Competition for Olejnik

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote:Then why bother with a bench keeper at all, just don't have one if the guy you're gonna have is not good enough to play. That's like making a seat belt out of bog roll, it'll be there, but useless in an accident, so why bother having it?

Matt.
Excellent point. Rice was crap - probably still is. There would no point having him back. I think he even lost his place at Truro for a while. Really would be a pointless signing. One of the worst keepers I have seen in 33 years watching Torquay.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I notice Jake cole is on trial at argyle

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14106455.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not like we'd sign both.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I don't think its feasible for a club like us, or indeed most in our league, to have two keepers capable of being a number one keeper. It would stretch the budget far too unneccasarily when most of us can agree we need to spend in other areas of the team. I think we should be looking at a definite number one, which we have in Olejnik, and a youngster or someone coming in from non-league, who we can develop for the future who is happy to be understudy. Obviously I am not saying we just take someone to make up the numbers, they need to be capable of coming in, but maybe someone who is decent and can become good enough for a regular starting spot, rather than someone who is good enough already.

Not sure if Rice is the player to do that, he didn't look great first time around at all so unless he has massively improved then I would rather give someone else a chance. I see Horsell got a trial with Yeovil recently. Maybe he would look to come back here. I personally thought he had some potential and was unlucky being thrown in at a time when we were in disarray. Either way I imagine ML will get this situation sorted by the end of the week and we'll hopefully be talking about an exciting new arrival!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

leetufc wrote: Either way I imagine ML will get this situation sorted by the end of the week and we'll hopefully be talking about an exciting new arrival!
It may well be sooner than that. Whether it's exciting or not is another matter.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by leetufc »

Trojan 67 wrote: It may well be sooner than that. Whether it's exciting or not is another matter.
That's why I said hopefully, not sure how anyone can be excited by a second choice keeper though tbh. Would just be nice to have someone in for the role, although I do remember the day when 'big' Kevin Hill used to be our second choice (presumably cos he could jump the highest) and Sillsy was called in goal against FGR all becuase Bucks didn't want a keeper on the bench
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Thread closed (pending official confirmation of a signed number 2) ;-)
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Has he entered it yet?? The competition that is.... :|
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Aye, Tim Sills did enter it and appeared in Wogan's Perfect Recall. ;-)
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

should get the answer tomorrow afternoon.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Surely he won't turn us down?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"