Martin Ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Now official. Unbelievable. Obviously we don't know the ins and outs but he must be bloody good at interviews if he was chosen over John Hughes and Nicky Forster. Get the feeling it might well be a Ling old season with this appointment.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Quite shocked about this news, seems to have come out of the blue, never heard his name mentioned once. Was hoping for Forster or Hughes tbh. Ling had a decent spell in charge of Orient but did not impress at Cambridge but everyone is allowed one bad spell in charge of a club i suppose (let's hope Buckle is about to have one!). If this does become official I won't be the happiest, but will nonetheless give the new man my full support.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Surprised their so quick, surprised it's him. One of those surprises is good, the other isn't.

@Fonda. Well his favourite player is Benyon, at least he's identified a target :).
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I would guess money would be an important factor, yes. But as my dear Grandmama always says 'you buy cheap, you buy twice'. Not really relevant, I just like the saying. Unless of course we end up sacking whoever come January. Very unlikely though.
Ramble over.

Now it's been confirmed I am disappointed that it is not Forster but this is who we've got so lets get behind him troops.
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

I'm not overly pleased but lets give the guy a chance.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

well, thank god the board took their time to make sure they made the right appointment !!!!! f**k me. on the face of it i'm surprised to say the least.

HOWEVER, let's not stick the knife in before he's even got his feet under the desk, let's see how his shopping list pans out over the next few days, and get behind him and the players, and look forward. at least we know now, and it made it onto the OS first, rather than the notice board in an aberdeen corner shop.

Good luck Martin, lets get things moving (forwards please)
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

now its official we just have to get behind him...give him a chance
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

**** Ling!! I'd rather have had Steve McLaren!!! or Mr Tumble!! Thanks board for knowing piss all about football you geriatric set of useless arseheads!! I just hope he proves us all wrong and does ok and we have to support him and see what happens. I've waited two weeks for martin ling. I'd have rather had a colonoscopy!!!
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Not a bad appointment at all. His playing and managing / career so far will have given him the vital contacts needed to operate on our level of budget and he has a proven record of success at League 2 level.

He is our manager now so let's welcome him and show him our support.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

well all i can really say is... no wonder why branston left!"
jocktheknife
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by jocktheknife »

For heavens sake.....

Ling ticks a lot of the boxes, been promoted from this league before and kept his side up in Lge 1.

Experienced and obviously has contacts, his teams also try and play the right way.

Hector you are a fool.....give the guy a chance.
....aka jmgull.
DerbyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by DerbyGull »

Well you never know he might be brilliant here!!! Wouldn't have been my choice but there we go.

Good luck Martin, i've a feeling you'll need it!!

A goalkeeper might be an idea for an early signing!!!
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

[quote="stefano"]Not a bad appointment at all. His playing and managing / career so far will have given him the vital contacts needed to operate on our level of budget and he has a proven record of success at League 2 level.

Yeah at Orient, a London club with more money and a prime location to lure in new players ahead of clubs like Torquay. At Cambridge meanwhile............
JoeHamling
Trialist
Trialist

Post by JoeHamling »

Nice warm welcome for the new manager. As the Orient fan says he turned a conference bound team into one which was Promoted to League 1 and are now a fairly well established team at that level.
I also hardly think he can be blamed for what happened at Cambridge, they're a sinking ship and have been since they lost to us. So personally, although unexpected welcome this appointment and will give him my full backing
Last edited by JoeHamling on 13 Jun 2011, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Win percentage at Orient: 37.6%
Win percentage at Cambridge: 33.7%

Sigh.