Bobby to Peterborough?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Southampton Gull wrote:Enquiry 1: "Is your keeper for sale"
Enquiry 2: "How much do you want?"
Enquiry 3: "Is that all, what's wrong with him?"

:)

:lol:

Probably not too far off the mark with that one Dave!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
knh31667
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: dave caldwell

Post by knh31667 »

should he go,realistically who would you like to see replace him.i would go for experience,someone who is a free agent,lives locally.....david james
blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

knh31667 wrote:should he go,realistically who would you like to see replace him.i would go for experience,someone who is a free agent,lives locally.....david james
He was on 15k a week last season. Wonder what he'd drop too now.

You're welcome to have Bevan back. Seriously though, Poke would be an excellent replacement for you, I wish we were signing him.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

15k at Bristol city, are you sure?
still keeping the faith
blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

bixieupnorth wrote:15k at Bristol city, are you sure?
Yes. Obviously he won't get anywhere near that now but surely he'd still get atleast 3-5k a week, depending on the club.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

No chance will James come here. Two years ago he was England's number one!!

Poke also will have better, more wealthy clubs after him, so I think that is also far-fetched.

I have faith in Ling though, he, unlike Buckle, appears to have good contacts around the game and knows who he can trust and who he can't.

Personally, although I think the SPL is a dire league, I think there must surely be some more keepers knocking around there with a similar attitude to Bobby (wanting to make a go of it in English football). I was amazed Ling managed to get us Olejnik so let's up he can pull another 'rabbit out of the hat' this time around.

If he goes that is, which is by no means a certainty yet...
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

With regard to DJ, I don't think it's that far fetched. Remember big Nev coming here?

James lives in Exeter, the whole reason he went to Bristol City was so he could be closer to his home. He was offered a contract by Sunderland and by Celtic at the time he went to Bristol. I think at 40/41 years old, DJ has made enough money out of the game for it not to be his prime concern. I think location and playing time are the 2 things he'll be after.

Realistically he only has 3 or 4 clubs to choose from and they are all in the lower leagues where his previous wage demands he knows are completely impossible for any of us.

As us and Exeter are the only 2 of the South West clubs possibly after a keeper again it narrows down his possible options.
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

Bobby's definitely gone - just swapped a couple of tweets with Peterborough's chairman who claims to have paid a 'big wedge' for him.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

AndyC wrote:Bobby's definitely gone - just swapped a couple of tweets with Peterborough's chairman who claims to have paid a 'big wedge' for him.
Seems very much so (Posh Chairman's tweet below):

"Just signed new GK for posh. Mr consistent with 20 clean sheets last year & a superb addition to our squad to compete with Young Joe for No1.
Paid big wedge for the lad but a great acquisition for Posh & the Gaffers no 1 target. Plenty of FL experience as well!
That's 4 down & more to come this week!"

Good luck Bobby - you are true class and will be very much missed.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

hearing it was £300k.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

royalgull wrote:hearing it was £300k.
Where from royalgull? 300k - was hoping for more : (
(would not call that big wedge!)
TUST member 328
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Richinns wrote: Where from royalgull? 300k - was hoping for more : (
(would not call that big wedge!)
Local journo on twitter whose usually pretty reliable
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Good luck Bobby, shame it was only for just the one season but you deserve this move.

That aside, I think you have to consider this as an excellent piece of business for TUFC. To have picked him up for nothing, then to have got him on an extended contract a few months later which was key, and eventually sell him on for serious money is great business for a club like ours.

If the Posh Chairman refers to it as "a big wedge" then we can rest assured it was for a lot of money. The figure I have been hearing is £350k, but to be honest anything over £300k is decent. So not quite our record fee for a keeper, as we robbed Crystal Palace of £400k for Matthew Gregg all those years ago!

Hopefully, with this news, we may now start to see one or two quality additions being made to the squad ... starting with a keeper. Personally my money would be on Glenn Morris who was at Southend last season, probably isn't in Bobby's class but is nevertheless a solid L2 keeper and is, of course, well known to Lingy.
Last edited by CP Gull on 18 Jun 2012, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

CP Gull wrote:Good luck Bobby, shame it was only for just the one season but you deserve this move.

That aside, I think you have to consider this as an excellent piece of business for TUFC. To have picked him up for nothing, then to have got him on an extended contract a few months later which was key, and eventually sell him on for serious money is great business for a club like ours.

If the Posh Chairman refers to it as "a big wedge" then we can rest assured it was for a lot of money. The figure I have been hearing is £350k, but to be honest anything over £300k is decent. So not quite our record fee for a keeper, as I believe we robbed Crystal Palaceof £400k for Matthew Gregg all those years ago!

Hopefully, with this news, we may now start to see one or two quality additions being made to the squad ... Starting with a keeper. Personally my money would be on Glenn Morris at Southend, who probably isn't in Bobby's class but is nevertheless a solid L2 keeper and is, of course, well known to Lingy.
Very good point CP, although I think he is probably worth more than 300-350k it is all 100% profit.

Hope Mr Ling has his replacement lined up!
TUST member 328
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I think £350k is a fair fee for a L2 goalkeeper. As said, we signed him on a free and only had him for one season, so it's a very good profit and should help to soften the blow of Ellis and especially O'Kane. To get in over half a million for the three sounds better than losing O'Kane for £175k.

It was a terrific season from Bobby and he's earnt his move to the Championship.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats