New Chairman/Chairwoman - Thea Bristow

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

ferrarilover wrote:
again, the fanbase gets what it wants (Baker replaced) and uses the decision as a stick with which to beat the club.

Matt.
I've seen absolutely no great wave of enthusiasm for Simon Baker to be replaced. I've seen a couple of people say he should be replaced, sure, but that's it. I maintain that the timing is bizarre and requires explanation.
TUST member 203
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

If you're not along the dissenters, then the post is not for your attention. I don't know enough about it to say whether or not the Chairman makes any practical difference to the day to day running of the club, and since Simon is a decent chap, I was happy with him. Those who seemed to know more about it don't seem to rate him. Time will perhaps tell.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

This is all a little bizarre. From reading the piece on the OS it doesn't sound like Mrs Bristow has any board room knowledge, save what she has gained from being in our board room, let alone any previous experience of chairing a board of directors. If this was a sudden decision from Simon Baker to stand down as chairman the normal event would be for an experienced hand to take over in the short-term until such a time as a permanent replacement can be made. I really hope Mrs Bristow hasn't had this unwelcomely foisted upon her by others on the board.
All very fishy and a full explanation would be appreciated by all fans I am sure.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I am pretty sure Mrs Bristow didn't have any knowledge of running a company in her previous life before winning the lottery. Why on earth would we change the chairman three games before the end of the season. But this is Torquay United - will we get an explanation, no chance. Perhaps her first decision will be to get us a proper fit goalkeeper by Saturday - could happen couldn't it - then I woke up!
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

I've got to say that this is inspired if handled correctly. Clearly she can do no worse than the Chuckle Brothers. It's time for her to shout the rallying cry, to the team, management and fans. Come the moment come the leader...................GO FOR IT THEA!!!!
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Philgull
let alone any previous experience of chairing a board of directors.
Maybe that will prove to be a blessing. Just as they say a camel is a horse designed by a committee, by the time we have a dozen or so directors giving opinions on what the season ticket policy should be, a few days after announcing it publically. you find yourself making a new announcement saying you've now changed your mind.

Mourinho had no knowledge of football management as he just did a bit of work as interpreter and some translating, but he gradually learned the ropes of a different job within a club. Not that I'm advocating that Thea should also be selecting the team just yet, but there have been Chairman who have installed themselves as Team Manager ;-)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

EddUK12 , just read through the whole thread and it looks like you are the only one who may have understood it :clap: , sorry if I missed something along the way.

Have to be honest and say that does surprise me, but thinking about.I am not sure I am right in saying this so Budliegh or anyone else for that matter feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't money invested into the club convert to shares.

If so, then Thea Bristow is likely to own atleast if not more than 50% of the club, she may well have been advised to take control of the club, but of course that maybe far from the truth, it may down to Thea Bristow being very popular with the fans and move to head off bad feeling.

That is why I think this is actually a very smart move, Baker and Phillips are which ever way you look it at the two with the finger on the button and hands on the purse strings, defeat to Barnet will leave us in massive trouble moving those two into the back ground to me is an obvious move, because at the end of day we may well win, but we could also lose.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Gullscorer wrote:As usual with any new turn of events at Torquay United, there's so much negativity..
I wouldn't mind, but it doesn't seem to be based on anything. A load of speculation with no evidence at all. People making assumptions and then moan when those assumptions seem to result in negative outcomes.

Maybe Thea is an MBA. Maybe she is on the Board of a dozen Fortune 500 companies, but she chooses to remain anonymous. Maybe Simon Baker has 3 weeks to live, so has been replaced so he may enjoy the last few days of his life in peace. Maybe she's taking over running the show in exchange for as non-repayable, interest free loan of £1,000,000 which we will use to buy our way out of the division next year. None of us knows and making up your own story and then bashing the club with it is just about the stupidest thing I have ever encountered.

If the Board want us to know, then we will be told. If the Board doesn't want us to know, then we won't. TUFC PLC is a business. You wouldn't expect Sainsbury's to justify their senior management decisions to its customers as they come through the door, so why is Torquay United any different?

Matt.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

ferrarilover wrote:
I wouldn't mind, but it doesn't seem to be based on anything. A load of speculation with no evidence at all. People making assumptions and then moan when those assumptions seem to result in negative outcomes.

Maybe Thea is an MBA. Maybe she is on the Board of a dozen Fortune 500 companies, but she chooses to remain anonymous. Maybe Simon Baker has 3 weeks to live, so has been replaced so he may enjoy the last few days of his life in peace. Maybe she's taking over running the show in exchange for as non-repayable, interest free loan of £1,000,000 which we will use to buy our way out of the division next year. None of us knows and making up your own story and then bashing the club with it is just about the stupidest thing I have ever encountered.

If the Board want us to know, then we will be told. If the Board doesn't want us to know, then we won't. TUFC PLC is a business. You wouldn't expect Sainsbury's to justify their senior management decisions to its customers as they come through the door, so why is Torquay United any different?

Matt.
Because more than a business, before being a business even, football is a sport. Without the fans there is no sport, there is no club, there is no Torquay United. We may not be paying shareholders in the traditional business sense but if the board want to keep the club together and have something to direct going in to the future then they need to converse with us and explain just what the hell has gone on this season...
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

And without customers, there is no Sainsbury's.

Sadly, I think your feeling is round the wrong way. Football clubs are businesses first and entertainment second. Key strategic business decisions are not something any business, will be happy to make public, no matter the strength of feeling among the customer base.

Matt.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I had no problem with Simon Baker being chairman. I have no problem with Thea Bristow becoming chairperson. What I do have a problem with is the timing of all this. Why couldn't this have waited until after 27th April (last day of the season)? All very bizarre as several posters have already said.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Matt, Sainsburys constantly talks to it's customers, it also constantly talks to it's staff aswell. A lot of Sainsburys key strategic business decisions are made from that feedback, where do you think the idea for 'brand match' came from, and the change in advertising campaign from having Jamie Oliver prancing around to ' live well for less' A long with many other things these key strategic business decisions , are driven mainly by customers and and what customers tell the company is important to them and thats why it does come out and justify them , and pretty sure tescos and other supermarkets operate the same way.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

tomogull wrote:I had no problem with Simon Baker being chairman. I have no problem with Thea Bristow becoming chairperson. What I do have a problem with is the timing of all this. Why couldn't this have waited until after 27th April (last day of the season)? All very bizarre as several posters have already said.
Until we're relegated, then the forum lights up with "Why wasn't this change made when we still had a chance to stay up, far too late now, this club is an embarrassment..."

Dave, I'm sure Sainsbury's do talk to their customers and staff, but I've never once been in there and been either consulted on the composition of the Board or informed of their strategic plans for the future.

Matt.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Thea Bristow may be a person, as we all are, and if she were a man she would be chairMAN, but she is a woman and is therefore chairWOMAN.. :-D

Of course, to my mind, to call anybody a CHAIR is downright insulting.. :@