Retain or Release?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

NickGull wrote:Overview thread stickied at the top. If someone does know what contracts Hutchings and Sullivan got and I have it wrong then please let me know! Cheers.
I reckon you are right on Hutchings and Sullivan BUT Thompson and McKenzie have both got another year left. Strictly speaking we should also add Karl Baker to that list of the pros contracted to June 2013 but I think there is little doubt we have seen the last of him.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

MF68 wrote:Grimes is a great shout as is Craig Stanley. Surely a main priority would be a goalkeeper, Poke gone backwards since first spell.

Is it significant that Knill previously manged sides full of strapping 6 footers (danny been unsighted lately), and where will Chris Brass fit in if Taylor stays as the WMN reports?

are you having a giraffe?

we would have lost a lot more goals without him between the sticks!

you see stevegull, its not just you mate!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

CP Gull wrote: I reckon you are right on Hutchings and Sullivan BUT Thompson and McKenzie have both got another year left. Strictly speaking we should also add Karl Baker to that list of the pros contracted to June 2013 but I think there is little doubt we have seen the last of him.
Cheers CP. Wasn't sure on Thompson/McKenzie either. I would add Baker but as you say there is little point really.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Those that we should be giving priority to resigning are clearly Howe, Saah and Downes who have all had decent seasons. I also think (especially if Knill is made Manager) that we will look to retain Jarvis who has clearly impressed him and I think Yeoman will probably get another year.

Beyond that, personally, I would not be too fussed. But that said, I think Oastler and Rice have a reasonable chance of being offered extensions perhaps along with Morris, although he is a difficult one as Knill really hasn't seen much of him and to be honest I don't think he is a Knill type of winger or even centre mid come to that so wouldn't be that surprised if he is let go.

That leaves Leadbitter, Cruise, Easton, Macklin, Stevens, Halpin and Baker sweating on new offers. On the basis that the new man will I think look to reduce the size and correct the balance (far too many wingers) of the squad, as well as look to bring in his own men, I think there is every chance most of the above will be let go.

I think we could lose Howe and possibly Saah, although hopefully they will stay and I remain hopeful that Downes will extend his stay. I wouldn't be that surprised if Craig is transfer listed either as he really didn't seem to fit in with Knill's plans.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Sullivan got two years to start june 13
Hutchings got 2 and a half starting jan 13 so just over two remaining
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

SNW You seem to have forgotten that Poke was a Conference Keeper 3 years ago, admittedly a very capable one, but he is now 3 years older and not the same reliability.
Im not alone I dont think with this view.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

MF68 wrote:SNW You seem to have forgotten that Poke was a Conference Keeper 3 years ago, admittedly a very capable one, but he is now 3 years older and not the same reliability.
Im not alone I dont think with this view.
and your point is? joe hart played for shrewsbury. as far as poke is concerned, there arnt many keepers in the league that are better than him.
who would you prefer? and could we get them to the bay?
im sure you are not alone - but then neither am I.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

With literally two or three exceptions, those who remain/re-sign at Plainmoor will become the "squad" and new better players coming in will become the "starting XI".

This, from my viewpoint, sends out a clear message of intent to retained playing staff. It might also rejuvenate the dumbed down flagging support.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
bigleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by bigleigh »

Wasn't Morris given a 6 month extension by Ling to his contract due to his injury?

Personally I'd like to see only Downes, Mansell, Bodin and Ostler stay, the rest can go. I'm hoping that Bodin and Ostler come good. The team need a good clear out.

Howe was offered a contract extension back in October but declined on signing as he wanted to keep his options open, but after the transfer window shut when no one came in for him he wanted to sign the new contract. The board knew that the club were in a relegation battle and without knowing what league we'd be in next season withdrew the offer. They weren't prepared to tie Howe up on I'd imagine top wages if we were in the conference, and rightly so. Also he's missed 6 games this season through suspension which could've cost us.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Is it significant that Knill previously manged sides full of strapping 6 footers (danny been unsighted lately), and where will Chris Brass fit in if Taylor stays as the WMN reports?[/quote]

are you having a giraffe?

now that would be an idea of huge proportions. i wonder how many headers we would win. imagine a jarvis shot skyed up to the roof of the family stand. Untill a giraffe suddenly pops up and deflects it into goal. Can't see any other league players being able to defend that.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Surprised to see so many positive comments about Joe Oastler? I think he's a bit of a calamity most of the time and wouldn't be on my 'keep' list for sure. As for Poke, I'm inclined to agree with those that think he's not looked as solid as in his previous stays. He still makes the same brilliant saves - but he's more inclined to make a mistake now than previously. Perhaps Olejnik has ruined it for all subsequent keepers here - we won't see his like again, and for that piece of business alone, Martin Ling does deserve our thanks!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22352862 - As widely predicted, Benyon has been let go by Southend.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Somebody pick up the phone...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Aye, sign the falling over failure, watch him get 20 non offside goals before the January window then sell to the highest bidding mug and reap a second financial windfall.

:nod: :whip:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

The 'falling over failure'. Yeah, thanks for your efforts Elliot.