5 favourite/best players since watching TUFC

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Brucie is right, although he missed Robin Stubbs from his list.
I must defer to Tomogull as I only started watching United at the end of the 1962-3 season (saw Brian Handley play as centre forward even before Stubbsy). All the senile delinquents around me at the back of the Pop. side who are local (I am not, being from the North East) say Don Mills was the best ever, and always give an honourable mention to Sammy Collins.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Favourite - Tommy Spratt :bow:

Best - Robin Stubbs

Favourite - Andy Donnelly

Best - John Turner

Favourite - Chris Hargreaves

Best - Tommy Mitchinson (The General of Plainmoor) :bow:

Favourite - Bruce Stuckey ( (8) Bruce! Bruce! Bruce! (8) ) :clap:

Best - Rodney Jack

Favourite - John Bond (for having a Tuck Shop in Torre :) )

Best - Jimmy Dunne

It's interesting to note that some posters don't have as their favourite player the same one as beneath their avatar. What's that about then ?

Oops, go edit.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Well, well Trojan - I bet there aren't many who can remember the halcyon days of Frank O'Farrell who would name Tommy Spratt as one of their favourite/best players. Most couldn't understand why he was picked week after week. And yet you're probably right - he was probably one of those we now call a 'player's player' and Mr O'Farrell (and you !) obviously saw in Tommy Spratt what most fans couldn't see.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

I go along with Mr. Tomogull here. I can recall Tommy Spratt being reduced to tears by barracking from the crowd; a very unusual occurrence (I mean excessive barracking). O.k, players do get barracked, but not in the way that Spratt was. The recent treatment of Bodin is nothing to what Spratt received. As far as I can recall he wasn't a bad player, but nothing out of the ordinary.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

And speaking of silly chants, the 'Bruce! Bruce! Bruce! Bruce! Bruce!' must rank among the silliest.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

wivelgull wrote:And speaking of silly chants, the 'Bruce! Bruce! Bruce! Bruce! Bruce!' must rank among the silliest.
Used later for Rioch as well !
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

tomogull wrote:Well, well Trojan - I bet there aren't many who can remember the halcyon days of Frank O'Farrell who would name Tommy Spratt as one of their favourite/best players. Most couldn't understand why he was picked week after week. And yet you're probably right - he was probably one of those we now call a 'player's player' and Mr O'Farrell (and you !) obviously saw in Tommy Spratt what most fans couldn't see.

I was at Ellacombe Primary School when I first watched TUFC and most home games I had to wait until the gates opened at half-time to see my hero because I didn't have any pocketmoney (I'd like to say it was spent on drugs, sex and rock 'n roll, but it was spent on sweets). To me, Tommy Spratt for TUFC was like Jimmy Greaves was for Spurs and England. What did Greaves do for Spurs and England? Eff all for 90+mins except for a second it took to stick the ball in the net. That was my Tommy and he got more League goals in the 1965/66 promotion season than Robin Stubbs.

:bow:
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

not that i didnt think graham was a really good player johnnyfive, just too many to name, been going since 1965, so many great players stubbs, fryatt, smith ,burgess, clarke, scott, sermani , tearse, willie brown the names are endless. :bow:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

ROADRUNNER wrote:not that i didnt think graham was a really good player johnnyfive, just too many to name, been going since 1965, so many great players stubbs, fryatt, smith ,burgess, clarke, scott, sermani , tearse, willie brown the names are endless. :bow:
Another one who did eff all for 90+ except he normally mis-kicked/slipped/fell over/was sat on his 'rse BEFORE he scored. :clap:

:bow:
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

yes trojan and he missed more than he scored but he was a twenty goals a season player, oh willie willie, willie willie willie willie brown , :bow:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

(Quote: Wivelgull) To me, Tommy Spratt for TUFC was like Jimmy Greaves was for Spurs and England. What did Greaves do for Spurs and England? Eff all for 90+mins except for a second it took to stick the ball in the net. That was my Tommy and he got more League goals in the 1965/66 promotion season than Robin Stubbs.

Couldn't believe that Tommy Spratt scored more than Robin Stubbs in the 1965/66 promotion season so I donned my anorak and you're right, Trojan - he did !!! 19 goals ..... and I remember him as a midfield player. What a player !!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

I didn't say that.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

SORRY !!! It was Trojan. Senility reigns .......
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

I started in 1997, so here's mine.

BEST:
Rodney Jack - Without question the best TUFC player I've seen. Just loved watching him play.
David Graham - Not much to choose between him and Rodney. So much natural talent and what a finisher.
Alex Russell - Best central midfielder we've had? Quite possibly. Certainly the best passer of a ball.
Jason Fowler - A close second to Aggy. Unsung hero of that promotion season. So composed on the ball.
Neville Southall - The fact that he left us to join Bradford, then of the Premier League, at the age of 42, says it all. Best keeper we've had in my opinion. Remember one game up at Northampton where we went down to 8 men and lost 3-0. Without Big Nev, it would've been 8 or 9-0. Pulled off world class save after world class save.

FAVOURITE:
As above, but with Eifion Williams and Kevin Hill featuring in there somewhere as well. And Andy Gurney, Paul Gibbs, Steve McCall, Martin Gritton, Steve Woods, Tim Sills, Chris Hargreaves, Manse and Nicho all in the mix as well. Too many to choose from!
PlainmoorBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorBob »

Best ever:
Southall
Holmes
Sharpe
Elliott
Saunders
Jack