The ideal squad situation

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

supergulls wrote:No Brian was getting quite upset and told Renne exactly what he thought of him, but Renne was just laughing and saying I'm off down the bank to count my money and he said the above figure to Brian replied take your suitcase and don't come back.
sounds like theres a bit of an ego problem there doesnt it.

i dont care how good he thinks he is or whether he scored a few goals, he wasnt worth being on that sort of money.not at this level, not at our club. its true what they say, the football worlds gone mad. :O

does anyone know who our highest paid player ever has been. if anyone has ever been on more than £2250 a week i'll be astounded. :-o
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Dear God I hope that wasn't true, if so, Martin Ling really was a total imbecile. How any player can command a wage like that in League 2 is beyond me. Howe was a good player, but not that good.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Brightboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Brightboy »

Rene seemed to me a pretty jovial chap so I too would be massively surprised if he hadn't exaggerated his wage packet quite a bit... I mean does any league 2 club spend over 2000 a week on a player?!
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Brightboy wrote:Rene seemed to me a pretty jovial chap so I too would be massively surprised if he hadn't exaggerated his wage packet quite a bit... I mean does any league 2 club spend over 2000 a week on a player?!
I think plenty do. The problem arises when they spend it on rubbish.

I don't know why people are surprised Howe was on that sort of money; we were paying £1000 a week to our top player(s) ten years ago (graham was on £1250 before he left) so it would be daft to assume we had continued to pay at the same level.

Saying that, just from the way knill has been speaking I get the feeling that we aren't spending that sort of money just on one star player, but more a collection of players getting a bit more than average. Could mean there is still a little wiggle room, although I think he needs to ensure he has an emergency fund for loans.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

I just don't believe he was on over £2k a year - that is the same salary a large league 1/championship club paid to a first team member of the last couple seasons. When we signed Rene he had just been released by Peterborough and we were taking a chance on him - there would have been no way we would have had room for both him and Olejnik in the budget who came to us as a regular in an SPL club. He never signed any revised contract so was still on the same terms when he left
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

exilegull wrote:I just don't believe he was on over £2k a year - that is the same salary a large league 1/championship club paid to a first team member of the last couple seasons. When we signed Rene he had just been released by Peterborough and we were taking a chance on him - there would have been no way we would have had room for both him and Olejnik in the budget who came to us as a regular in an SPL club. He never signed any revised contract so was still on the same terms when he left
??
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

It's silly season I feel. Think about it people. 2k a week equates to 8ka month or 96ka year. Our turnover was a couple of million a year or so ago, so 55% of that leaves a millionish player budget under new rules. I seem to remember the figure of 1.3m being mentioned. All ball park of course.

Renee on a tenth of the player budget, as an unknown entity? It's have to question that logic though. I mean, was Martin Ling drunk when he agreed that contract????
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

:rofl:

careful. :rules:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

SteveDeckchair wrote:It's silly season I feel. Think about it people. 2k a week equates to 8ka month or 96ka year. Our turnover was a couple of million a year or so ago, so 55% of that leaves a millionish player budget under new rules. I seem to remember the figure of 1.3m being mentioned. All ball park of course.

Renee on a tenth of the player budget, as an unknown entity? It's have to question that logic though. I mean, was Martin Ling drunk when he agreed that contract????
The contract mentioned above would have been agreed over 2 years ago before the financial fair play rule was in place so you could spend whatever you want to on wages. And if my memory serves me right wasn't we loosing an extra 100k a year ?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

We might well have been, but it certainly wasn't because we were paying Rene £2250/week.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"