Martin Ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Well done Shane, that whole post is excellent, but the last line is a work of art.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

Well said Fonda!
This thread has become very repetitive with same BR and CU fans opinions :| Their opinions were interesting debate the first time, now it's just a case of copy and pasting previous posts to gain-say anyone else's opinions.

One thing I noticed from our time in the conference, is that you need to play a completely different style of football to get out of that league. Nicho launching it up to the Sills ring any bells? Whereas you can actually play your way out of League 2.

tbh Buckle had it right with his pattern of play in the conference and got us out of there, which I'm sure we're all eternally grateful.
He then started trying to play more attractive football in League 2, which also reaped its rewards. I think he would have come a cropper attempting this in the conference, and we'd still be there now if that was the case.

Ling wants to get his teams playing football first and foremost and imo that was never going to work at Cambridge, but would at Leyton, and indeed it did, where he had the players capable of carrying out the passing game.
Different managers work well in different leagues. I think now we're seeing the Ling that was successful at Leyton because he has a team that suits his style, and no disrespect to the CU fans but they're comparing apples with oranges...
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Fonda wrote:Can i summarise...? Rovers think Buckle is the new Messiah, we think him nothing more than a very naughty boy. We're very satisfied with they way Ling has started, Cambridge would have us believe it won't last. And that's it. After 31 pages, is anyone else getting the idea there isn't going to be any change in those opinions for a little while yet? There aren't going to be any sudden concessions. I can't see a widespread moment of clarity where we all suddenly say 'well, as you've now said the same thing 700 times, i now believe it'. Shall we leave it there then? Maybe we could revist this in a couple of months time, you know, when some football has been played?

well said shane.

personally, i dont see what all the fuss is about.

i dont give a s**t what brfc or cufc fans say.

thanks.

and goodnight.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I think what Shane is saying here, is all for the moment should agree to dissagree, agreed that could work, then we could revisit this thread after a few matchs and see whether everyone will still agree to dissargee, or strongly dissagree, or strongly agree , or maybe niether argee or dissagree as to whether Ling is a good manager or not. :)

Ah well of to work now,were's my horse, Martin Ling's yellow army :scarf:
Formerly known as forevertufc
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Having lived near Cambridge for 2 years now, I have noticed that CUFC are very few and far between, but when they do venture out of the shadows... they're all complete idiots!

I have still not yet met a CUFC fan who you could have a conversation about anything non-football with. This is sumed up by our CUFC fans who are visiting us, they seemingly have no ability to talk about anything else. I can only compare them to Dementors from the Harry Potter films, trying to suck the life out of everything. Miserable b*ggers, we'll end up having suicidical CUFC fans all over our forum soon.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
LOFC Chris
New Signing
New Signing

Post by LOFC Chris »

Hi, Orient fan here in peace.

From my point of view Cambridge United had many problems at their club and Mr Ling was the scapegoat. He'll do well with Torquay, knows the division much better than the conference and worked miracles in L2 at our club. I don't believe you will make the top 6 this season but you will still have a decent one in my opinion.

Ling likes to work steadily and should have you going good guns in this division in a couple of years. Should be able to maintain mid table in the meantime, which considering the budget is ok in itself.

Cambridge wanted 'promotion or bust'. This is an entirely different job which will suit Ling.

I really hope you have a good season and will be looking out for your results.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Cheers Chris for your sentiments which are reciprocated by myself as a Gull and i'm sure most other Torquay fans. Its an interesting theory about Ling needing the time and stability to do well. He will get that at Plainmoor so long as we aren't seriously involved in any relegation battles and the football is not bad on a weekly basis. This job may suit him and within a couple of years we might be looking forward to another promotion season.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

I certainly don't want to sound as if I'm complaining about the increase in output from the OS or communication from the manager, but is he broadcasting our tactics to a slightly too public audience? In an article about Manse he's said we may be susceptible to counter attacks and on the Southampton build-up he's revealed we won't be going at them in the first 20 minutes.

While hardly giving everything away and probably being obvious to an opposition manager who watches us and has half a brain, should these cards be kept closer to his chest?
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Perhaps it's a bluff? Or a double bluff? I don't think opposition managers would pay that much attention, because it simply might be bravado.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

He isn't a stupid bloke, perhaps this is a bit of a smokescreen?
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Trojan 67 wrote:We have some very talented young footballers at the club who can actually play football. Agreed ?

Regardless of whether "Dinger" (Ling) can change from plan A to any other plan, he does like his sides to play football. At Orient, apparently, he had players who could play. At Cambridge, apparently, he didn't.

If Dinger can bring in footballers who fit in with the footballers already here then although there'll be a bedding in process initially, we should see the passing football of which we have become accustomed.

I look forward to the new season. :nod:

It got to 12 pages before I made a comment on the appointment of Dinger. Some posters were absolutely scathing on the appointment. Now signings have been made, pre season done and gone, 4 points are on the board and a battling performance against the Saints, what do posters think now about Dinger ? Changed the tune ?
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Trojan 67 wrote:
It got to 12 pages before I made a comment on the appointment of Dinger. Some posters were absolutely scathing on the appointment. Now signings have been made, pre season done and gone, 4 points are on the board and a battling performance against the Saints, what do posters think now about Dinger ? Changed the tune ?
I'm still happy with my comments on page 4 on the day of his appointment Trojan!

Although it was the days before the internet there were quite a number of supporters who criticised the appointment of a certain Frank O'Farrell from a non-league club to take the place of the popular and long serving Eric Webber. The tune certainly changed then when he got us promoted in his first season and then finished 7th, 4th, and 6th in the next three seasons in what is now League 1.

There will be ups and downs this season as there always are but I will be surprised if we are not in the top ten for most of the season which is challenging for a play off place again :scarf:
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

Im sure there will be some delicious humble pie doing the rounds...
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

stefano wrote:

I'm still happy with my comments on page 4 on the day of his appointment Trojan!

Stefano being one of the few to accept the appointment with good grace and hope. :nod: :-D
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Sexy_Gulls
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Sexy_Gulls »

At the end of the Bristol match the players came over to applaud the fans, while Ling stood back letting the players soak up the plaudits. Good to see the manager giving the credit to the players, rather than being the centre of attention.

On a more important footballing matter, it is nice to see some of the problems that I saw in the first game against Burton fixed by the Rovers game.
Namely the link-up play between midfield and defence, Morris in particular was trying lots of balls that Howe and Kee would never have got to (as they're a bit slow) against Burton but buy next week he was playing to feet and trying to find room for a return. The defence was also much improved, with players seemingly more inclined to take responsibility and win the ball.