Martin ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Magpiegull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Magpiegull »

Appointed Swindon Town Manager this morning. Very pleased for him and hope he does well
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Congratulations Martin. Good luck.
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Superb news, and I wish him and Swindon every success. Hopefully our club shop will shortly be stocking Torquay United/Swindon Town half and half scarves.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

This is excellent news for everyone, especially Ling.

Re-reading this thread might also stop the history revisionism that's being going on. Our fans were almost entirely against Ling and in favour of his dismissal. Of course, the bigger picture was not explained to the fans and not handled properly by the owners at the time. It's been a horrible time in the club's history ever since.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Good luck to him, he was treated very badly be the board, who instead of supporting him, sacked him & employed the clown Knill
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

wodger of awabia wrote:Good luck to him, he was treated very badly be the board, who instead of supporting him, sacked him & employed the clown Knill
:goodpost:
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Best of luck to him. As one of the very few that was horrified at both his dismissal, and the manner in which it was done, I really hope that this job works out for him.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Wonderful news! So pleased for Martin.
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 03 Nov 2015, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I was delighted to hear about Martin Ling. A richly deserved job for him. He is a good manager and I wish him well. He was treated very badly by the Board at Torquay, shamefully.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

gullintwoplaces wrote:I was delighted to hear about Martin Ling. A richly deserved job for him. He is a good manager and I wish him well. He was treated very badly by the EX-Board at Torquay, shamefully.
edited for accuracy.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: edited for accuracy.
Thank you for that! But at the time they treated him shamefully by sacking him they WERE the Board. I didn't say that the current Board treated him shamefully. Award for pedantry.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Lets hope for Swindons sake he doesn't sign Chris McPhee.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Despite the manner of his departure I believe Martin has a soft spot for TUFC. If I were Nico I'd be looking to see if Swindon have a decent keeper/mid-fielder/striker available for loan.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Best of luck to him. As one of the very few that was horrified at both his dismissal, and the manner in which it was done, I really hope that this job works out for him.
I don't think there were 'very few' horrified by the shameful manner in which Martin Ling was dismissed, Scott. He's taken on a tough job with Swindon at the foot of Div 1 but I also wish him the best of luck for future success. In reply to Brucie's post, Chris McPhee proved to be a useful squad player during Martin Ling's time at Plainmoor.
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Not sure about revisionism - I have said before that the existing board at the time chose to allow some very nasty rumours to float around unchallenged.

If supporters had known then what they know now I think opinions would have been very different.

Not suggesting personal details should have been released (you couldn't have done that) but some statement of fact would have afforded a super manager some dignity.