Chorley FC v Torquay United, 23rd November 2019

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 08:45 I think that a lot of people are missing the point. Gary Johnson is on record as saying that this squad is good enough to be competitive in this league. Gary Johnson, last January, signed most of the squad on extended contracts. In yesterday's Post match interview, Johnson says that the current squad isn't good enough and he is looking to move some players on and bring in some new players ASAP. That's not me talking, that's Gary Johnson. I find it hard to understand that a manager of his experience has got it so wrong.
I think you'll find that he was referring to the fact that he needs to bring in players due to the injuries.
And I'm dying to know what hes got wrong.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

dawlishmatt wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 10:56 Midlandgull. I agree with most of what you say. There is no doubt that Gary Johnson is a great manager, his cv proves this. I just believe that he has made several mistakes during his time as our manager. I have always believed that to win the league, you need a minimum of 90 points and can only afford to loose 7 or 8 matches all season. This season so far, there is no outstanding team, this can be seen by the fact that despite our disappointing last 2 league results, we, had we had beaten Sutton or chorley and other results had gone our way, we could have gone top of the league. My worry is that sides like Bromley, yeovil and others have the squads capable of putting a promotion winning run together, whilst I believe Torquay do not.
What mistakes has he made then? I refer back to where we have come from and it is such an incredible turnaround and I actually don't think we could've done much better. If I said to you when we lost 1-0 at home to Chippenham in the NLS in Sept 2018 that in 1 year and 2 months we would win the NLS and be 6 points off of top of the NL what would've you said? Pure fantasy probably (I know I wouldn't have believed it).

Had we not been unfortunate with injuries recently we could well be top now - I hear your point we have to have a squad that can cope with injuries and suspensions etc but this is a pretty exception injury situation. Give it a few weeks and we will have more players back.

I think we should get Ryan Dickson back myself. Gary will also be looking to dip into the transfer market for sure. Luckily it is only November and we are finely poised - other sides will have blips, injuries etc. In Gary we trust!
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Supernickywroe. In my opinion, Gary Johnson in signing ten or eleven players on extended contracts in January was a big mistake. Secondly, what's the point in signing 2 kids as first year professionals if they hardly get a look in. Yesterday we were without Jamie Reid and yet we had a full time professional in Koszela who scored a hat trick midweek on the bench. Surely with such a depleted squad and playing against the team bottom of the league, starting with Koszela would have been a perfect opportunity. When Kalala starts and things aren't going well, Kalala always seems to be the scapegoat. Bringing on Duku who has been poor this season after an hour, instead of Koszela seems baffling to me. If the lad isn't going enough then why the hell did Johnson give him a professional contract
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Would you like a shovel to help dig that ever increasing hole you're sliding into?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

dawlishmatt wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 08:20 southampton Gull. Do you really think that the squad when fully fit, is good enough to win this league? May i suggest a trip to your psychiatrist and get them to increase your anti psychotic medication dosage. With a fully fit squad, i think we may have an outside chance of the play offs. PS Uncle Clarke says hi
Stupid use of language- disagree by all means but why use terms like that to denigrate those with differing opinions.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Southampton Gull. I'm so sorry but unfortunately gardening is not my thing, perhaps I'll ask the Mrs when I get home this evening. All the garden equipment in the shed belongs to her. I guess you don't have that problem in your household as you already have a hole in your home, an arsehole!!!!!!! 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁
Uncle Clarke really does love you Dave.
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Dawlish Matt - you are posting loopy style. Calm down.
The Gulls can still go up - even as Champions - early days.
Yessssss !
Stay behind the Manager and the Team.
Just two league defeats and you fall apart.

(I see Steve Cooper is your favourite - FWIW I know Steve quite well.)
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

What he’s got wrong is signing manny duku. When he’s been scouting him since this time last year... we tried to sign him in January. That’s what he got wrong. He’s got the back 3 formation wrong. This doesn’t means he’s a bad manager. I love the guy, he’s the best manager we’ve had. Everyone makes mistakes. It’ll come good again. Just going through a rough patch.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Maybe things havn't worked out for Duku, but its not easy coming into a struggling team, when he's been short on gametime.

Personally I would give him a go up front with Janneh on Tuesday night. Janneh is obviously suffering from not having midfielders to load the bullets at the moment but he needs some support up front.

Koszela is young and lacks any experience whatsoever - when Duku/Keating came on yesterday they were the two oldest players in our team!!

Perhaps it isn't so "baffling" why GJ turned to those two.

Work that out Einstein.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I don't know of any team that would be able to function normally with the amount of injuries that we have had to deal with. At the start of the season Buse wasn't even making the matchday squad, many even couldnt see Vincent making the starting 11 with the players we had. So to me those two lads have been incredible. To then lose the most experienced player in Liam Davis is a massive loss. And then we lose our top goal scorer Jamie Reid.
Lets take Salah and 6-7 other superstars out of Liverpool's side and see how they do.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Conor put on Instagram last Saturday 2 weeks with a photo of him on the pitch. So he’ll be back for Stockport. I say give him 30 mins in the second half. Build him up. Then start him in the FA Trophy 2 weeks later.

Anyone know how serious Vincent injury is?
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 14:34 Conor put on Instagram last Saturday 2 weeks with a photo of him on the pitch. So he’ll be back for Stockport. I say give him 30 mins in the second half. Build him up. Then start him in the FA Trophy 2 weeks later.

Anyone know how serious Vincent injury is?
Vincent’s was just a kick and as per the TUFC Instagram was training last week, so reasonable to presume he might be back on Tuesday.

Dawlishmatt, you are a complete clown. We’re lucky to have the best manager in the league and you’re having a dig at him for marginally losing two games with 75% of his starting 11 out injured? There’s no team in our division that could deal with that amount of rotten luck. It’s a frustrating patch but we’ll be right up there again by the start of next year, mark my words
jimhart33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by jimhart33 »

Midlandgull - Spot on post at 11.31
3 disappointing displays but it will get better in 3 weeks or so.
Onwards and upwards.
Steve_TUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Steve_TUFC »

Gullsflyinghigh - spot on absolute clown!!

The wider squad has done an absolute outstanding job over this very tough injury period which is credit to them for stepping up and to the skill of the management and coaching team. Go back 5 to 6 weeks we all would be extremely pleased with the points won by the wider squad players.

Praise needed NOT criticism!
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Having spent over £ 500 over the weekend, i, along with 2 of my grandchildren taking the train up to Lancashire to watch that rubbish of yesterday and spending the weekend in Blackpool, returning back to Dawlish at 5-30 this evening, I feel that I have every right to criticise Gary Johnson. I also had the misfortune to see the Sutton match but thankfully I didn't travel to Maidstone for the cup match. I'm sure that if anyone spent that sort of money to watch a performance like yesterday, they to would be p***Ed off.