The Shortlist

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I've always had a funny feeling that Hargreaves will get the job and having seen the names in the Herald I'm sure he'll get the job. The only problem with that, and for most of the names on the shortlist, are they goanna have many contacts? What every team needs is a manager to have good contacts and in my opinion I don't know if the managers we are looking at have a great deal of contacts. But I'm sure it'll all work out when the manager is named next Monday/Tuesday. I personally think Trollope sounded a big greedy what he said through Simon Baker, "Paul told us that, while he is very fond of Torquay and does not rule managing the club at some time in the future, he feels there is a League One job for him out there." That to me sounds like he loves Torquay but loves money more, if he is very fond of the club he would apply for the job to try and get the club into League One. I think the fans need to see what happens on the pitch before judging the new boss and if he doesn't have a good start it'll be difficult.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:I've always had a funny feeling that Hargreaves will get the job and having seen the names in the Herald I'm sure he'll get the job. The only problem with that, and for most of the names on the shortlist, are they goanna have many contacts? What every team needs is a manager to have good contacts and in my opinion I don't know if the managers we are looking at have a great deal of contacts. But I'm sure it'll all work out when the manager is named next Monday/Tuesday. I personally think Trollope sounded a big greedy what he said through Simon Baker, "Paul told us that, while he is very fond of Torquay and does not rule managing the club at some time in the future, he feels there is a League One job for him out there." That to me sounds like he loves Torquay but loves money more, if he is very fond of the club he would apply for the job to try and get the club into League One. I think the fans need to see what happens on the pitch before judging the new boss and if he doesn't have a good start it'll be difficult.
How are you so sure Hargreaves will get the job? If anything after the 'shortlist' publishing, I'm less inclined to believe he has any sort of chance, he cant compete with Hughes or Forster's CV, or the 2 others for that matter. His only advantage is he would most probably be the cheapest option and has the biggest affection with the fans.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

YellowMurphy wrote: How are you so sure Hargreaves will get the job? If anything after the 'shortlist' publishing, I'm less inclined to believe he has any sort of chance, he cant compete with Hughes or Forster's CV, or the 2 others for that matter. His only advantage is he would most probably be the cheapest option and has the biggest affection with the fans.
As I said I've always had a funny feeling that he would get the job since his name was mentioned, I don't know why I think he'll get it; it's just a funny feeling. But as you mentioned "he has the biggest affection with the fans", I agree that is his big advantage.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

Hargreaves is the cheap option which is probably why he'l get it, this may not be a bad thing?
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
MarineGull707
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MarineGull707 »

I think Hargreaves is nailed on certain to get the job, just have a funny feeling that the board will go for the cheap option like we always seem to. Would love it to be Hughes just think it would be like a breath of fresh air!
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

Boom Boom wrote: Watched Ron Atkinson's manager programme mathingy on Sky Sports ages ago, he was Peterborough boss & on the whole just came across as an arrogant pillock. Saying that, I was willing to give him a second chance but again he came across the same way when interviewed after the Notts County v Torquay game at Meadow Park. Although we drew 2-2 against the top side, we dominated the last 20 & I was expecting some credit from the manager. But again came across as a tosser.

Not every manager sleeps with men's wives...Steve Evans tried to sleep with my wife but he couldn't fit in the bed.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Robiberto22 wrote:Hargreaves is the cheap option which is probably why he'l get it, this may not be a bad thing?
As much as I love Chris Hargreaves, and think he's a bloody legend. I can't see them giving the job to someone with no managerial experience, even if he'd be a cheap option. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be displeased if they did pick him, but I can't see it happening. Also, does he have the ruthlessness to ignore the friendships that he has with some of the players that he'll be expected to manage? Buckle sent Hargreaves off to Oxford, despite the fact that he was a fan favourite, and it proved to be a good decision. Would Hargreaves be able to make that kind of tough call?
TUST member 203
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Robiberto22 »

divingbboy wrote: As much as I love Chris Hargreaves, and think he's a bloody legend. I can't see them giving the job to someone with no managerial experience, even if he'd be a cheap option. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be displeased if they did pick him, but I can't see it happening. Also, does he have the ruthlessness to ignore the friendships that he has with some of the players that he'll be expected to manage? Buckle sent Hargreaves off to Oxford, despite the fact that he was a fan favourite, and it proved to be a good decision. Would Hargreaves be able to make that kind of tough call?
its a tricky one isnt it? i would like to think we could lure hughes or rioch, but there has to be a middleground where we can get someone who has some experience but wouldnt ruin us cash wise?

forster? not for me
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by TUFC92 »

divingbboy wrote: As much as I love Chris Hargreaves, and think he's a bloody legend. I can't see them giving the job to someone with no managerial experience, even if he'd be a cheap option. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be displeased if they did pick him, but I can't see it happening. Also, does he have the ruthlessness to ignore the friendships that he has with some of the players that he'll be expected to manage? Buckle sent Hargreaves off to Oxford, despite the fact that he was a fan favourite, and it proved to be a good decision. Would Hargreaves be able to make that kind of tough call?
Would be strange to pick 6 people out of 50 applications, without believing that any of them could do the job surely?
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Robiberto22 »

TUFC92 wrote: Would be strange to pick 6 people out of 50 applications, without believing that any of them could do the job surely?
cud it be someone we havent thoght of??? cough avram grant cough
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i cant work out why everyone keeps coming up with this lack of contacts thing?? utter nonsense surely?? if someone works fulltime in british football and has done, at their age, for say 25 years, surely they're gonna have met hundreds and hundreds of people?? in this day and age all the managers will have dossiers on potential signings and leagues of scouts covering all divisions north and south of the border. basically i dont think the scots lack of knowledge of lower league football holds water at all. its all they do all day every day, of course they'll know all about english lower leagues

i, for one, really want hughes to be the next TUFC maanger
still keeping the faith
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Robiberto22 »

bixieupnorth wrote:
i, for one, really want hughes to be the next TUFC maanger
if we can afford him he would certanly do a great job, but how long before he'd jump for a bigger club?
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Forster was my preferred choice prior to the shortlist being released and this remains the case now. I can understand people being excited about the prospect of John Hughes but I wouldn't feel comfortable about appointing someone whose only involvement in the English game was a season spent playing at Swansea in 1989. The fact is we're not really a typical league 2 club given where we are situated geographically and it may not be until someone from the north of the border is in the hot seat that they realise how difficult it is to attract players here. On another thread someone who knows a Falkirk supporter/shareholder says he wasn't that well thought of there and things also seemed to go a bit pear shaped at Hibs - I hope the board don't get carried away with the fact that he's managed at SPL level. Surely if he was that decent he wouldn't be looking to join us anyway! (perhaps desperation on his part given that it mentions on the other thread he may struggle to get another job in Scotland??)

As for the other candidates, I would be very surprised if any of Holdsworth, Bullen or Mcparland actually end up being appointed. While I have a huge amount of respect for both Alex Russell and Chris Hargreaves you would think a lack of any proper coaching experience would have to count against them. I believe CH turned down the Tiverton job a little while back, I suppose if he'd taken it and pulled up trees with them he would be a serious contender. As it is I would fear for us big time if he got the job considering the budget restrictions next year. Although it's been mentioned if the board really are going down the cheap route I would imagine he is still an option.

One of the main reasons I'm backing Nicky Forster is I think that if another job came up around our level in my opinion he would be considered ahead of the other candidates linked with the position at Plainmoor. It strikes me that if he came here and did well he may not be around for long but I suppose that would be mutually beneficial as it would mean we'd had success under him. He was considered very unlucky not to land the Brentford job full time, none of the other names linked with us are thought of in the same light within the football league as Forster. There are definitely merits to most of the candidates on the shortlist but for me NF comes up trumps.
The original taunton_gull!!!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Boom Boom wrote: Watched Ron Atkinson's manager programme mathingy on Sky Sports ages ago, he was Peterborough boss & on the whole just came across as an arrogant pillock. Saying that, I was willing to give him a second chance but again he came across the same way when interviewed after the Notts County v Torquay game at Meadow Park. Although we drew 2-2 against the top side, we dominated the last 20 & I was expecting some credit from the manager. But again came across as a tosser.

Not every manager sleeps with men's wives...Steve Evans tried to sleep with my wife but he couldn't fit in the bed.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

It worries me when I read people saying that would love Hargreaves to get the job. It worries me because there might be directors who think the same. I do not know the board as individuals but we have had some dopey directors in the past...think back to Lew Pope, Mervyn Benney, who left to their own devices would probably have made poor appointments.

Imagine your local neanderthal type of person who would be all impressed with a 'bit of passion' 'drive' 'commitment' etc, a team of Jason Rees and Charlie Oatway type players. Your 'thicko' manager tends to build a team in his own image...there may be directors who are impressed with that.

there may be some who think that being a popular captain and popular with the fans will translate into being a good manager and that he will bring back the missing fans...

I just do not get the appearance of Hargreaves and Russell on the shortlist. It is lazy. If it was any other club, I do not think they would be on the shortlist. It is as if the populist wave that people wanted Hargreaves (yet not many have been able to explain why he is suitable to become manager when our club is in a very precarious position) has persuaded the board that it would be a suitable appointment. they are fans...maybe they have been persuaded in the same way. But simply how good he was as a player does not mean he will be a good manager.

And you could not really have say John Hughes with Hargreaves as coach. How are too men really supposed to work together when they went for the same job?

John Hughes is by far the stand out candidate. Hopefully, he would come with his own man, whether that is Rice or Bullen. An established management team already in tandem, in the way Bristol Rovers have now.

My only reservation with Hughes is whether he could get players in. However, Falkirk are probably a similar sized club to us and he seems to have done well with them.

If not him, then for me it would be Forster.

I'm not sure about McParland. But if we supposedly had 50 'serious' applications, then I am disappointed with the quality of the final shortlist.

You never know, it may be that Lee Bullen ends up being the stand-out candidate but it somehow does not seem right that the reserve team manager of Falkirk should want to be our manager. It should be their first-team manager!!!!!!

My ranking is:

Hughes
Forster
McParland
Russell
Bullen
Hargreaves
Holdsworth