Martin Ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

His time at Cambridge was clearly troubled, chairman difficulties, financial difficulties. He resigned 9 days after first being appointed so it was doomed from the outset I'd say.
honkytonkconk
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by honkytonkconk »

With fans like ours I'm surprised anyone wanted the job. What a bunch of moaners. Get behind the board and the manager. They will only do what they think is best for the club. Good luck Martin you'll need it to keep this lot happy
MarineGull707
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MarineGull707 »

Maybe Hargreaves as his number 2? Knows the club and players inside out?
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Terrible news. Clearly the fans' views and wishes count for less than zero. I don't look forward to next season in any way. A real kick in the teeth to those of us who have followed the Gulls through some thick and a lot of thin over the years. Why did I travel all over the country last season to support a club whose Board is prepared to let the fans down so badly? Unbelievable. I guess this was the candidate prepared to work for the lowest salary.
Popside_Josh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Popside_Josh »

wasnt expecting that :L oh well have to get behind him, torquay might be the club that suites him, we'll just have to wait and see, hopefully he brings in some good players and we have another good season.

Martin Lings Yellow Army !! COYY
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Wasn't my firsc choice, but ah well, it's Torquay United? True the stats are poor, but he did well at Orient, plays nice football and Cambridge were a lost cause..

Martin Ling's yellow army.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

OK its a pretty dire appointment on the face of it and i've vented my spleen now so lets just let him crack on, get used to the club and the players and see who he brings in and who else ( if any ) leave. Then we can take stock and see what sort of squad we have before the new season. It just shows how bizarre football is when nobody on any thread had even mentioned his name and yet here he is!!! Madness!!
Last edited by andygull on 13 Jun 2011, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

L ove the wording "left cambridge" more like "sacked because he was useless" at Cambridge. Once again we are proved what a joke of a club we are, no wonder Branston ran a mile. Now fully expect Zebroski to to aswell.

Forster, Hughes, Baraclough managers like that were there waiting to be appointed. Spine of the team gone & now my confidence has too.

What's the point of a final pissing shortlist aswell.....just a bloody shambles.

Martin Ling's Yellow Army.....yay, whoopee fecking doo.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Ling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reading his spell at Cambridge is terrifying. Why oh why have they done this? Ridiculous appointment. I feel so utterly dismayed by this. He was shockingly poor at Cambridge. Embarrassingly poor. This is abysmal!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

He got Orient promoted, he got Orient promoted................if I keep telling myself that it will all be o.k.

A bit underwhelmed by this appointment. Completely blind-sided everyone it seems. Smacks of a bit of a cheap appointment.

In fairness, he did have a few good years at Orient. His Cambridge spell is a little hard to gauge - from what I recall Gary Breadbin had literally run them into the ground, and the club were beset by in-fighting and financial problems (I am well aware that the last bit doesn't bode well for us).

As with anyone, I'm prepared to get behind him and give him a chance. He's got experience, he's got past success and he's got contacts - he's got what we asked for. It seems he likes to get his sides playing football, and doesn't stand for much back-talk. Now we know who the manager is, we know Branno has gone so lets just hope Ling has got what it takes.
TUFCfan
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by TUFCfan »

Another shortarse who used to play in midfield for Exeter. Not exactly the fresh start I'm sure we were all hoping for with the new manager.

Isn't this the same Martin Ling who tried to get our game against Orient abandoned when the floodlights failed?
Cambridge_Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by Cambridge_Gull »

Don't know much about Ling, but he did manage to get Orient promoted to League 1, which sounds promising.

Rovers are really excited to have Buckle and he's only managed promotion from the Blue Square.

(Trying to put a positive spin on things)
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Buckle must be pissing himself.

Branston, Stanley, Robinson & Bevan will be like "phew"
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Any talk on who his number 2 will be?
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Cambridge_Gull wrote:Don't know much about Ling, but he did manage to get Orient promoted to League 1, which sounds promising.

Rovers are really excited to have Buckle and he's only managed promotion from the Blue Square.

(Trying to put a positive spin on things)
Buckle hasn't failed at a club (yet) especially so spectacularly as at Cambridge.

If he hits the ground running, makes a few good signings and we start positively then the fans will turn. If not? Well, then we're and he's in trouble.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14