Bodin

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

What is it with Ling and Welsh U-21 players? I thought he had spent time scouting in SCOTLAND!!!! :-D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Hmmm, have read the article from the Welsh paper and one thing worries me slightly: is he another Taiwo Atieno? Why is he apparently so good, yet of all the dozens of clubs mentioned in the article, did not a single one of them not offer him anything, not even a year?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

ferrarilover wrote:Hmmm, have read the article from the Welsh paper and one thing worries me slightly: is he another Taiwo Atieno? Why is he apparently so good, yet of all the dozens of clubs mentioned in the article, did not a single one of them not offer him anything, not even a year?

Matt.
You could of course say that his situation is far more like that of Eunan O'Kane than Taiwo (who is far older anyway). Like EOK, this lad was released by a Premiership club and no doubt like EOK his agents first objective in the summer was to get his client a contract with a "top" club - as we know that didn't happen and the transfer window closed. He could have sat around waiting (as a free agent) for his next opportunity at the sort of level he wants to play at, but instead (just like EOK) he returned "home" to get some games and primarily to keep up his fitness levels. Just like EOK he has been waiting for another opportunity to come along and it turns out it's little ole TUFC - which is for him, much like EOK, is probably at the lower end of his aspirations as far as the level of football he would like to end up at - but although it's a long way from home (for both of them) it's still the Football League and as we know it's a great little club to come to to try and re-establish yourself.... as I'm sure EOK will tell him, if he hasn't already.

Of course, we would be extremely lucky to land this guy and for him to turn out to be as good as Eunan, but he certainly has a decent pedigree (at Everton since the age of 12) and the game is littered with players who have been released by Prem clubs who have had to drop way down the leagues in order to "prove" themselves - only to then get another opportunity, often much higher up the footbal pyramid. The article I linked to (see above) also gives an idea of how hard it can be these days to get fixed with clubs lower down the leagues as in these tough economic times most clubs are quite simply operating on smaller squads and the 5 subs rule has done nothing to help that at all and so it's inevitable that some (decent) players will slip through the net ... waiting for their chance to try again.
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by popside_yidlad »

Cracking article very good read.
I cant help but feel for the guy, lets hope he has as much talent as the article seems to suggest. Tbh couldnt help but think that it would do Lloyd macklin the world of good to read it and maybe even sit down and chat with him. Hopefully speaking to someone that appeared to have it all and then fell so far into the wilderness might make him realise he is only a tiny fish in a MASSIVE pond and that players come and go. He owes it to himself and his parents to sort himself out and start behaving as a pro on the training pitch and in other aspects. If he cant take career seriously why should anyone else. Sorry for rant but he has undoubted ability and his lack of effort grates me
kittiwake
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by kittiwake »

ferrarilover wrote:Hmmm, have read the article from the Welsh paper and one thing worries me slightly: is he another Taiwo Atieno? Why is he apparently so good, yet of all the dozens of clubs mentioned in the article, did not a single one of them not offer him anything, not even a year? Matt.

Things are not often as clear cut as they may seem - at least as far as Tai's footballing history is concerned - so be careful about jumping to conclusions!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

• What I have said about Tai is factually accurate, despite the excuses he may have, it still holds that he is a young lad who has had an infeasibly large number of clubs and spent a very short amount of time with the vast majority. I am seeking to find if this guy is the same. Oodles of talent, but not a single cub willing to take a punt. I take the point of CP who demonstrates that 'these things happen', and I certainly don't doubt that. My question relates more to the 'no smoke without fire' argument in that, with the very odd exception, there is a reason that these hugely talented players have to drop SO far down the levels to get a contract.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

ferrarilover wrote:
  • What I have said about Tai is factually accurate, despite the excuses he may have, it still holds that he is a young lad who has had an infeasibly large number of clubs and spent a very short amount of time with the vast majority. I am seeking to find if this guy is the same. Oodles of talent, but not a single cub willing to take a punt. I take the point of CP who demonstrates that 'these things happen', and I certainly don't doubt that. My question relates more to the 'no smoke without fire' argument in that, with the very odd exception, there is a reason that these hugely talented players have to drop SO far down the levels to get a contract.

Matt.
A diamond in the rough perhaps Matt. Take your point on where he has ended up playing his football but he is worth a look. Remember Eunan droped back to Irish football before we picked him up - and how much is he worth to us now?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tufcfans
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan!

Post by tufcfans »

just seen that swindon have signed winger Luke Rooney,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16580484.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
just wondering if that could mean Bodin is coming back to Plainmoor or if it is just a player for the future that Di Canio wants to improve alongside Bodin?
However, buying in January usually means it is relatively desperate, so it could just be a possibility that Bodin may be free to return due to this. Any thoughts?
Torquay United Online Newspaper (Torquay United Fans Daily) http://www.paper.li/TUFCFANS/1309719474 and other online newspapers here: http://paper.li/~/publisher/674697#
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

tufcfans wrote:just seen that swindon have signed winger Luke Rooney,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16580484.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
just wondering if that could mean Bodin is coming back to Plainmoor or if it is just a player for the future that Di Canio wants to improve alongside Bodin?
However, buying in January usually means it is relatively desperate, so it could just be a possibility that Bodin may be free to return due to this. Any thoughts?
My thoughts are this, fwiw:

He tried to get Constable off Oxford (play-off contenders)
He has got Rooney off Gills (play-off contenders)
He won't let us have Bodin (play-off contenders)

My guess would be that Di Canio will go after a Shrewsbury player next or, if he sets his sights a bit higher, one from either Southend or Cheltenham.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Rjc70 wrote: My thoughts are this, fwiw:

He tried to get Constable off Oxford (play-off contenders)
He has got Rooney off Gills (play-off contenders)
He won't let us have Bodin (play-off contenders)

My guess would be that Di Canio will go after a Shrewsbury player next or, if he sets his sights a bit higher, one from either Southend or Cheltenham.
If you want your team to do well, and have the money to do so. Then why not buy some of the best players in the league, make your side even stronger. If you can weaken your rivals then thats a bonus. I dont think us being where we are will make a difference to sending him back or not.
I doubt we will effect Swindon at all if im honest. Im pretty sure they will either be Automatics or one of the top spots on the play offs.

If we got to play them, then he wont play. Id rather my player get expereince in a better side than seing him struggle and waste his time in a team who are not very good. All we know if Ling will try bring in a couple on loan in Feb if its not Bodin than so be it.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

This might throw a spanner in the works !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16610349.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:@
Paolos meatballs
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Billy Bodin

Post by Paolos meatballs »

Looks like he's staying put chaps:

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/ne ... o/?ref=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for looking after him.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

That's a real shame, but good luck to the lad, he's got a good future ahead of him.

Time for Dinger to work his magic and bring in someone of equal quality. Will it be Nathan Craig? Who knows!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

cambgull wrote:That's a real shame, but good luck to the lad, he's got a good future ahead of him.

Time for Dinger to work his magic and bring in someone of equal quality. Will it be Nathan Craig? Who knows!
Dinger?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

Richinns wrote: Dinger?
c'mon richinns ...get with the slang me old china !!