Alan Knill CONFIRMED as new Torquay manager

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

These things take time. Lots to consider for Alan Knill. Does his family want to move South - indeed, does the kind of contract likely to be offered justify such a huge lifestyle change? Is there the money available to do the job well - sign the players he wants, bring in the backroom staff he needs (Brass presumably being top of that list).

Until the Play-Offs are over, not all retained lists are revealed anyway. And very few clubs will be signing players until they have a complete view of what's available. If it's sorted next week, and our retained list is revealed then too, we're ahead of where we normally are I reckon.

Only if he turns it down, and we then have to advertise it, will we be dragging behind the rest. And on this occasion, that will not be anybody's fault, just circumstance.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Should we not be looking at all options even with a offer for Knill? Torquay never spend money on players and the freebies are out there now.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Fonda wrote:

Only if he turns it down, and we then have to advertise it, will we be dragging behind the rest. And on this occasion, that will not be anybody's fault, just circumstance.
I would imagine that anyone who would be interested has already contacted the club, can't see any need to advertise the post.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Signing players is the job of the manager. No point signing players the manager might not want. We're not Chelsea.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Fonda has it exactly right - although it would be nice to have everything sorted now regarding the retained list, and potentially sounding out targets for next season, we aren't behind the game yet. Providing we get things sorted within the next 7 days, we'll be on a par with everyone else. I'd imagine that if Knill accepts the job, the retained list will come out almost immediately as its impossible to consider he wasn't thinking about this scenario as last season came to an end. Bear in mind last season at this stage we hadn't even played the first leg of the play off yet.

Personally, I've always thought the conveniently timed Knill family holiday isn't a coincidence. My opinion is he already knew this situation would come about, and this week was always planned for him to get the family down and see if they can see a future in the area, looking for property and such like.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Gullscorer wrote:http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/Posit ... story.html
Good signs of progress on Knill's appointment, the retained list, and Plainmoor's pitch. But no news of Brass..??
Isn't it often the case that the manager generally can have a say in who his assistant is? I would have thought that once we have a manager in place, he will be looking to assemble his own backroom team, and if that's Knill, then presumably he would favour Brass. Not necessarily though, taking into account willingness to move/be based down here, cost of wages, etc etc etc.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Spoke to dean Edwards today and he said knill was appointed on Friday but they are now just sorting out retained list etc before official announcement
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

Great!
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Yellow4life wrote:Spoke to dean Edwards today and he said knoll was appointment on Friday but now just sorting out retained list etc before official announcement
Grassy?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Grassy, non. Knoll was appointment.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The only surprise to me all the way along would have been if Alan Knill wasn't confirmed as Torquay manager.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

wivelgull wrote:Grassy, non. Knoll was appointment.
Everything you say is crap, but this takes the biscuit =D

I'm guessing auto correct gone mad.

Matt.

Agree entirely with you, Dave, if it's not Grassy, we're in deep doodoo.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Was on mobile! It doesn't understand Knill but knows nil or Knoll!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Haha, £500 of the most advanced micro-computer technology can't cope with Knill. My 4p HB pencil can write every word, in every language, first time, every time. Progress?

Matt.