5 favourite/best players since watching TUFC

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

chunkygull wrote: i felt brian healy and mick o'brien never got as much credit as they deserved really.
Agreed, I'll always remember O'Brien's late free kick away at QPR in the cup a few years ago.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
PlainmoorBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorBob »

A few undersung, but personal favs would include Adrian Foster who always gave his all, Scotty Partridge - not a great player but always made things happen, Mark Gardiner (remember his 45 yarder v Bolton I think), Paul Smith who injury robbed of a place in the promotion winning side of 91 (remember his hattrick in the last 10 mins v Scarborough in 89?, winning the game 3-2 from 2-0 down at 80 mins) Micky Holmes and , be honest, Fashanu was a handful on the pitch in his short time here!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

I'd forgotten Paul Smith! :Oops:

One hell of a player who had his career cruelly cut short by injury. :(
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

clint boulton. :bow:
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

PlainmoorBob wrote:A few undersung, but personal favs would include Adrian Foster who always gave his all, Scotty Partridge - not a great player but always made things happen, Mark Gardiner (remember his 45 yarder v Bolton I think), Paul Smith who injury robbed of a place in the promotion winning side of 91 (remember his hattrick in the last 10 mins v Scarborough in 89?, winning the game 3-2 from 2-0 down at 80 mins) Micky Holmes and , be honest, Fashanu was a handful on the pitch in his short time here!

blimey, great minds think alike.

there are a few players there that i had been thinking of. these best/worst threads have certainly evoked a few memories.

paul smith was great and well fast. i remember him destroying a few teams, he gave the west ham defence nightmares in the cup and set up the winner. he scored one of the best goals i have ever seen in person, against southend, he ran from inside his own half with the ball, beat a multitude of players and slotted home.(better than maradonna's 2nd against england). he came back from a broken leg and was awesome in the early part of the 90/91 season. he was part of a record number of games unbeaten, record of games in a winning run, record amount of goals scored in that amount of games.

much was made of every time we played doncaster and his battles with rufus brevett.i reckon we would have had auto promotion and not playoffs in 91 if he hadnt done his hamstring. i was stood right near it when he went sprinting down the wing and just collapsed in a heap.

there were a few who didnt rate partridge at first but after rodney jack and a couple of others left partridge got a run in the side and improved greatly. worked hard, a few skills and scored a few goals. he and neville southall were my wifes favourite players.

mark gardiner was a really good player, probably would have played more but for us having mark loram and then lee sharpe.

i loved mickey holmes, he was my favourite player in 90/91-92. i remember we had him on loan and i was well chuffed when we signed him up. i dont know why i liked him so much he wasnt a fancy dan or a grafter/workhorse type. he had some skills and brought some calmness to the team with experience and a good pass. he always looked a bit tubby(probably why i liked him), i remember in the warm ups he used to try all sorts of tricks and tricky shots which me and my mates would try and copy later. we all had a wry chuckle when he came back for wes saunders testimonial and he looked like he had put on about 6 stone.

fozzie worked his cojones off and was quite a good striker in a time when we were very average.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

5favourite/best players since watching tufc
The great Larry Baxter,not only would he beat the fullback he would stop and go back and give him another go,if only he could play today.plus George Northcott could stop anything from a center Forward to a dustcart