PSF Thread - Hereford v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

There's never any excuse for missing a penalty kick (well, maybe one in a hundred).. I never, never ever, missed a penalty (well, perhaps one in a hundred).. There's a simple technique, which can be mastered with the minimum of practice, which is guaranteed to beat most goalkeepers 99 times out of 100, and which can be understood with a little thought by any footballer with even average intelligence. Ah, therein lies the rub. Many players are so caught up in the excitement of the moment, they forget the job in hand, thinking the goal is as good as scored. Or sometimes they get cocky and try to be too clever. And so, either way, they miss... :-/
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

What particular attributes does he possess that make him a striker Dutch?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

As for the suggestion there is a fool-proof method of scoring penalties? Forgive me for suggesting that's nonsense. I'm inclined to believe the evidence of the best players in the world missing penalties, rather than the 'theory' of someone random posting on a Torquay United forum. It doesn't matter how good your technique is, you can't replicate the pressure of the situation.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Fonda wrote:As for the suggestion there is a fool-proof method of scoring penalties? Forgive me for suggesting that's nonsense. I'm inclined to believe the evidence of the best players in the world missing penalties, rather than the 'theory' of someone random posting on a Torquay United forum. It doesn't matter how good your technique is, you can't replicate the pressure of the situation.

Have to agree with Shane here. I used to have a method for saving pens and had a fairly decent success rate, missing them is easier than a lot of people seem to think.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Southampton Gull wrote:
Have to agree with Shane here. I used to have a method for saving pens and had a fairly decent success rate, missing them is easier than a lot of people seem to think.
:-o There's something you don't see every day! :~D
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed Shane and Dave. You only have to cast your mind back to the end of last season in the Brentford v Doncaster match, Brentford had a penalty score it and there were up automaticly missed it and Donny went down the other end scored and nicked the promotion spot off them.

The same thing happened in the Leicester play-off semi final, when a Leicester had a penalty score it and they were off to Wembley and missed it, only for watford to go down the other end and score an out right winner, when the pressure is on the ball can look very big the goal very small.

Also as Dave knows I have been lucky enough to see some very good goalkeeper coaching over the last few years, and seen a number of keeper training sessions devoted to goalkeeper penalty saving methods, keepers at all levels are taught ways of increasing their chances of saving spot kicks, of course it doesn't allways work however it's no coincidence that some keepers from semi-pros right up to the top of the game have good penalty saving records.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

I remember being told in training (some time ago admittedly), it's all a matter of geometry for both taking and saving them :)
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

If strikers can miss an open goal from six yards out (a lot have) then missing a penalty is far easier.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

[quote="Fonda"]As for the suggestion there is a fool-proof method of scoring penalties? Forgive me for suggesting that's nonsense. I'm inclined to believe the evidence of the best players in the world missing penalties, rather than the 'theory' of someone random posting on a Torquay United forum. It doesn't matter how good your technique is, you can't replicate the pressure of the situation.[/quote]
Which is exactly the point I was making..!! :}
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

You can roll you eyes all you like, that isn't what you intimated in your rather brash statement that there is 'never any excuse for missing a penalty'.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Fonda wrote:You can roll you eyes all you like, that isn't what you intimated in your rather brash statement that there is 'never any excuse for missing a penalty'.
Well there isn't (well, maybe one in a hundred)..!! Anyway, I'm sending you off for repeated dissent and insubordination, and for not understanding wot I wrote! :red: :~D
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

I'll take that as an admission that your initial statement was in fact, nonsensical. I'm almost certain there isn't a player in the world, including the very best ones, who don't have missed penalties in their history. Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Best, Messi, Ronaldo, even Le Tissier. You name them, they've all missed them.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

If he was number 15 still he would have scored it.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Fonda wrote:I'll take that as an admission that your initial statement was in fact, nonsensical. I'm almost certain there isn't a player in the world, including the very best ones, who don't have missed penalties in their history. Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Best, Messi, Ronaldo, even Le Tissier. You name them, they've all missed them.
Rickie Lambert

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Balotelli is on 24/24 as well I think, for Inter, Man City, Milan and Italy.

Le Tissier 48/49 is still a better record for me though. His miss came 7 years into a 16 year career, so good thing Southampton didn't use the miss and you're off them rule.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats