Rene Howe

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Fonda wrote:Not sure how anyone can doubt Howe's ability at this level. He's a talented player, scored a few goals and led the line well. Contrary to popular belief, he wasn't lazy, he just had a languid style. And it's hardly surprising his performances fell away last season - like anyone else would, I expect he got tired of playing on his own.
:goodpost:
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Or he didn't give a sh1t about TUFC
No doubting his ability but time to move on.
LocalGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chappell

Post by LocalGull »

nickfrench82 wrote: Playing up front on your own doesn't excuse you not scoring, or lacking discipline, or not being fit, or thinking you're better than you are. He is exactly what you say he isn't, an average league 2 striker. Nothing in his performances or statistics suggests anything different. If he were a good striker, he would be attracting interest from the next division up, or he would be consistent, or he would be scoring goals regularly. He is doing none of these things.
Type of ignorant quote I've come to expect on here. No questions he had a poor attitude and could of been fitter. Of course playing up top by yourself limits your goal scoring opportunities?! His performances do suggest he was more than an average league 2 player, if you actually watched him play. Ling got the best out of him which nobody else has done. Really good ability and could be class, but yes, his attitude let's him down. He did have lots of clubs from higher divisions eyeing him up when he was with us, which it was why it was such a shock he went to burton. He hasn't been playing so it's pretty hard to score when that happens. Sounds like he's not been playing because of a fall out with the boss at burton, big bra cause he's a bad, or even abate age player. Rene is one of the best we've had for a while up top. I do despair.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

LocalGull wrote:Type of ignorant quote I've come to expect on here. No questions he had a poor attitude and could of been fitter. Of course playing up top by yourself limits your goal scoring opportunities?! His performances do suggest he was more than an average league 2 player, if you actually watched him play. Ling got the best out of him which nobody else has done. Really good ability and could be class, but yes, his attitude let's him down. He did have lots of clubs from higher divisions eyeing him up when he was with us, which it was why it was such a shock he went to burton. He hasn't been playing so it's pretty hard to score when that happens. Sounds like he's not been playing because of a fall out with the boss at burton, big bra cause he's a bad, or even abate age player. Rene is one of the best we've had for a while up top. I do despair.
No question that he had a poor attitude and could have been fitter. But certainly an above average player for this division.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I'm inclined to comment negatively about Rene but it could have been so different. The first few times I watched him I saw he had ability but his workrate was appalling and in addition, the manner in which Ling played the game didn't play to his strengths at all. As his career with us wore on he actually did knuckle down and despite continued petulance costing us his services on a few occasions he did actually get about the pitch and put some real work in when he DID play which I appreciated.

His goals last season contributed to keeping us up and often he manufactured one out of absolutely nothing and although he did score a lot of pens, he still had to put them away.

My opinion of him changed when I learned he had a contract offer on the table since Christmas before he left and obviously he refused to sign it but the last few weeks of him being a Torquay player saw him put in some atrociously lazy performances, all hands were on deck apart from Rene who knew he was leaving. At Morecambe last away game where we all but secured our league status with a 2-0 win he was absolutely pitiful. Swaggering around and not doing anything apart from getting another petulant booking 10 minutes from time which conveniently meant he missed the last match of the season at home to Rovers. Unforgivable his attitude towards the end.

He also scored just twice (one a pen) since his penalty winner at Sid James at the end of January. Eat your heart out Karl Hawley. :~D

He then protracted his departure which he was perfectly entitled to do but it just seemed again, petulant. Then when we all thought he would move on to bigger and better things he joined Burton. IMO it had to be for the money because he certainly wasn't using his time at Torquay as a stepping stone back to the big time. Obviously he is perfectly entitled also to choose a club who will pay him the most but if that were me I would just be honest about it and not try and make excuses. I would have thought a bit more of him for being honest. Also the fact that he joined Burton means really IMO that his football career is just a means to an end and that is incredibly sad when he had the ability to play higher up the football pyramid. Severe attitude problem the last few months of the season really led Rene to go well down in my estimation. Better that league 2 but not prepared to back that up with the application and desire needed to get there.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
LocalGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chappell

Post by LocalGull »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:I'm inclined to comment negatively about Rene but it could have been so different. The first few times I watched him I saw he had ability but his workrate was appalling and in addition, the manner in which Ling played the game didn't play to his strengths at all. As his career with us wore on he actually did knuckle down and despite continued petulance costing us his services on a few occasions he did actually get about the pitch and put some real work in when he DID play which I appreciated.

His goals last season contributed to keeping us up and often he manufactured one out of absolutely nothing and although he did score a lot of pens, he still had to put them away.

My opinion of him changed when I learned he had a contract offer on the table since Christmas before he left and obviously he refused to sign it but the last few weeks of him being a Torquay player saw him put in some atrociously lazy performances, all hands were on deck apart from Rene who knew he was leaving. At Morecambe last away game where we all but secured our league status with a 2-0 win he was absolutely pitiful. Swaggering around and not doing anything apart from getting another petulant booking 10 minutes from time which conveniently meant he missed the last match of the season at home to Rovers. Unforgivable his attitude towards the end.

He also scored just twice (one a pen) since his penalty winner at Sid James at the end of January. Eat your heart out Karl Hawley. :~D

He then protracted his departure which he was perfectly entitled to do but it just seemed again, petulant. Then when we all thought he would move on to bigger and better things he joined Burton. IMO it had to be for the money because he certainly wasn't using his time at Torquay as a stepping stone back to the big time. Obviously he is perfectly entitled also to choose a club who will pay him the most but if that were me I would just be honest about it and not try and make excuses. I would have thought a bit more of him for being honest. Also the fact that he joined Burton means really IMO that his football career is just a means to an end and that is incredibly sad when he had the ability to play higher up the football pyramid. Severe attitude problem the last few months of the season really led Rene to go well down in my estimation. Better that league 2 but not prepared to back that up with the application and desire needed to get there.
Good post!
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

LocalGull wrote: Type of ignorant quote I've come to expect on here. No questions he had a poor attitude and could of been fitter. Of course playing up top by yourself limits your goal scoring opportunities?! His performances do suggest he was more than an average league 2 player, if you actually watched him play. Ling got the best out of him which nobody else has done. Really good ability and could be class, but yes, his attitude let's him down. He did have lots of clubs from higher divisions eyeing him up when he was with us, which it was why it was such a shock he went to burton. He hasn't been playing so it's pretty hard to score when that happens. Sounds like he's not been playing because of a fall out with the boss at burton, big bra cause he's a bad, or even abate age player. Rene is one of the best we've had for a while up top. I do despair.
What part was ignorant? I find that a very dismissive attitude to take, considering the stats that back my opinion up. He had talent and potential, but hasn't done anything about it, so therefore he lacks the motivation to be a good player and having been dumped by Burton for his disciplinary and fitness issues has recently signed for Newport Co.

As Anthea pointed out, he's scored less than Karl Hawley since this time last year. John Marquis scored more in December than Howe has done in 12 months. Aaron Downes has scored twice as many, and TUFC had the 92nd best record of the 92 clubs in the top 4 divisions.

Please don't call me ignorant, maybe you disagree with my opinion, that is fine, stats and facts can be manipulated to prove a point, feel free to find some to add to your opinion.

Please explain to me what exactly makes him a better player than I have described?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

God please tell me that you know my name is Andy, Nick! :-/ :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:God please tell me that you know my name is Andy, Nick! :-/ :lol:
Haha, I thought you had the operation last week? I was just trying not to offend you!!! :lol: :na: :lol:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Yeah I did, that's why I've been off the site for a while. That and perusing New Look for a new wardrobe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:Yeah I did, that's why I've been off the site for a while. That and perusing New Look for a new wardrobe.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468