Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
OxfordSteve
New Signing
New Signing

Post by OxfordSteve »

Our very own Garry Monk seems to have done the player to player manager to full time manager pretty well.

It's a rare event when it works though.
...used to be WitneyGull....
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

OxfordSteve wrote:Our very own Garry Monk seems to have done the player to player manager to full time manager pretty well.

It's a rare event when it works though.
Whilst technically true, because when he was first appointed he was given the title of "interim player-manager" - he still had some time left on his playing contract at the time but hadn't actually featured for several months prior - I'm pretty sure he has never picked himself as a player whilst he has been Manager.

I think the player/coach role can work quite well at our sort of level, but not convinced that player/manager has ever really worked that well - certainly not in more recent times - although I seem to recall John Toshack doing quite a decent job at Swansea as it happens!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Dave Webb turned out for us a couple of times! :whistle:

And Richard Hancox was player/stadium manager briefly ;-)
OxfordSteve
New Signing
New Signing

Post by OxfordSteve »

I wonder what Lubos Kubik is up to.....
...used to be WitneyGull....
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Wasn't Edgar Davids a player manager for a brief period?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

According to Paul Cox, both he and Ramshaw were not being paid. Yet Dean Edwards was being paid for his (unnecessary) role as Director of Football. A strange way of keeping the club's finances in order. So how are we going to pay a new manager and his assistant? The money freed up by the departures of Dean Edwards may not be enough. It would help if the Hargreaves situation was to be resolved, but further cuts may be needed, starting with the playing staff, then perhaps the stewards..

And get rid of the floodlights; play in the afternoons instead of evenings. It will make hardly any difference to the crowds we get.. :)
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

I am a little concerned about Steve Breed's proficiency to recognise and select a manager of the required standard.

Whilst he is undoubtedly completely committed to TUFC and will do what he absolutely believes to be in the best interests of the clubs future, does he have the footballing experience to pick a manager? I know nothing about his background, other than he is a commentator on matches and expresses his opinions on the events in a match freely.

No idea if any of the other board members have been involved in similar appointments at any level in the past.

This is arguably the MOST important managerial decision to be reached in recent history and if a mistake is made, no matter how well intentioned, it is highly likely to result in relegation, and with that comes the swinging sword of financial crisis, which could slice the head from the body of TUFC.

Finally - Nicolson or Tully - ABSOLUTELY NOT
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Steve Breed said a lot of things during his pre-match interview last night. I was listening to it whilst driving to the match so I had to concentrate more on driving rather than the interview ! What I thought he said was that he had the help of two managers to sift through the list of candidates. I think he said that there had been 129 applicants and that an appointment would be made within 7 - 10 days. That sounds a bit quick to me. I hope a proper shortlist is drawn up and a proper interview process put in place. The last thing we want is a hasty appointment as per Knill and Hargreaves and then it all goes t*ts up again.

I still can't get my head around how the club can't afford to put Cox and Ramshaw on contracts yet will be afford to pay an incoming manager and, presumably, assistant. Not much has been said on here about John Ramshaw but fair play to him for sticking with the club when it would be easier to pack his bags. Thanks JR.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Footballing experience to pick a manager? Hmm.

Like 99.9%of people in charge of football clubs, Steve wasn't a playerplayer, managermanager, coach, kit man, boot shiner or anything else. Like them, he's a just a major footy fan.

Luckily, there is no real need to be a "football" person to pick the right manager, just a reasonably sensible businessman who understands the needs of their business. I thibk we have that (in my opinion).
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I would imagine, given the lack of funds available to us, we can't afford to pay compensation to a club in order for their manager to come to us, so that leaves us with managers that are out of work currently.

If a manager is out of work at this stage of the season they either don't need the money or the hassle and have elected to wait until something tickles their fancy; or they are not very good and that is the reason why they are still unemployed.

Are we really expecting somebody half decent out there to come in and become our saviour?

I just want somebody who can work with the team we have and instill some belief in them that they can win, and get them encouraged - things that some of our senior pros should be doing already, but may not be doing so.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Perhaps, by some legal technicality, Cox was unable to be given a contract whilst CH was still our manager. Now that CH is going / gone a proper managerial appointment can now be made without recourse?
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

kevgull wrote:Perhaps, by some legal technicality, Cox was unable to be given a contract whilst CH was still our manager. Now that CH is going / gone a proper managerial appointment can now be made without recourse?

Yes - that's an interesting 'take' on the situation. Another tantalising thing that Steve Breed said last night was that we could see Paul Cox back at Plainmoor in the future. what did he mean by that ?? :|
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

tomogull wrote:

Yes - that's an interesting 'take' on the situation. Another tantalising thing that Steve Breed said last night was that we could see Paul Cox back at Plainmoor in the future. what did he mean by that ?? :|
Perhaps with Halifax or A N Other team
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

kevgull wrote:Perhaps, by some legal technicality, Cox was unable to be given a contract whilst CH was still our manager. Now that CH is going / gone a proper managerial appointment can now be made without recourse?
Have I missed the Hargreaves situation being sorted?
TUST number 080
lucusmc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lucusmc »

Lloyder5 wrote: Have I missed the Hargreaves situation being sorted?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34333813