Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Agree Plainmoor78.

Also, it's not like he's come into to the club with a few months to go until the end of the season and just gallantly failed which you could sort of understand. He's had nearly a full season. The evidence is there so why take the risk? Alan Knill kept the club up with a few months of the season left and it was perhaps fair to give him a full summer building a squad despite no real indication in those 2 months that he knew his onions other than managing to keep the club above the trapdoor. That seemed to be the only reason by which to give him the job! The club trusted the wrong man and he took the club to the brink of relegation having signed some real garbage on 2 year deals.

Hargreaves then took over and IMO should NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS been given the opportunity to waste the cash over the summer and begin a new season. I went to a lot of those game under Hargreaves and it was as plain to see for anyone with a pair of eyes, or even one eye, that he was absolutely clueless. The evidence was there, we'd all seen it yet he also gets given the gig and spunks a load of dosh over the summer and then ends up getting sacked because surprise, surprise - he was absolute shite.

Then the same happened with Nicholson.

So the pattern is set and nobody has learned anything because despite Owers showing nothing in nearly a full season the club are making the same mistake again! Only this time it's intentional.

I don't see how you can keep a manager on who not only has got you relegated but also has had 6 months, not 2 to show fans he has a little bit of something about him.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

If you went on work experience somewhere as a salesman for 6 months and ended up costing the company money, customers and it's standing in the marketplace. Would you be given a full time job at the end of it? Would you bugger.

They do at Torquay United though.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Hargreaves should never have been given the job in the place. Whose stupid idea was it, in the middle of a relegation battle to keep our football league status, to appoint a complete novice?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Teigngull wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 22:02 Take Dave & Merse for example, constantly at loggerheads and rarely agree, but post back & forth to each other with the belief they are correct but also in a civil manner.
That's simply because Merson sensibly bows down to Dave's superior football knowledge and because he knows that if he calls him an idiot, moron or baboon, or other insulting terms he spits out at other Forum users, he would be banned AGAIN. How often does he respond to other posts in a 'civil manner'? Very, very rarely.

By the way, I do agree with you 100%. If you and Merson consider Luke Young to be a poor player, then your self assessment of 'half an ounce of football knowledge' is just about spot on. :whistle:
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 15:18Hargreaves should never have been given the job in the place. Whose stupid idea was it, in the middle of a relegation battle to keep our football league status, to appoint a complete novice?
Thea's; she didn't want the poor little dears who went moaning to her about the nasty Mr Knill sussing that they were over the hill and past their sell by date being unhappy. So she brought in the man who used to make her laugh on the telly when he drew attention to himself by pulling silly faces and flexing his six pack in the background whilst serious intervierws were being done on the TV.

Bless her; she thought professional football was all about happy, clappy people who so loved the club they'd never dream of screwing her over and extracting as much as they could from her before pissing off into the sunset.

Knill had despatched one of those to go and train on his own because of his stance of standing up and criticising the manager in front of the other players ~ I don't need to tell you who it was ~ and thus the ship was destabilised; the results went downhill and Captain Silly Bollocks with the tight jeans and winklepickers came in and took us out of the league and onto the road to nowhere........talk about Talking Heads
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

MellowYellow wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 13:51 Someone on one of the forums informed that Dave Caldwell offered Clarke Osborne his services in an advisor capacity last November for free as he could see the 'writing on the wall' and thought if would help Osborne and the club to have some impartial advice. Osborne apparently did not even respond. I think you will find there are plenty of ex-Torquay pro's who would offer their services to help find the right management team and players if Osborne was accepting - but he is not! That should tell you something.
That's not quite correct. Osborne did respond and even arranged to meet Dave in Bristol to talk about an Owers replacement but then changed his mind. See this thread on TFF: http://torquayfansforum.co.uk/thread/12 ... nformation
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

tomogull wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 15:40That's simply because Merson sensibly bows down to Dave's superior football knowledge and because he knows that if he calls him an idiot, moron or baboon, or other insulting terms he spits out at other Forum users, he would be banned AGAIN.
That's your jaundiced opinion and you're both entitled to it and free to express it because unlike you; both Dave and I recognise that a forum is healthy when opposing views are aired and allowed to be aired without banning the individuals who upset the other viewpoint. That only leads to a moribund forum dying a slow death as TFF is doing.

I can say from my point of view that the only people who get removed from BTPIR are those who compromise the legality and standing of the forum with the service provider (in our case ProBoards) by posting material that can either be used in evidence against me as the proprietor and Admin in a court of law or indeed leading to the plug being pulled on us by our provider.

Repectfully; you need to chill out and acquire the spirit of debate..... mate!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

merse btpir wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 18:29 Well judging by the disaster that have been the Nicholson signings; any new manager in his right mind would have insist on that.

What with Gowling forever scratching his in his hair, it has to be suspected there is even more chance of finding nits in there than in the general Manager's office. Clarke pulls a muscle every time he raises his arms above his head to pull on a T shirt off and it's blindingly obvious no medicals were carried out on any of Nicholson's signings.
Someone on another thread very sensibly posted that it was time to draw a line under Kevin Nicholson's tenure as manager. But not you, of course. We all know your opinions on Kevin Nicholson, Josh Gowling, Luke Young, Sean McGinty, Thea Bristow etc because you have told us time and time and time again, re-gurgitating the same old bile. Why don't you just SHUT THE HELL UP ??? :@
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

:rofl: See; there you go again. Can't debate.....mate!
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Gawd...reading the posts on this forum is making me more depressed than the relegation!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Jerry wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 15:49 That's not quite correct. Osborne did respond and even arranged to meet Dave in Bristol to talk about an Owers replacement but then changed his mind. See this thread on TFF: http://torquayfansforum.co.uk/thread/12 ... nformation
Thanks for sourcing the forum thread Jerry. I did reiterate from memory and though not quite correct, its purpose was to get across the message that there are many ex-pro's with immense football knowledge willing to help our club.

I had forgotten that a meeting was arranged but did not go ahead because Owers had convinced Osborne that he was the man to keep us up, which makes the story even more horrific.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

tomogull wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 15:40 That's simply because Merson sensibly bows down to Dave's superior football knowledge and because he knows that if he calls him an idiot, moron or baboon, or other insulting terms he spits out at other Forum users, he would be banned AGAIN. How often does he respond to other posts in a 'civil manner'? Very, very rarely.

By the way, I do agree with you 100%. If you and Merson consider Luke Young to be a poor player, then your self assessment of 'half an ounce of football knowledge' is just about spot on. :whistle:
Actually tomo, Merse and I have had more spats than probably anyone else over the years but we came together in order to get the news out about Osborne and his motives. I vehemently disagree with most things he has opinions on but whilst that's the case I'm equally happy sitting down and talking to him over a beer where we disagree just the same. I'd urge anyone who has a problem with how he posts to just argue your case as strongly as he does or ignore him. You could always seek him out and chat over a pint, he's opinionated but who isn't? He's as passionate if not more than most where TUFC are concerned but his view is just his view, you do ok when taking him to task ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Dave is right Tomo; if he or I were a team manager we would have abrasive, argumentative characters who would punch their granny's lights out never mind kick them.

If you were a manager you would recruit a team of pussies like Nicholson did because you appear to want to live in the comfort zone and not hear anything you don't like.

Avoiding relegation isn't winning things eitherr and recruiting foot soldiers isn't about having money. The most effective foot soldier Nicholson ever signed was Danny Racchi and he was paid peanuts. Danny told me what he was offered by Nicholson to come and play and what he eventually prised out of the club; it was a disgrace ~ especially when you compare it with what Luke Young has been on and Young had to have his hand held by Racchi when the going got tough.....as it does in professional football and it always will.

A 'Danny Racchi' won't get you promotion but you sure won't get relegated with one around.....we still haven't replaced him!

Luke Young would get you promoted if you had enough foot soldiers around him, but we've been relegated with him in the side as senior pro' haven't we!
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I wonder how the current squad view Gary Owers, bearing in mind Southampton Dave's recent revelation about the training ground spat between Josh Gowling and Owers. If Owers is to say on as manager and achieve promotion would the players fight tooth and nail for him? I have my doubts but it would be interesting to know what the players think of him.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

It would, but there is hardly a club where there isn't a training ground spat from time to time.