Quick one for the historians/researchers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

I`m new to The Forum. I found it very interesting to read some of the threads by "The Older Set" no offence meant, I regard myself in that group. Some remarks by Trojan67 made me smile. I too played in the Pioneer League u14`s around 1973. Torre Trojans were regarded as the "Dream Team". I played for a side called Barton Magpies composed of lads from Watcome and Barton. Bradley Beattie was my team mate at that time. We weren`t half bad and had some decent players David (Shanky) Kendall springs to mind. I do recall it went sour before the season ended, even at 14 we had far too many smokers and drinkers in the side and not enough dedicated to playing the game.
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

I'd love Torquay go back to the proper Torquay town badge. Cannot stand the gull motif!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Bxm Foxy wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 14:08 I'd love Torquay go back to the proper Torquay town badge. Cannot stand the gull motif!
Totally agree, go back to the badge that used to be on the old Brita kits in the late 70's & the Umbria kit of the early 80's until David Webb arrived & concocted that bloody awfully badge with the palm trees on the even worse kit modeled on Chelsea worn by an even worse bunch of buffoons than this current lot with the equally awful badge of the current era.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

I'd question if I'm honest the dave Webb team with today's team or squad even. I did start watching them in 1985 so I have a little knowledge though was a young boy then.
Put it this was , Mark loram ( part ) was involved in Webb's teams , John impey was decent , Paul Compton and and the dude Dawkins.

Yes we had some utter crap aswell back then ? No doubt about it ! But for me it's questionable if this shower is any better. I would swap the lot for Mark loram put it that way.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Teigngull wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 19:05 Totally agree, go back to the badge that used to be on the old Brita kits in the late 70's & the Umbria kit of the early 80's until David Webb arrived & concocted that bloody awfully badge with the palm trees on the even worse kit modeled on Chelsea worn by an even worse bunch of buffoons than this current lot with the equally awful badge of the current era.
Bloody predictive text ,I meant the BUKTA & UMBRO kits
& any team that had Mooney & Layrea in their side were worse Than this lot believe me.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Remember Mooney but not that Benny fella .....

How bad was he
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 21:59 Remember Mooney but not that Benny fella .....

How bad was he
Think of Bambi on ice with 4 broken legs & as bad if not worse than Mario Walsh
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Bxm Foxy »

Great mullet on Mario though.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Bxm Foxy wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 10:54 Great mullet on Mario though.
It was the 80's though Mullets were the thing with Hoddle & Waddle leading the way.
Also do you remember another of Webb's wonders , Steve Phillips ? A centre forward who if I recall was approx 5' 5" ?
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Bxm Foxy »

Yeah, he was a decent striker. Just at the beginning of my time supporting Torquay. Have to admit only being a fan these days, not a supporter. As for mullets, we had some crackers at TQ1 3PS!!! Loram's was just superb!!!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Remember Steve Phillips the song anyone....something about bring fat and round ????
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Bxm Foxy »

I'm not entirely sure he was worth a million pound, but not a bad striker!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Didn't he run the youth club type of thing ...it really was at the start when I first started going I can only just about remmeber it
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Bxm Foxy wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 07:32 I'm not entirely sure he was worth a million pound, but not a bad striker!
He's fat he's round he's worth a million pound Steve Phillips. That was the one
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Talking of mullets .
Dave Caldwell had a fantastic mullet. Looked more like a Australian surfer