Buckle seen in Bristol

General chat about anything else goes here.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I thorpe I was right, now I know different. Robbo indeed was only on loan, Woodsy was the other contracted player. I'm unsure as to the circumstances as to why Thorpe moved on, but it was something to do with his reluctance to play non league at that time.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

NickGull wrote: Currently about half way down the page.

I see it now, I must have been distracted by all the idle gossip in the threads above it.

Now that I've seen and read the thread, it doesn't necessarily mean I'll be posting anything on it anytime soon. ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
devington
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by devington »

Buckle is not happy with some members of the board and that has been the case for months and has actively been looking for a move. I believe that an agreement is indeed in place for him to see the club through the playoffs and then he will leave Torquay United for Bristol Rovers. You can't really blame him when it means a huge salary increase and DOUBLE the playing budget that he has been told he has got at Plainmoor next season.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Trojan 67 wrote:
I see it now, I must have been distracted by all the idle gossip in the threads above it.

Now that I've seen and read the thread, it doesn't necessarily mean I'll be posting anything on it anytime soon. ;-)
:red:
miagsygas
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by miagsygas »

Gashead here (actually in peace)

Have to apologise as it would seem that a load of our idiots have desended on you today, quite cringeworthy that many have been giving it 'the big time' as we are now the same level as you and you have a big chance to go above us. Don't worry, we aren't all the same.

As for the Buckle rumor, it started off as a small rumor on the Rovers alternative forum and seems to be escalated from there, but honestly i wouldn't worry too much. I don't see the logic of him wanting to leave yourselves for us at this present time and with our board mentioning that the appointment could happen at the end of this week to the start of next, i can't see your board letting him leave you in the lurch in the midst of a playoffs or him wanting to leave at that time.

For the record, i don't personally know alot about Buckle. From the outside it would seem he has done a good job for you guys, but obviously that's just on the face of it. Personally i want Danny Wilson in charge next season, although my view would possibly be changed if i knew more about Buckle, it would just seem that Wilson would be the most suited candidate for the moment. Buckle just doesn't seem to make sense, the only thing that would make sense is that he apparently only has a contract until November and our board tend to hand out three year deals like hot cakes.

I'll imagine though, a couple of people saw the rumor on the alt forum and decided to run with it to the bookies, being such a small market the Victor Chandler had to adapt quickly and i doubt they know a thing. They ran a market for our vacancy when Trollope was sacked and it was changing every five minutes. Good luck in your playoffs.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Well, lets hope this decision doesn't come back to bite him, as the grass isn't always greener. I understand why he'd want to go - i mean Rovers is a pretty unattractive proposition in it's current state, but with a few extra quid in his pocket and a location closer to London, it fits for him. He'll obviously see it as a stepping stone be bigger and better things, and doubt he'd want to be there for long. He's done well for us, but i'm not sure he's got the skills to make a success of Rovers - he's not a miracle worker, but the one thing he's always had is confidence in his own ability. Really surprised he's so deseperate to get away that he's holding talks at this time though. I think his players and the clubs supporters deserve a little more respect than that, not to mention the board members that stood by him. Cheers for your efforts Bucks, fair to say you've achieved more than i ever thought you would. Thought you might have set your sights higher than League 2 Rovers, but i suppose success at a club like that can only impress big clubs. Maybe see you next season. Or maybe not. I trust your focus will remain on the job at hand for the rest of this month at least. That shouldn't be too much to ask...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

miagsygas wrote:Gashead here (actually in peace)

Have to apologise as it would seem that a load of our idiots have desended on you today, quite cringeworthy that many have been giving it 'the big time' as we are now the same level as you and you have a big chance to go above us. Don't worry, we aren't all the same.

As for the Buckle rumor, it started off as a small rumor on the Rovers alternative forum and seems to be escalated from there, but honestly i wouldn't worry too much. I don't see the logic of him wanting to leave yourselves for us at this present time and with our board mentioning that the appointment could happen at the end of this week to the start of next, i can't see your board letting him leave you in the lurch in the midst of a playoffs or him wanting to leave at that time.

For the record, i don't personally know alot about Buckle. From the outside it would seem he has done a good job for you guys, but obviously that's just on the face of it. Personally i want Danny Wilson in charge next season, although my view would possibly be changed if i knew more about Buckle, it would just seem that Wilson would be the most suited candidate for the moment. Buckle just doesn't seem to make sense, the only thing that would make sense is that he apparently only has a contract until November and our board tend to hand out three year deals like hot cakes.

I'll imagine though, a couple of people saw the rumor on the alt forum and decided to run with it to the bookies, being such a small market the Victor Chandler had to adapt quickly and i doubt they know a thing. They ran a market for our vacancy when Trollope was sacked and it was changing every five minutes. Good luck in your playoffs.
It's nice to hear the thoughts of a sensible Rovers fan - you've restored my faith. My post above was a response to the other clowns representing your club.

My thoughts about the timing remain though.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

devington wrote:Buckle is not happy with some members of the board and that has been the case for months and has actively been looking for a move. I believe that an agreement is indeed in place for him to see the club through the playoffs and then he will leave Torquay United for Bristol Rovers. You can't really blame him when it means a huge salary increase and DOUBLE the playing budget that he has been told he has got at Plainmoor next season.
Would it be anywhere near that though? There was no cash in the kitty (alledgedly) in the January window, so unless a new backer has appeared I suspect there wont be that much now what with the drop to L2...
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I've been convinced for a while this will be Bucks last season here providing there is interest in him. What more can he do here realistically? Achieved everything he set out to do, with massive financial restrictions again next year if we don't go up, would he fancy another season which in all honesty he'll struggle to beat this year's achievements?

Or go to a Bristol Rovers/Swindon who really like Wycombe should definitely be top 7 next year. No guarantess and as Bradford, us and Accrington have shown for differing reasons budget isn't everything but he'd be given the tools at those other clubs to succeed. I get the feeling us and Accrington is a one off, like Morecambe and Dagenham were last year. Bristol Rovers and Swindon should both definitely be around the top sides. Would be a bit of a sideways step in terms of actual football progression but money both for him and to work with will be the clincher as ever.

IF we were to go up, he may stay and have a crack at League 1, only chance of him staying i reckon.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Fonda ..........."Really surprised he's so deseperate to get away that he's holding talks at this time though. I think his players and the clubs supporters deserve a little more respect than that, not to mention the board members that stood by him. "

Its a rumour so how can you say that ???

Where is the real evidence ? It may happen but the way you have posted it make it sound like a done deal ... do you know he has been holding talks ??..........

The glory of the internet............

Smileys for the hell of it !!! :na: :O :scarf: :rules: :@ :Z :)
basil75
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by basil75 »

Could be wrong, but didn't Morecambe have quite a high player turnover last summer - hence the "one off". Also, Dagenham gave L1 a damn good go, considering that they lost their best player that got them there (much like when we were promoted to L1).

I don't see a particular reason why we wouldn't do as well next season (I'm not necessarily saying I expect us to). Okay, our budget won't be the greatest - but correlation between budget and success has always been relatively weak in this division. However, what he have got is a very good footballing side, which IMO will only take a bit of tweaking here and there to make an excellent side - also some players are still developing and will only get better. We only have 4 players out of contract - and based on interviews and interpretation - their still ours if we want them. Plus Stanley seems keen.

Budget will affect depth - but again there seems little relation between squad depth and final position - bizarre considering the fixture congestion. Ultimately, shrewd loan signings can help prevent such problems.

Basically I'd much rather have a good quality squad with a good bond between the players and a smaller budget. Than a Bradford or AC Northampton-esque mega budget that relies on a brand new squad clicking immediately - something that has more often than not failed in recent seasons.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Whether he goes or not, career wise, it makes no sense. He has achieved the impossible (almost) and got a Torquay side into the playoffs when, really, we have no right to be there given the nature (and size) of some of the other clubs in this division now. What he has achieved in the last 4 years, under the conditions which he has achieved it, is nothing short of a miracle. IF, and it's a big if, but IF we get promoted this year, he will have proven himself to be some sort of managerial demi-God. Able to take a non existent team/club and turn them around into a L1 side in barely 4 years, with three "Wembley" trips on the way. To then drop back down into L2 and simple prove that he can pilot the biggest fish in the pond to a League title will do him no favours. He will either achieve it easily, and people will say that he bloody ought to have done, given their budget etc. Or he'll fail, and people will say he was a one season wonder with us because he can't repeat his success, even given a much simpler task.
It's lose-lose for him and it will get him nowhere in the long run.

Now, this is leaving aside the massive salary increase which he would obviously receive, could I possibly be cynical enough to believe that he would **** off in the middle of the playoffs to some tin pot L2 side who are so deep in the shit they can no longer see the sky (this vitriol may have been lessened if 90% of their fans on here weren't acting like totally inbred ****), simply for a few grand a week in his sprocket?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Chant for saturday - 'Paul Buckles Yellow Army!'
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

On the flip side, if everyone (i.e the board) is aware he's going and its planned in, then you would have thought they've lined someone up who is in the planning stages for us next year and watching with interest.

My starter for ten, Paul Trollope. I wouldn't be too upset with that.
TUST #324
SantaCruzScotty
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kee

Post by SantaCruzScotty »

Don't you think any members of the board, or buckle himself would be looking at these threads?
Surley he knows the fans of TUFC supported him throguhout the confrence, league two, the match against hereford, where a mistake had happened?
He knows that the yellow army trust in him, he "feels" at home as he said in febuary or so.

I don't see why he would leave for a lower league team (Providing we get promoted) as our budget must get better through Sky sports showing us, more fans, promotion fee and all the other crap.
Many players trust him as well and have a real good bond with him.
If he is clever enoguh, he'd stay here, because he knows the team, hes spent what 3/4 years with us?

And IMO i think Rovers will lose alot of funds being in league two as there main rivals are higher up. Give it two or three years in league two and they'll stuggle for money and maybe even get relegated.
Torquay Till I Die!