Branston going... NOW OFFICIAL !!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

The side of the ball sums up how I feel at the moment........flat.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

royalgull wrote:Cult hero, brilliant defender and for me the main reason we went from fodder to contenders. He sorted us out at the back, and was just outstanding for us. We are so screwed for next season, hope is fading away.
After the departure of 1 player? You're one that generally see's the positives of any situation Royal. He's been great for us, but is not irreplaceable (as few players are at this level). In fact, if his previous career is anything to go by, the fact he was so good last season, it probably follows he'll struggle next. Stanley was a bigger loss for me.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I know Fonda, I clung to the hope Branston would be here to help our young squad next season. Can't agree that Stanley is/was a bigger miss. Branston has completely sorted our defense out since joining the club, been a model of consistency and put in a stack of high quality performances.

Ling has a massive job trying to replace Branston's quality at centre back as well as his influence off the field.

By all accounts Ling likes this lad Brian Saah but I can't see him being the influence that big Guy was. :(
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Perhaps, perhaps not. It's a toss up between ball retention and line clearance for me.
Pickles was dynamite at the back, no doubt, but it came at the price of (almost) always costing us possession. Hopefully, with Mark and one other at the back in the middle, the goals which Pickles' absence will cost us will be outweighed by those we don't concede and indeed, those we may score, as a result of not giving away the ball with a hopeful punt upfield or a siege gun header.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Saddened that he's gone. :(

What is it with the "curse" of the Player Of The Season Award ? :( Maybe fanny Stevens should have won it. :devil:

Thank you Guy Branston and good luck with best wishes for the future. :clap: :bow: :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

ferrarilover wrote:Perhaps, perhaps not. It's a toss up between ball retention and line clearance for me.
Pickles was dynamite at the back, no doubt, but it came at the price of (almost) always costing us possession. Hopefully, with Mark and one other at the back in the middle, the goals which Pickles' absence will cost us will be outweighed by those we don't concede and indeed, those we may score, as a result of not giving away the ball with a hopeful punt upfield or a siege gun header.

Matt.
That'll be Chris and one other i reckon... :-D
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Who'd you reckon is in for Mark then?
Well known that the only thing making Mark want away form Torquay was PB, and now he's gone.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

No, i don't think he'll leave. And it might be that they will play alongside each other. But if another centre-half is brought to the club (and probably will be), i think Robbo is in prime position to play alongside him (more experience, and more recently in the side).
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Branstonbauer had a big influence whilst here, but I can t see him being worth a 2 year contract.

We are fortunate to have a very good defender in Mark Ellis waiting in the wings.

Time for him to step up to the plate and prove that he should play at a higher level in the future.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Southampton Gull wrote:Branstonbauer is now merely Branstonbantam.

Au revoir.

Should it not be Bantambauer ? ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
clemy1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Wroe

Post by clemy1989 »

got a reply from guy this morning after i wished him all the best at bradford. He thanked the fans and said he loves torquay. He also stated that he would respect the fans and the ground when he returns. Don't think he was overly keen on our new manager however he stated the 2 year deal as the thing that clinched it with bradford
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Gutted! Can only hope he proves some right that his best year is behind him and that Ellis can step up and fill the gap.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Clemy you say you don't think branno was happy with the new manager - did he actually say anything that hinted at that or is the comment there because you're not happy?

The move makes sense - probably more money, longer contract and better location for him. Looking at the timings the contract was probably signed before ling was announced.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

The Herald reports that we also offered Branno a two-year contract, but just couldn't compete with the financial terms on offer at Valley Parade.

It's a shame, but he's not irreplaceable. Time for Ellis to shine, although I would expect Ling to sign a new centre-back - probably Saah.
clemy1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Wroe

Post by clemy1989 »

i posted to guy saying, good luck etc and in my post i said im not to pleased with our new manager but such is life etc. Guy replied saying he was a tad suprised and it certainly wouldn't of been his pick. Although he stopped short of naming anybody on the so called shortlist.