Ling v Buckle

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
budleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by budleigh »

2-5 ft ho ho
Imagine the outcry if we had to suffer the indignity of such a result at Plainmoor.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

budleigh wrote: Imagine the outcry if we had to suffer the indignity of such a result at Plainmoor.

We had an equally poor result the following week (1-4), stuck by the team and manager and the rest, as they say, is history. :)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
markw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by markw »

According to the Rovers web site, buckle has just signed Poke on a loan deal, which the rovers fans weren't to happy about, given his Torquay history, didn't want to tell them how good he actually is. But the fact remains it shows buckles lack of scouting knowledge
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I rate Poke as much as anyone BUT he is definitely a confidence keeper, imagine if he has a nervy start in that atmosphere :)
Dave

yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Oh dear. It seems that the Gashead’s board have decided that this contest will not run the full distance of a complete season.

Now we will never know royalgull....well not much anyway.

Deep and unbridled joy. :devil:
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I think I have read all 80 posts but one opinion is missing.
What do our senior pros like Manse and Nico think of Paul Buckle?
I would love to know because their opinion would be the one I would most respect.
Does anyone have an inkling?
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Can we close this thread down and get on with the rest of our football lives now PB is history at Rovers?
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Thread locked and closed (awaiting Mod confirmation) :devil:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Early days yet. Buckle could get the US job and who is to say Ling won't succeed Fabio? Let's wait until after the 2014 World Cup :)
Dave

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Southampton Gull wrote:Early days yet. Buckle could get the US job and who is to say Ling won't succeed Fabio? Let's wait until after the 2014 World Cup :)

:O :rofl: :lol:
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

yellow wrote:Oh dear. It seems that the Gashead’s board have decided that this contest will not run the full distance of a complete season.

Now we will never know royalgull....well not much anyway.

Deep and unbridled joy. :devil:
It was never a contest, my original post was highlighting an area where I think Ling far exceeds Buckle and that was getting the maximum out of a squad and giving people already here the confidence and the chance to play rather than immediately just going to the loan market with varied levels of success.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

portugull wrote:I think I have read all 80 posts but one opinion is missing.
What do our senior pros like Manse and Nico think of Paul Buckle?
I would love to know because their opinion would be the one I would most respect.
Does anyone have an inkling?
I am a friend of Lee Mansell. I have spoken to him a few times about this and he has always said that the lads always got on ok with PB. They can't quite understand why he seems to get into these situations. he always dealt fairly with them and thay said they respected him. It may be that they don't really want to let their true feelings out but I did get the impression that it was true. Strange that he couldn't get on with the fans.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Thank you Gloster. This confirms to me that PB would never have got us out of the BSP unless the dressing room backed him.
With the exception of Manse PB did after all bring all the players to the club himself.
Every weekend when I look at all the former League clubs in the BSP table I am just so pleased that after 2 seasons we escaped and love him or loathe him PB somehow acheived promotion back to League 2.
He does deserve some credit.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

He didn't do much in terms of identifying the players he brought here though, so I'd give more credit to the scout and also the Board who backed him more than any other manager in our history. He lost any credit I'd have given him when he stiffed us before last season was even close to being over.
Dave

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Southampton I very much respect your opinion and it may be true but much of the credit for Buckles signings must go to the scout. However, the manager still has to back the signings and recommend them to the board. currently 7 players who are first choice every week (Ellis, Nico, Oastler, Stevens, Lathrope, O`Kane and Robbo?) were all signed by PB and I think most supporters would agree that they have all proved to be first rate signings given our budget and location.

as for your point about Buckles departure could the board have told Bristol Rovers when they approached the club that until the play offs were over and our status for season 2011/12 was known no negotiations could begin. Buckle was under contract to Torquay and the board surely could have, but chose not to, block the deal until the situation was clear. Have I misunderstood something?

surely the whole problem was because of the very unfortunate timing.