Eunan to Swindon

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

usagullmichigan wrote: So that was BS then.
it's not to say there wasn't an approach, but hopefully at least meant swindon (or anyone else) were not allowed to speak to him until the season was over. who knows :|
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Got the impression last night was his last game for us. I hope he doesn't go to Swindon though, Di Canio doesn't let his squad settle and it'd be a shame for Eunan to be sat on the bench for half the season!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Southampton Gull wrote:
Stop teasing ;-)
Just passing on the latest word on the street.. :) , as a general point, argeed think Eunan is on his way, but where ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Two other clubs interested in him besides Swindon, let's hope it sparks a bidding war because whoever stuck the paltry value on him wants their arse kicking.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Southampton Gull wrote:Two other clubs interested in him besides Swindon, let's hope it sparks a bidding war because whoever stuck the paltry value on him wants their arse kicking.
Agreed - why does this type of thing happen again and again? Does not happen at other clubs - they seem to get far more than us for their talent.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Take Fleetwood and Jamie Vardy. A guy who has never played in the FL is going to Leicester for over £1m, possibly rising to around £1.7m.

And we're talking £200k for O'Kane? Dear oh dear.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Yes, but Vardy puts the ball in the back of the net.

I think we've all seen recently how valuable that is!!
TUST #324
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Couldn't see this mentioned anywhere - Bodin offered a new contract at Swindon, which may well end any chance of a swap deal for Eunan, dissapointingly.

http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/page/New ... 17,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

I agree that I think last night was the last we will see of Eunan. In all honesty, I think he is a great player and will no undoubtedly get stronger as he matures. He has been great for us for the vast majority of the season and I thank him for all his hard work. That said, I don't think he will be a massive loss given his recent performances. With the exception of last nights game he has been average over several recent games for us.

I also agree that it is about time that we started getting better money for our players. It seems as if a number of higher league clubs think that Torquay need the money so we can offer what we like and they will take it. I hope that the management are harder in their negotiations to get a better deal for the club. If a decent fee is obtained, I can see us really adding some strength to the side for next season.
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Not in the least bit surprised that Swindon have offered Billy Bodin a new contract as they were surely always going to do that, it would be totally unrealistic to think that they would let him leave for free in the summer!

It now depends whether young Bodin accepts their offer or not. On the one hand he may not fancy being an (even more so in League 1) fringe player under PDC or On he other he may decide to sign a new deal with them and bide his time, probably in the hope that eventually PDC will move on and he will get his chance under someone else.

Realistically I think the only way he might come here is in some sort of swap deal with EOK. I really can't see us being able to agree a sensible fee with PDC and STFC on a stand alone deal and I doubt whether our club would want to take the risk of going to a tribunal set fee as that could end up with us having to pay more than we can afford.

Interesting to see Paul Bodin senior at the game last night although we shouldn't read anything more into that as we all know he is Lingy's best mate in football.

Talking of which, there were a few other "old" faces at the game last night as well. I spotted Robbo, Toddy and (no doubt looking for move back?) Branno in attendance last night as well as Greavsie who was apparently doing the Radio 5 live summarising.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Don't dissagree with you Nick, however you can't compare one transfer with another and say because one player is worth..x another is worth ..y.

As numpte quite rightly says , good strikers are worth double any other position clubs will pay a small fortune for a goalscorer, Vardy has scored 120 plus goals in 180 matchs, yes non-league, however a prime example is Jermaine Beckord, scored 54 goals wealdstone and 2 for uxbridge, before Championship Leeds brought him in 2006, he went on to play 34 times for Everton now a regular starter for Leicester, and continued to score goals for all these clubs.

Leicester have looked at Vardy as someone in the same mold as Beckford and thats what they have paid for, I hope as Dave says above a bidding war takes place , that way our club will be in a position to hold out for a biggest fee possible, again a player is no different to a house only worth what some one will pay, if their are 3 clubs out their interested, and they all bid over our asking price, the top bid will be what Eunan is worth, let hope that's some way over 200k.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote:Two other clubs interested in him besides Swindon, let's hope it sparks a bidding war because whoever stuck the paltry value on him wants their arse kicking.
I know it's frustrating Dave but at the end of the day these type of clauses (release fees) are surely all put in by the player, or more accurately the players agent, to ensure that the player's best interests are protected. So that clubs who are reluctant sellers cannot demand "silly" fees for any of their players under contract and thereby denying their player a chance to, in most cases, play at higher level for more money.

Ultimately,it was probably EOKs agent who insisted on the release fee clause and they probably set the level. How negotiable that was, we don't know and whether we could have played hard ball as to the size of it is open to question but I guess our agreeing to it was a factor in EOK signing a new, longer deal a few months back, which he might not otherwise have done?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well if our club did agree to such a release clause, at £200k that would go down as the most insane piece of bad buisness in the history.

What on earth would have been the point of him signing a new contract with that condition, the club would not in any way be protecting their own interests, the club just aswell as let Eunan's contract run out (under24), as a tribunal may have awarded us a fee higher than that anyway.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

forevertufc wrote:Well if our club did agree to such a release clause, at £200k that would go down as the most insane piece of bad buisness in the history.
Surely the most insane piece of bad business in the history of our club is the guy who gave his pension fund to the charlatan Chris Roberts? :lol:
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

He didn't have to sign an extended contract did he? Perhaps the 200k release (rumoured) was part of the deal to sign for another 2 years.

Would it be entirely responsible and sensible to let his contract run out to let a tribunal set a figure? No
TUST #324