crawley it is then..

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Southampton Gull wrote:I think you'll find that the whole of non-league football will be rooting for us :scarf:
or anybody, in football and outside of football, who have ever had any interaction with Pat and Claire :lol:
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Getting slated by Crawley fans?

We've hit a new low, I think...

If they're so much bigger and better than us, we might aswell just give them the 90k now and stop them from even turning up.

I'm really quaking in my boots at the thought of the MASSIVE Crawley Town coming to us...

:(
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Having watched the win over Derby I would say that we are in for a very hard game. They thoroughly deserved their win although for a championship side Derby were abyssmal.
Certainly the after match reaction seemed to be that they were going to reach the fifth round, and if anything that sort of over confidence may count in our favour, not to mention Crawley have a couple of midweek matches as well before the Cup Tie.
Clearly what sort of chance we have may depend ultimately on what sort of side we get on the pitch. If we sell the likes of Benyon and Ellis then there is no chance we will win.
If we put out the side that won against Carlisle and Crewe and play well we can do it.
I thought the two Crawley Central defenders looked a bit leggy and vulnerable to forwards running into the channels - that said god knows what Clough was doing playing one striker.
I would certainly see the combination of the roadrunners Benyon and Zebroski causing massive problems for their two at the back.
Lets hope they think that they have done all the hard work by beating Swindon and Derby.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Absolutely spot on Brucie.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

brucie wrote:Having watched the win over Derby I would say that we are in for a very hard game. They thoroughly deserved their win although for a championship side Derby were abyssmal.
Certainly the after match reaction seemed to be that they were going to reach the fifth round, and if anything that sort of over confidence may count in our favour, not to mention Crawley have a couple of midweek matches as well before the Cup Tie.
Clearly what sort of chance we have may depend ultimately on what sort of side we get on the pitch. If we sell the likes of Benyon and Ellis then there is no chance we will win.
If we put out the side that won against Carlisle and Crewe and play well we can do it.
I thought the two Crawley Central defenders looked a bit leggy and vulnerable to forwards running into the channels - that said god knows what Clough was doing playing one striker.
I would certainly see the combination of the roadrunners Benyon and Zebroski causing massive problems for their two at the back.
Lets hope they think that they have done all the hard work by beating Swindon and Derby.
Welcome back. You're right and regarding selling Benyon, Ellis and O'Kane, I think the game being on 29th January and the draw on 30th January will help us. We'll probably wait to see the outcome of the game and the draw to decide whether we'll sell. I'd hope so anyway. If we do lose to Crawley we'll be in for a horrible few days until the end of the window.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I thought we were playing Crawley? Judging by the comments of their 'supporters' it must be Chelsea? What kind of arrogance does a club possess, when it refers to a team in a higher division in such a condascending manner.

Let them get on with i say. Let them have all the attention, and do all the talking. Hopefully Bucks will stick a few comments on the dressing room wall, and our players can respond for us.

It's destined to be a tough game for sure, any club with their resources is bound to have some quality - even one with Steve Evans in charge. But we have a pretty decent team of our own.

From what i'm reading, it's them that has the surprise coming, not us. Underdogs at home to a team in the division below? That's just how we like it. Keep talking Crawley...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

Following elation at beating Carlisle I didn't even bother to find out who we'd drawn until the following day as I didn't think my nerves would stand it after the fiasco of the previous draw. My initial reaction, like many (most?) of us was oh joy, it's Crawley. However, after listening to the Crawley v Derby game on Radio 5 Live I'm actually excited. Really excited. Excited because we are in the fourth round of the FA Cup AGAIN. Is the magic of the FA cup alive? You bet! We MIGHT, just might, as has already been suggested, hold onto Benyon, Ellis and O'Kane until the end of January and in the meantime continue our assault on the league with what from all accounts was, at times, and sometimes for long periods, BEAUTIFUL football against Crewe last night. Our lads are sure to be fired up all month, we have lots of games to play and we're on a winning streak. Saul Halpin is about to break into the first team which also excites me because from what I've seen and heard I do think he's a big part of our future. We have every chance of having a cracking few weeks ahead of us (then Buckle will go and get Manager of the Month and it'll all fall to pieces in February..no no stay positive...) but hey! we MIGHT beat Crawley. David Beckham MIGHT sign for Spurs. We MIGHT get them down here in the Fifth round of the FA Cup, LA Galaxy MIGHT give him permission to play and Kevin Nicholson will give him a sublime masterclass in the set piece.... If we can't dream now, when can we? All we can do is our best and I know that we will. COYY
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

One of the many similar views from their pikey forum!

Bless you for your interest Mr Inns. Of course I realise that fans of your club have no need to read the Conference forum, until next season that is, but if you had a look you would see my explanation of the club's financial position, which I shall repeat briefly for your benefit.

The club is blessed with investment from our new owner, Sheikh Ibn Al Promotion. If we need any increase in funds, he just increases the quota of barrels being filled at his oilfields. If he ever becomes disinterested he has several football mad heirs who would contine to be interested and would takeover his position.

So you see you really shouldn't be concerned about us. We certainly look forward to our visit to you in the Cup as it is unlikely we will be playing you next season when we are in the Football League because your selling of Crawley reject Benyon and a few others will lead to a downturn in your form and your defeat by us will cause such turmoil at your club that we will pass you on our way up while you enjoy a return to the Conference.

I hope this brief explanation clarifies the situation and reassures you that there really is no cause for concern.

Bless you for your interest.

BTW can you get someone at your club to let us know as soon as possible whether the date will be moved to accomodate tv coverage.

Thank you in advance, and please enjoy a good season until we spoil things for you

Here is another one:

Of course they are worried. We're better than them, and our away form is good. Not sure what sort of season they are having, but I genuinely feel they are there for the taking.

And it goes on!:

We've beaten Swindon away Derby at home. Do you think that little old Torquay hold any fear for us?

The dillusions of granduar is amazing!
TUST member 328
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Let them have their "delusions of grandeur", we just need to show some class and not resort to their level.

They will give us a tough game of that I'm sure, but with the results we've had at times there is no need to feel worried, we just need to make sure we're focussed and play to our own strengths, unlike Derby who played right into their hands.
Dave

Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Southampton Gull wrote:Let them have their "delusions of grandeur", we just need to show some class and not resort to their level.

They will give us a tough game of that I'm sure, but with the results we've had at times there is no need to feel worried, we just need to make sure we're focussed and play to our own strengths, unlike Derby who played right into their hands.
Yeah - I remember the first time when Stevenage played Newcastle and Stevenage (non league at the time) came out with all sorts on nonsence. Public opinion soon changed and instead of public support there was public disapproval. Everyone got behind Newcastle and hoped they got beat.

Let hope the same happens here.
TUST member 328
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Those Crawley fans' comments made me chuckle.

After getting just under 4,000 against Derby, how many will turn up for the next home game? 1500?

Absolutely huge.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I feel sorry for their genuine fans, because they won't have a club to support within two years. This happens time and time again, but at least they can enjoy their time in the sun now for a while before AFC Crawley start out at the bottom again in 2013/14.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

So, you've spent 14,000,000,000,000,000 on players in 3 weeks, you're Premier League class and it is a loss to world football that you are ineligible for Champions League football?

Why then, pray tell, have you not won every match you have played, scoring 1000 and conceding none in the process?

I think you'll find it's because you are, despite paying massively over the odds* for distinctively average players, nothing more than a reasonably good non league club.

*they paid £275,000 for Brodie, now, I ask you, would you want Brodie, or Benyon, Ellis and O'Kane for the same fee?

I too have been on their forum, regarding possible attendance, it seems their plan may be to hire an airplane, yup, a fecking AIRPLANE for the mammoth 208 mile journey.

Matt.
Last edited by ferrarilover on 12 Jan 2011, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

ferrarilover wrote: I too have been on their forum, regarding possible attendance, it seems their plan may be to hire an airplane, yup, a fecking AIRPLANE for the mammoth 208 mile journey.

Matt.

......and they will still be 20+ miles short of Plainmoor :)
Dave

jackospinking
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by jackospinking »

Richinns wrote:One of the many similar views from their pikey forum!

Bless you for your interest Mr Inns. Of course I realise that fans of your club have no need to read the Conference forum, until next season that is, but if you had a look you would see my explanation of the club's financial position, which I shall repeat briefly for your benefit.

The club is blessed with investment from our new owner, Sheikh Ibn Al Promotion. If we need any increase in funds, he just increases the quota of barrels being filled at his oilfields. If he ever becomes disinterested he has several football mad heirs who would contine to be interested and would takeover his position.

So you see you really shouldn't be concerned about us. We certainly look forward to our visit to you in the Cup as it is unlikely we will be playing you next season when we are in the Football League because your selling of Crawley reject Benyon and a few others will lead to a downturn in your form and your defeat by us will cause such turmoil at your club that we will pass you on our way up while you enjoy a return to the Conference.

I hope this brief explanation clarifies the situation and reassures you that there really is no cause for concern.

Bless you for your interest.

BTW can you get someone at your club to let us know as soon as possible whether the date will be moved to accomodate tv coverage.

Thank you in advance, and please enjoy a good season until we spoil things for you

Here is another one:

Of course they are worried. We're better than them, and our away form is good. Not sure what sort of season they are having, but I genuinely feel they are there for the taking.

And it goes on!:

We've beaten Swindon away Derby at home. Do you think that little old Torquay hold any fear for us?

The dillusions of granduar is amazing!
ahh Inns you seem to have lost your sense of humour!! the quotes you have posted are a tad bit unfair, we have also warned our "pikeys" of over confidence, but you seemed to omit them from your post!, anyway im here in peace from crawley, and really looking forward to our game, let the Banter commense! :lol: