New Chairman/Chairwoman - Thea Bristow

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

budleigh wrote:Of course, the whole situation may be far less complex than being made out.

Let's say that with a larger-than-normal amount of board members at Torquay United it has been agreed that the role of chairman is to be restricted to a set term; two years? This allows a new member of the board to put themselves forward take the position, if so desired, without seeming to show a lack of confidence in the person already at the helm.
If so, maybe it had already been decided that the vice-chairman, Thea Bristow, would be the new chairman come the end of this season. But the club now finds itself in a position where there is a fair chance of dropping out of the league with three games to go and Thea who, along with her husband Paul, has given so much to the club over the last five or so years, would find herself taking the helm of a non-league outfit.
Maybe the board felt that it would be the right thing to offer her the chance to be the chairman of Torquay United as a league club, even if it only proves to be for a minimal amount of time, and so brought forward the appointment. At least she can say that she was a football league chairman.
Of course, the conspiracy theorists may think this complete baloney; and they may be right, what does anyone really know?

Bud, if that's true then the club are even deeper trouble than I thought.
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Jerry wrote:

Got to agree with this.

Why couldn't the club have just told us what Budleigh just has?

Then all the hand-wringing and conspiracy theories wouldn't have got off the ground.
Maybe, just maybe, because it isn't the case.

Maybe the club know something we don't. Maybe they know that we are certain to be relegated for whatever reason. Maybe they know something so shocking that to announce it publicly would result in a zero attendance for the next three games, or severe embarrassment for Simon Baker or someone else. Maybe Simon has been certified as mentally insufficient and therefore disbarred from running a company?

Yeah, it might be the case that Budderz is correct, but then, it might turn out that the truth is actually worse than the conspiracy theories.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Thea Bristow in charge of her investment with Alex Rowe advising business related decisions

Simon baker and Andrew C advising sensible fan related decisions

And Bill Phillips making the tea
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

Phillips should be shown the door, Baker and Rowe can carry his bags and go with him.
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Aside from TUFC, what does Alex Rowe do?

Matt.

DTG, that's two posts since I asked for an explanation of your reply to me and you've not bothered. Did I **** your mum or something?
budleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by budleigh »

Bud, if that's true then the club are even deeper trouble than I thought.
I have no real idea of the situation. I was just putting what I felt was a plausible theory in place.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

hopefully we can get the funding that will be needed to get us out of the BSP next year!
The gulls are going up
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Gullscorer wrote:Thea Bristow may be a person, as we all are, and if she were a man she would be chairMAN, but she is a woman and is therefore chairWOMAN.. :-D

Of course, to my mind, to call anybody a CHAIR is downright insulting.. :@
Then again. she may have realised some of you barmy lot may have used the chair as an excuse to include it in the Cats or table debate on the other end of the forum. Now that would open up the debate wouldn't it?
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

ferrarilover wrote:Oooh, this could cause the biggest fight yet...

I think Chairman is acceptable for a woman, since it's the name of the position, rather than with reference to the gender of the incumbent. Thea is right, Chairperson is a ridiculous phrase dreamt up by people who understand neither the sociological, historical nor grammatical implications of the phrase Chairman.

Matt.
Now steady on Matt. You know full well that using theses posh words confuse a lot of our fans. Keep your toes on the ground young man so others will understand what your on about. :lol:

jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

ferrarilover wrote: DTG, that's two posts since I asked for an explanation of your reply to me and you've not bothered. Did I f**k your mum or something?
I would be stupefied to learn that you had been with any woman.

But if you are keen to pop your cherry, this glostergull person seems up for it..?
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

jonnyfive wrote:
I would be stupefied to learn that you had been with any woman.

But if you are keen to pop your cherry, this glostergull person seems up for it..?
Who knew Rhod Gilbert was a member of the forum...

Matt.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Hilarious mate, are you an Accoumtant? You clearly have no understamding of CRM.

At the risk of incuring his wrath Matt. I think he is alluding to one of two terms I and one or two company accountants and Company secretarys have used in meetings. The latest term is Customer-relationship-management. there is even software available for it. The other way we have used this term is Controlled Risk managment. That should be fairly obvious to all. Both versions should be in use withing our club.
The problem with controlling a risk with our club is the very way in which we have to manage our business in the face of not knowing what attendances wiil be each and every game whereas I do have a much better idea of what is going to come through my door each day. a football club has pressures on it which cannot be related to most businesses. It doesn't matter what you do there is no way you can garuantee that whatever you through at it you cannot make it succeed. But most businesses can throw money at a problem which can make things better. and be more sure in what they have done.
Take financing a manager. he can ask for money to buy a player who looks brilliant on paper and yet arrives at the club and you find he cannot juggle the ball past the local donkey in the corner of the field.
Yet I can arrest a sales problem and be fairly sure by emplying a half decent guy in tech that a launch of a product or relaunch will increase sales. if you can see what I mean.
Look at the signing of Billy Bodin.
He came along when we were doing well and slotted in with the way we played at the time and with the players we had at the time. Then he signed and certain players were not in the team that he played and slotted in well with so the way we played didnt't work out and he was less effective in some areas. Get in a different players and he could change in an instant.
Managers quite often get in a player and I am convinced that they system the player was in that attracted the manager to get him in in the first place was attractive to his style of play. But then he is slotted into our team and they are different players who play in the slightly different way to what he was used to and all of a sudden things are not working out. It can take a while to sort out who is best to get in to make his style work best.
This is problem that most other types of business don';t have to cope with. It's unique to football.

There is one thing I am beginning to take exception to on this forum though. This is a football game. nothing more,. Nothing less. it's not life and death. So whatever your views on what is happening to or around this club. Personal insults are not the way to sort it out. It tells us all a lot more about the sort of person you are than the person you are firing insults at.
It is not on to personally insult players./ fans/ Directors or any members of staff. So stop it! there is no justification for it. it's not on.
No wonder I have no ambitions to be on the board.

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Johnny five.
What in the name of all that is Holy gave you the idea I would be Matts live in Lover or whatever you want to term it. All the time I have known him he has only drooled after my car. well at least it wasn't orange.

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Cheers for the explanation Glos. I'm still confused as to why this DTG geezer reckons the signing of Billy Bodin has anything to do with the Thea Bristow being some sort of business administration doyen (is there a feminine equivalent of this word?), but it's nice to be aware of yet another three letter acronym.

Matt.

If the Jag is still knocking about, I would happily enslave myself to you as your chauffeur.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Richinns wrote:
Not accusing you personally, as you have not been party to this, but some of the personal things said on here are nothing short of bullying. If (which I am sure it is) this sort of vulgar behaviour is repeated to his face at matches then he should not have to hack it - no one should.

He took the role because he loves the club and thought he could help move us forward whilst putting sustainability at its core. Questions can be asked of him and the board in their pro-activeness in the current season but we must remember they needed to be made in bizarre and confusing circumstances. Personal attacks, however, are just simply not justified as at the end of the day he is exactly like all of us on here - a fan who loves the club.
Agree with this.