Ideas for Mr Candy

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

brucie wrote:The message from Neal just about sums up how far the club has to go with regard to customer service. I didn't go to the match today because Bristows Bench was sold out earlier in the week.
At the Barnet match I sat in a seat which was not my allocated one as I went with a friend who was a season ticket.
Two minutes before the game a male with a Bristolean accent told me I was sitting in his seat. Rightly or wrongly I refused to move and he sat nearby (after I recieved a mouthful of abuse) - through the entire game the male did not cheer at all. I guess he had attended with the purpose of purchasing a ticket in the home end for todays game.
I wasn't there today so can only go by the comments on here and the comments by Steve Breed on the radio concerning the number of Bristol Rovers in Bristows Bench (and indeed apparently given an area of the popside).
I would be interested in Mr Candys view of this matter. I wonder if Mr Candy would like to enlighten me as to what other football league ground you could go to - get a ticket in the home end - cheer like mad throughout the game and not be removed by the conclusion of the match?
Surely a rule that visiting supporters cannot access the home end isn't that hard to enforce.
Clearly a message via the Bristol Rovers website that ANY visiting fans found to have entered the home section would be removed would be clear enough.
Its a shame that this action wasn't enforced - its potentially a public order situation waiting to occur - we could have been relegated and tempers could have run very high.
Bristol / Torquay accent, is there a difference? :~D

You all sound like you are milking cows to me! :na: :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Its a VERY different accent surprisingly the Bristol accent sounds more like a country bumpkin accent than us proper west country people !!
As for that Northern version of the English language ......well.....
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Gilbert's absence yesterday (at the biggest [in terms of numbers] game of the season) has been noted. Indeed, Gilbert's performances, if you can call them that, this season have been little short of risible. He appears for ten or fifteen minutes before the game and is never seen again. This would never have happened back in the days of 'One Can Lasher', United's best-ever Gilbert.
My suggestion to Mr. Candy is this: employ a professional comedian as Gilbert. It wouldn't cost much and the comedian would know enough tricks of the trade to keep the crowd happy and interested, before, after, and more importantly DURING the match (we often see other teams' mascots jumping and capering when a goal is scored). The comedian would quickly grow into the role. Mascots are important features of all other clubs, but in recent years Gilbert has become more or less invisible at Plainmoor. If the club wants to have a mascot at all, at least get one who can do the job. So publicise the job (is there a trade paper for comedians), interview likely contenders - and get a decent and (hopefully) lovable GILBERT.
A Candy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by A Candy »

Good Morning.
First of all a big thank you to all our fans for their wonderful support in what was a pulsating game and the part they played in the securing of our league status.
OK-I am not going to duck the issues that have been raised so I will do my best to explain some of the background to the less savory events of yesterday.
Why was the game not all ticket?-we had the option of making this an all ticket game but from previous occasions when we have done this the feedback from fans was that it is not popular as they have to make two journeys and for exiled fans it is even more difficult. All ticket games have often resulted in poorer attendances and loss of income. After yesterday we will need to reassess this for the big games next season.
What was done to prevent Rovers fans buying home tickets?-we did not intentionally sell any tickets to Rovers fans in accordance with our agreement with the Safety Advisory Group ( SAG) and the Police. We suspended the on-line ticketing system as it was open to abuse from away fans. No tickets were sent to a Bristol or surrounding post code. We asked for identity from people who we did not recognise as home fans. The Police had local "spotters" to try and identify away fans trying to get in the Popside.
Why did Rovers fans still get in?-tickets were bought by local people, including some hoteliers, using local addresses on behalf of Rovers fans.Many fans were stopped getting in but some away fans did still manage to get through our security arrangements ( which will now be reviewed as clearly there are flaws).
Why were they not given more tickets as it was obvious that they would try and get in home areas?-they were given the full allocation for away fans, including the area normally covered by the flag as a segregation line. We employed more stewards in order to open this area. Given the importance of this game to Torquay fans it would not have been right to give Rovers an area that is designated for home fans.
Why were the fans in the home areas not evicted?-it was agreed between the Club, the Safety Officer and the Police that a decision on evictions would depend on whether this would make the situation more dangerous than leaving them where they were. For example, trying to evict a group of fans in BB could cause more safety issues given the steepness of the stand. An area of the Bench was used as a spill over area to relocate away fans who were in home areas and this worked fairly well.
Were some home fans unable to get in?-Once the turnstiles had sold their allocation of tickets for the Popside ( BB and the Family Stand had sold out hours before kick off) fans were sent to Main Reception. We were able to allow all these fans in to the ground just before or just past kick off as we had a number of pre-sold tickets, complimentary and season tickets not claimed in sufficient numbers to get everyone in. Communication between the turnstiles and the main office could have been better and this will also be addressed. There were very regular updates on the website over ticket sales and advice to get to the ground early but for some people this is not always possible and supports the argument as to why all ticket games are not popular.
Why were there some empty seats?-a number of season ticket holders and people who bought tickets in advance did not turn up.
What is the capacity of the ground?-the capacity of the ground is normally 6,200 ( this includes press, directors, wheelchair users etc) but for safety reasons it was agreed with SAG that the capacity for the Popside would be reduced so the overall capacity yesterday was 5,970

I appreciate that some people will not be happy with the response but at least it provides you with an explanation. There are lessons to be learnt after every game and yesterday was no different.
Thank you again for your support, enjoy the summer break and hopefully we will see you at Plainmoor next season ( unless you are a Rovers fan trying to get in the home areas).
Have a good day.
Andrew
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Fair play to you for coming on here and answering the questions. I do appreciate that stopping away fans getting into the home stand is not that easy.
However are you seriously suggesting that the club turns a blind eye to a clear breach of rules because the stand is steep?
What happens in that case if there is a problem in the away end?
I am sorry but the message seems to be that visiting fans can do what the hell they like. As stated earlier Mr Breed was very critical of the policy concerning the away fans in Bristows Bench yesterday.
You seem to be laying yourself open to exactly the same thing happening when we play them again next season!
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

Maybe it's time to think the unthinkable. For these sort of games where we could probably sell over 2000 away tickets, perhaps we should give them the Pop and a section of the Family Stand for seating. Not ideal or probably very popular but it would allow us to cash in. Pompey would fill it, Rovers and GAWS. Our boys get the more acoustic away end, BB and what's left of the Family. Could work.
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

brucie wrote:Fair play to you for coming on here and answering the questions. I do appreciate that stopping away fans getting into the home stand is not that easy.
However are you seriously suggesting that the club turns a blind eye to a clear breach of rules because the stand is steep?
What happens in that case if there is a problem in the away end?
I am sorry but the message seems to be that visiting fans can do what the hell they like. As stated earlier Mr Breed was very critical of the policy concerning the away fans in Bristows Bench yesterday.
You seem to be laying yourself open to exactly the same thing happening when we play them again next season!

Surely if this was a safety concern then is it not a concern in general, for example......a fire!
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Not necessarily defending the decision but people in a fire want to get away from the situation, but the BR fans would presumably have been less co-operative
TUST number 080
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

DTG wrote:Maybe it's time to think the unthinkable. For these sort of games where we could probably sell over 2000 away tickets, perhaps we should give them the Pop and a section of the Family Stand for seating. Not ideal or probably very popular but it would allow us to cash in. Pompey would fill it, Rovers and GAWS. Our boys get the more acoustic away end, BB and what's left of the Family. Could work.
Bateson gave Argyle the pop one season and it didn't go down well. Having said that, the sad truth is we don't seem to have enough of our own fans to fill the stadium. Maybe we should re-visit this?
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

DevonYellow wrote: Bateson gave Argyle the pop one season and it didn't go down well. Having said that, the sad truth is we don't seem to have enough of our own fans to fill the stadium. Maybe we should re-visit this?

Difficult one, Bateson was rightly castigated for handing over the entire popside. Some members of the pop have asked before for the away end before now, could we not consider handing over half the pop (the Babbacombe half) and give the now away end to our singers? The pop regulars could still have the other end of the pop towards the family stand . This would also break up large away supports atmosphere and maybe create more of our own when maybe its vitaly needed?
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Andy C- Loving the new shirt but any chance the yellow can be made a little darker? Seems to be a popular idea for most on here!

I understand the club are trying to get away from the nasty gold colour we have seen in the past but a little darker shade might work better (if it is not too late??)
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Andy, thanks for the response. I think it certainly helps to calm things a bit if we do get to see things from the clubs perspective too, so cheers for that!

A question though regarding capacity, and I know theres a thread on it, but have we reduced capacity by having the Bench instead of the Grandstand?! If so, that is bizarre.
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Thanks for the response Andrew.

I am afraid the club didn't help itself on Saturday.

The official website stated that if away fans were spotted in home areas of the ground, they should be pointed out to stewards who would then have them removed. My bone of contention is why does the club make a statement such as this and place it on the website only to then turn a blind eye to proceedings. Quite how for example Bristol Rovers fans managed to get into the family stand and remain there sitting wearing their scalves is quite beyond me. I know a number of Bristol Rovers fans challenged me when I spoke to Stewards by stating 'We didn't cause any trouble' and I appreciate that in some areas of the ground this may have been the case; however I also witnessed a number of obscene gestures from Bristol Rovers fans in Bristows Bench and others openly celebrating in the family stand.

I do feel that we were lucky that the game finished the way it did. Had we been beaten by Bristol Rovers or in a worse-case scenario relegated, I am sure the decision to leave fans where they were as opposed to being removed would have been seriously called into question as I could imagine the situation would have turned ugly rather quickly.

The club have to be true to their word and carry out any pre-advised action and not to be seen to be a soft touch and lose respect - otherwise what is the point of publishing a policy we do not adhere to. I am sure if even 50 or 100 of their fans were turned away they would seriously consider travelling in future without a ticket.
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

its really not a problem, what is wrong with away fans celebrating wherever in the ground they are, surely we are all adult and civilised enough to be able to sit side by side and watch a football match??

our fans will rarely fill the ground, so whenever a club with bigger support comes to visit, give them as much of the ground as they need and we can fill into the rest, if the public cant turn up to support their own club then we cannot afford to turn away custom, so give argyle, exeter, pompey, gas etc etc the pop side and the away end if needs be. maybe decisions like that will shame the apathetic south devon public into actually watching their football league side??
still keeping the faith