Torquay United v FGR (Boxing day/Jan 1ST) double header match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

What a performance. The lads deserve all the plaudits today. They wanted every 50/50, pressed high, chased lost causes and Marsh and Wright looked like an exciting partnership.

Gerring stepped up today, as did Heslop, Richards and Lavercombe. Butler different class as always, but Andre Wright man of the match for me...he won the balls in the air, showed great strength to spin their defenders on many occasions and great vision to cross for our equaliser. His finish for the 4th was goal of the day for me.

Fans were great too.Right behind the team from the start and even after we went one nil down it was us singing loudest. Stark contrast to the FGR fans who started packing up their flags after the 4th!

Well done Kev, happy to admit I called this one wrong today. You set the lads up perfectly for this one and an inspired decision to make Richards captain. Keep proving me wrong please!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Richards was very good today I thought, getting stuck in and breaking up the play. He was also excellent as captain - when their player went in late for a tackle five minutes after Verma got booked, he was in the referee's face, then again when one of their players jumped with his arm around the throat of one of our players and the ref ignored it he was sticking up for us to the ref during the break in play. He also got involved to stop Berry getting booked for time wasting.

Speaking of which, I think the ref was excellent. I don't think he gave more than about five fouls all game and only one yellow. Any time players put in a challenge or came together, he let play go on. The linesman was also awake to award our goal, which was only over the line for about a second before the keeper knocked it back out.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

lucy6lucy remember your post on Christmas Eve? The team managed "to pull the rabbit out of the hat"

Can we pull off an even bigger shock on Monday at Cheltenham?
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Not a bad choice to take my five year old boy to his first ever game. Watching him and his big sister leaping around cheering after the fourth was a sight to behold.

Top performance from the lads today. They all put in a shift and really showed that the talent is there. Just need consistency and we'll drag ourselves out of this mess no problems.

Onwards and upwards!
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

lol on a side note, did anyone notice the amount of people (myself included) taking mobile phone pics of the score board towards and at the end?
4-1
4-1
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

SteveDeckchair wrote:Not a bad choice to take my five year old boy to his first ever game. Watching him and his big sister leaping around cheering after the fourth was a sight to behold.

Top performance from the lads today. They all put in a shift and really showed that the talent is there. Just need consistency and we'll drag ourselves out of this mess no problems.

Onwards and upwards!

That's how we all got condemned to a life of footballing misery ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

What a win.

I can't even put it into words. After all the pain and misery of the past few seasons this felt like a genuine turning point. Had tears in my eyes as did my Dad when the third went in. That's what it means to properly support a team.

Crowd amazing, team amazing. Fully deserved the win.

Let's kick on from here. Doubling my contribution to the player fund after that.

COYY
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I don't think the impact of Richards as captain can be underestimated. Always cajoling his teammates, slapping them on the back etc when they did something right. And more importantly, constantly in the refs ear. Cynical maybe, but everyone else does it so it's about time we did as well. And the fact you could see he was up for it - both at the start and the end. Really led by example.

Also a word on Gerring's performance. Yes, he's very rough around the edges and about as "agricultural" a centre half as you can get. But I thought he did well today - sure, he was hanging on by his fingernails at some points with lucky bounces etc, but he might some great challenges, blocks and clearances. He was also very vocal, orgainsing the back line. He'll never be first choice conference standard, but for me today he more than proved he'd be adequate cover. Let's not forget, Jon Parkin is THE archetypical target man at this level, and Gerring basically had him in his pocket today.

I've been a fan of Angus, and I'm not arguing he shouldn't get back in the team. But on today's showing, the armband should stay with Richards
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Kevon Nicholson must take a lot of the credit for this result. He has been working away doggedly in the face of much doubt and criticism to put things right in the squad, the foremost of which has been the fitness levels in the team. What a difference from a few weeks ago. This, along with a new determined attitude, discipline, and teamwork on the pitch, even if we lose the next two games, should give us a renewed optimism for the rest of the season.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Talking of 'agricultural' centre halves, never forget the great Reg Wyatt!
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

What an amazing and unexpected win for the Gulls which made it all the more sweeter. None of us present today really saw this coming. Yes, the 4-1 score line did flatter Torquay somewhat but for once Torquay were clinical in front of goal and the whole team defended resolutely as a unit in defence. It was a timely boost with Marsh and Berry returning from injury, 2 of Torquay's stronger performers. The sponsors MOTM went to the whole team!

Torquay kicked towards the family stand in the first against a strong wind. The opening period was quite low key which suited Torquay. Forest Green tried a couple of long range efforts that were just off target. Worryingly Lavercombe seemed slow to react which did not fill me with confidence. My worst fears were confirmed when another long range effort hit the back of the net with Lavercombe static. Whether he was unsighted I do not know, but his confidence levels seemed low and he seemed a weak link. Torquay however responded immediately with an opportunist goal by Marsh. It was debateable if the ball had crossed the line but the linesman flagged and the referee pointed to the half-way line. Both Marsh and Wright in attack struck a good understanding and both have pace to worry the opposition. Marsh's second goal was from a header thanks to a lovely cross on the left from Richards following a short corner. Marsh is the only striker we've had this season who has a habit of being in the right place at the right time. Since the departure of Hurst, Torquay's has had no other player who we can rely on to score.
There were some really strong first half performances from Berry, Butler and even Heslop with crunching tackles and above all battling commitment. There was a mix up when Smith headed the ball into the danger area in the penalty box, Gerring hesitated and Forest Green were through on goal. Gerring made a last ditch tackle from behind and got away with it.

Forest Green were through on goal early in the second half on our right but Lavercombe stood up well and saved with his legs. Torquay were less of a threat in the second half and Forest Green had several corners. Torquay kept solid and Lavercombe grew in confidence with safe handling. It seemed a case if Torquay could hold out for the rest of the match. Briscoe replaced goal hero Marsh which proved to be an inspired substitution. On the counter, Briscoe broke away and tried to round their keeper. The ball broke loose and right back Berry, of all players, was there to plant to ball in the net. Plainmoor erupted and Forest Green looked a beaten side. Wright following a defensive lapse then had their keeper to beat on our right and buried the ball powerfully low in their far corner.

At the final whistle Gulls fans finally had something to cheer about and we all enjoyed the moment. We are still a long way behind but hopefully today will give us a glimmer of hope? It seems Ajala and Daniel will re-join us soon and with our injured players coming back, our squad will at least have some decent options again. Even Big-Ex was on the bench today. It is still a really big ask to get out of this scrap and let's at least we make a decent go of it.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Better than Barnstoneworth winning in Ripping Yarns!
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Southampton Gull wrote:
That's how we all got condemned to a life of footballing misery ;-)
Too true Dave. Would have almost been better for them to witness a drubbing and never want to go back. He he.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

What a win, can't add much else to whats been said, passion, fight and a bit of luck and it all clicked!

Keep the faith!

Also good to see the gate +2000 yesterday - average gate below is holding up!