Buckle seen in Bristol

General chat about anything else goes here.
tommygull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by tommygull »

He does already live in Bristol I believe? That could be a factor
:( Tommy :)
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

Hi guys

Another Gashead here, just thought I would throw in my 2 penny's worth.

I have to be honest and say I dont know to much about Paul Buckle, I have not been keeping tabs on League 2 football for a few years as I cant stand the god awful sh*tpit. I have heard that he is not the brightest bulb in the house when it comes to tactics, and can be a bit naive, any truth in this? A lad on our forum has said that he has been down to Plain Moor quite reguarly this season as he lives down your way and said that he sometimes leaves a lot to be desired tactically.

He seems to be doing a decent job for you lot, and from what I have read on here, you seem to hold him in quite high regard.

There have been a lot of rumours lately about our managerial situation, Buckle is high on the list and is the bookies favourite, Danny Wilson is getting a mention and then the obvious ones are being thrown aboutlike Adie Boothroyd, Kevin Blackwell, Micky Adams....Even Paulo Di Canio's name has been thrown into the mix. I would prefer an up and coming young manager who has fresh ideas rather than just another journeyman just looking for an extra pay day, And Buckle according to you lot seems like he is indeed just that.

On the Buckle rumours though I must say that I dont agree with a lot of what you are saying, yes you could get promoted and be a division higher than us, or in the same league next season, but you have to look at the bigger picture. If he were to leave you to come to the Gas, then he will have a far bigger budget to work it, he could attract better quality players, his wages will be improved, playing in front of bigger crowds, and a much better opportunity to better himself. Whether you like it or not, Rovers are a sleeping giant, we are a big city club, with a massive potential, once the stadium gets sorted out, Rovers should be in the Championship playing in fornt of 15k fans, yes at the moment we are a small league 2 club like yourselves, but Rovers shouldn't be in this god awful division, when we came down last time it was the 1st time in our history we had been in the bottom division, and we were adamant that it would not happen again, unfortuantly it has and we are now 2 divisions below City which is the biggest gap either club has enjoyed over the other and it hurts, but be honest with yourself Torquay will always be at this level, you are punching above your weight, but at Rovers their is potential to go places. Yes it is a challenge if Buckle was to take it, but it certainly is not a backward step like some of you are saying.

Anyway good luck in the play offs, and i hope you beat The Shrews. Also just look at Rovers attendances at Wembley and Cardiff in the Play Offs and JPT, 45k fans at both finals, what could Torquay take to the equivilent maybe 15k? Thats the difference.

Edit: I will also be making my annual pilgrimage to Torquay in August, I have a time share at the Osbourne hotel, which isnt a bad little gaff. my handsome self will be making an appearnce in Mambo's as per usual to mesmerise the ladies with my stunning looks and physique. Im quite fond of The English Riviera
Last edited by BritishGAS on 12 May 2011, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

It always make s me chuckle when fans bring “we are a bigger club” into the argument about why a manager or player wish to move from one club to another, its irrelevant and bordering on pathetic to me.

Bristol Rovers are a bigger club that Torquay there is no doubt, all I can say there is, congratulations on such a wonderful achievement.

Gillingham, Oxford ,Crewe, Southend, Bradford, Luton, Wrexham and Grimsby and many more are all bigger clubs than us, and all finished behind us in league 2 or sit a division below us, but hey at least they can point towards being a bigger club.

On to the topic of the thread now, Bristol Rovers have said they will appoint a manager within “a” week, not within “this “ week, so I do not think that rules Paul Buckle out for one minute, and to say within a week is meaningless to be honest.

However it is entirely possible that Bucks was there looking at talking about signing a/or some of there players, so we should not jump to conclusions to quickly, that said he could very well have been there talking to them about becoming there next manager we will find out soon enough.

Paul Buckle is a young ambitious manager, whilst I have spoken about the club showing a real want to move on to the next level, as Fletch rightly pointed out to me, it is more likely the club can not provide the funds even if the wanted to(and I am sure they do), and here lie s the problem, if the club can not match Buckle s ambition, he may very well feel his job here is done in which case he is either going to end up at Rovers or another club he feels can match his ambition, sooner rather than later, also its clear to me he will not leave until after the play-off s are done and dusted.

Regardless of Bristol Rovers being a bigger club I do not see them as real progression for Paul Buckle, there are no quick fix s and I think he will need to find them, if they are not within touching distance of promotion by the half way point, bucks will become the latest victim there, if you are going leave this summer Paul chose wisely, and do not jump at the first club to offer you a bigger playing budget.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

You fall into the same trap as so many other fans of "big clubs".

You can say you shouldn't be in League Two until the cows come home, but face facts, you're there because over the course of a season you couldn't cut it in League One. Stop thinking of how "big" you are and realise how "crap" you are.

The percentage of Rovers fans with a Billy Big B*ll*cks attitude is truly astounding. AC Northampton have genuine rivals in the Gas.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

I am glad the Rovers fans have come on and told us they are a bigger club, I hadn't realised up until now.

BritishGas - thanks for the essay in the obvious.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Sorry forgot to add to my previous reply,speculating on a new manager should our club need one,whilst i would love to see Paul trollope down here,i do not think our club would be able to attract him or any other experienced manager.

It would more likey be another up and coming candidate,how about Hargreaves/Branston,both working towards there coaching badge's,and think would be popular amongst our fans.

One last thing why do people keep saying Bucks will be a massively improved wage packet at Rovers,are we presuming because we are so small Bucks is on small wages,does any one know what he earns with us? i doubt it,i dont and i am not going presume either.
Formerly known as forevertufc
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by BritishGAS »

Southampton Gull

I never said we dont deserve to be in League 2, we have been absolutely abysmal and have been shit and nothing short of useless and embarassing this season, If it wasn't for Will Hoskins we would have been relegated at Christmas.

But with our budget and transfer fee's we have paid out we shouldn't have been anywhere near the relegation zone, thats all I am saying.

Which makes it even more interesting as to why Buckle is rumoured to have been at The Mem, as if he was there looking at our players then the only one worth anything or any good is Will Hoskins, who unless you have a spare 1M to spend then you will be wasting your time. The rest of the squad apart from the loan signings are complete dogsh*t and only a fool would want to take them off our hands.

I am not giving it the billy big b*llocks at all, just telling you like it is. I have said we are sh*t and that we are nothing more than a small League 2 club at the moment but with the right manager, signing the right players, with a redeveloped Mem around the corner then Rovers will have the ingredients to improve considerably.

Whay are the cobblers fans so up there own arse?..Thats quite funny.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

The size of your club really does not matter no more, its how its run. Look at the sheff united and wednesday, your argyles ect. There big clubs and look at them struggling. Then you look at blackpool, hardly a massive club. I would say thats what we would be like if we went up a few divisions and there fighting in the prem. Yes i know there bigger than us now, but they wasnt that much bigger few years back. You could say the same about swansea but they have come along way since.

So can we cut this were bigger than you stuff out, just becaus eyour bigger doesnt mean your better.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

From various sources it would seem that it wouldn't take much of an improved offer from Ian Hayman to keep Buckle. I understand the need to keep finances under control, but maybe another £20K on his salary and a budget slightly improved on what is on offer might tempt him to stay. What concerns me is that if he left, what kind of side will we be putting out next season. Should he go, I can see a swift decline in the progress we've made over the last couple of seasons.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by BritishGAS »

Forevertufc

Trust me, you do not want Paul Trollope, He is the sole reason The Gas are where they are. He is clueless tactically, plays dire defensive football, and has signed god awful, pathetic players on 3 year contracts that we cannot get rid of. He had the chance to sign Simeon Jackson and Steve Morrison but chose to sign Jo Kuffour, Darryl Duffy and Andy Williams instead.

Although he did sign Will Hoskins on a free, the rest of the goons he signed are utter dross. He is a shocking manager and was made to look good in his 1st season because he had Lennie Lawrence holding his hand.
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

BritishGAS wrote:
1. Whether you like it or not, Rovers are a sleeping giant, we are a big city club,
2. Rovers should be in the Championship
3. yes at the moment we are a small league 2 club
4. 2 divisions below City
5 be honest with yourself Torquay will always be at this level, you are punching above your weight, but at Rovers their is potential to go places.
1. You're not a sleeping giant. Bradford city are sleeping giants. Your city is pretty big but it is shared by a club 3 times the size of yours.
2. Rovers are definately not a championship side, they belong somewhere between league 1 and league 2.
3. That's right, you are a small league 2 club, not "sleeping giants".
4. That's right you're 2 divisions below Bristol City and to everyone who doesn't support Bristol Rovers, that seems a reasonable gap. Your club is tiny compared to Bristol City, always has been always will be. Get over it.
5. Yes rovers are going places, it was confirmed on the 7th may. To your point that reads "be honest with yourselves Torquay will always be at this level", I'd like to bring back point '2.' These 2 points (2 and 5) show the naivety and hypocrisy of you gas heads clear as day. You come onto another teams message board and say how we should be honest with ourselves... after saying that Rovers should be in the championship !! :-/

In summary I'd like to just mention what I've highlighted in red. The reason you will never be a big club is there to see. Your club is tiny compared to city. They have a bigger ground than you (yes you might be getting a new one,but this is yet to be confirmed), they have a fan base 3 or 4 times bigger than yours and they have always enjoyed a lot more success than you. Like I said before, GET OVER IT and stop pretending.
Last edited by Parry on 12 May 2011, 11:56, edited 5 times in total.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Has anybody actually rung the club and asked them about these rumours?

I still believe that there is no way Bucks would be doing anything other than concentrating 100% on Saturday.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Brfclegendinho
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Matt Stevens

Post by Brfclegendinho »

Make the most of it! Next season it will be buckles blue and White army! I Look forward to the easy win and weekend away by the coast next year after the shrews hit you for 5 or 6. Even your manager knows you have no hope of going anywhere!
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by BritishGAS »

Parry why are you getting so emotional. I never slagged of Torquay, but you felt the need to come back with abitter and utterly rediculous post.

C*ty are not 3 times bigger than us, never have been and never will be, the fact that this is the 1st time that either club has been 2 divisions apart proves that, Man United, Sheff Wed, Forest, Stoke etc have all had far more superiority over there neighbours than C*ty will ever have over us.

With The mem being developed it should make Rovers a Championship Club, A city the size of Bristol should have 2 Chyampionship clubs, at the moment we are struggling but we shouldnt be thats all I am saying.

Bristol Rovers tiny to Bristol C*ty, dont make me laugh, yes they have made strides in the last 3-4 years granted but they have a hugely wealthy benefactor pumping millions into them, while Rovers have had to struggle finanacially over the last 25 years. Eastville was always a bigger ground than Ashron Gate and crowds were always at a similar level, sincethen we have had to play out in Bath and now a Rugby ground, but once The Mem gets redeveloped crowds will come back.`

Seriously trying to take the p*ss when you are small fish to the footballing power houses of Plymouth and Exeter.

Again C*ty get bigger crowds because they play in a 20k all seater stadium with a money bags benefactor, Rovers play in a sh*theap rugby ground, like I said when The Mem gets redeveloped it will be a different story.

Bristol C*ty went out of business in 1982 after finishing rock bottom of the football league and got bailed out, and the rest theys ay is history but to say they are 3-4 times bigger than Rovers is a joke.

Whats with the hostility? I was complimentary to Torquay but you have to be disflamatory and down right rude, and come out with such ludicrous bullsh*t.

It must be the sea air, or is it just hit home that it is becoming more and a more a reality that Mr Buckle is close to leaving you and joining "A small League 2 club"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Brfclegendinho wrote:Make the most of it! Next season it will be buckles blue and White army! I Look forward to the easy win and weekend away by the coast next year after the shrews hit you for 5 or 6. Even your manager knows you have no hope of going anywhere!

You - like your club - are a joke that everyone in football are currently laughing at!

It must really hurt that Bristol can only support one decent football club which you forever will live in the shadow of.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/