Martin Ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

To be fair, I'm just extremely glad it wasn't David Holdsworth.
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

People should engage brain before launching in to one. I've had plenty of messages from Orient fans telling me we have a good manager on board.

Forget the end of his time at Cambridge as their board had imploded - he's been setting up.a scouting network since and that we desperately need.

Let his signing, football and results do the talking first eh!
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

The decision's made, so let's welcome him and get behind him. I'm sure the board had its reasons for appointing him, even if they aren't readily apparent to us.
TUST member 203
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

NickGull wrote:To be fair, I'm just extremely glad it wasn't David Holdsworth.
True!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
cufcfan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by cufcfan »

oh dear, I feel sorry for your club now!

Martin Ling is a very good talker, and on paper makes very good signings. He did well at Orient in his first 2 seasons but it went to pot after that!

At cambridge we hoped he would bring some stability to our club, after all his resignation just 9 days in did bring about the fantastic movement of Rolls being shifted from our club! He made some very good signings, Brian Saah being one of his best.

However without his assistant from Orient he was utter tosh! He can't motivate a team, ever. Our performances in 2nd half of games under Ling were awful. His half-time talks must have been pretty poor as we always looked worse after halftime. Winning or not!

When things get bad for poor Martin, his attitude turns into a "i'm right, everyone else is wrong" attitude. Naisbitt (yes a bit of an idiot) was removed from the match-day squad as he voiced his opinion on a team performance while on the bench and from there he lost the dressing room and it went downhill quickly.

I don't think we beat any team in the top 10 under Ling! Then to add insult to injury we were being beaten 3-0 by teams like hayes and Yeading.

Every Orient fan that tells you Ling is a good manager is wrong. It was his ASSISTANT that was the good manager... and those saying Cambridge board has imploded is also wrong. Our board was very stable under Ling, much more stable than our 2 promotion chasing seasons. He also had a set budget that was in the top 8 for the first 2 seasons.

Hes an awful manager. Honestly!

I feel sorry for you guys, but at least now we won't have to pay him for the duration of his contract!
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

The Board don't communicate with the fans in any meaningful way, so the reasons wouldn't be apparent. I can only assume that it was pay.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Thanks for that, cufcfan, although that does seem to be very anti-Ling. I can see where you're coming from, I guess it's like how we'd feel if another English club appointed Lubos Kubik.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

SSN finally has it!

yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Interesting about his assistant as well, he's well and truely turned around Walsall.

Can't motivate a team? Bring back Hargreaves as assistant manager. I can't think of many people more capable of motivation than him.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

Re Cufc board I stand corrected but he definitely had his budget cut because I remember reading the story at the time.

Willing to give the guy a chance unlike most it seems, although reaction to Buckle appointment was similar and he did just fine.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

cufcfan wrote:
He made some very good signings, Brian Saah being one of his best.
This being Brian Saah who Ling had at Orient, then signed for Cambridge (under Ling) over us (apparantly), and is currently a free agent.

Half decent centre half incoming I think!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Haha, replacement for Branston then!
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

I don't advise reading through this as it will make you feel even more depressed:

http://cambridgeunitedfc.proboards.com/ ... 287&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Underwhelming and uninspiring appointment. Sacked by Cambridge and failed to get the Grimsby job. I'll still support him but he has a big job on his hands. If O'Kane and Zebs go then I really do fear for our future.
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

GUESS WHAT? None of the candidate's were perfect. There is absolutely no reason why he shouldn't do well for Torquay, so give the guy some support and his task will be a lot easier. I get the feeling the board see the club's future as a breeding ground for young talent and Mr. Ling would have some superb contacts (e.g Glenn Hoddle and his academy).
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Jeff wrote: This being Brian Saah who Ling had at Orient, then signed for Cambridge (under Ling) over us (apparantly), and is currently a free agent.

Half decent centre half incoming I think!
Saah still has another year on his contract with Cambridge - so a fee would be required. You are right though, it does sound as though he is a favourite of Ling's and I wouldn't be surprised if he made a move for him, but it all depends what sort of fee CUFC hold out for I imagine.

http://www.cambridge-united.co.uk/page/ ... 44,00.html