Torquay United v Accrington Stanley - 6/4/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not to much to say on the game really, how did Ellis miss, Jarvis should have scored, another ugly win, think with Martin Ling we have an advantage, as we know Lingy had 5 promotions as a player 1 as a manager, he seem's to know how to get a team across the winning line .

That said my feet are firmly on the ground, what will be, will be.
Formerly known as forevertufc
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

I absolutely love coming to home games, just wish I could do it more often!

Not much more to add that hasn't been said really. Real Jekyll and Hyde stuff from us. When we were good, we were excellent, but we had a few dreadful spells too. Some of our build up play in the first half was stunning, almost verging on champagne football at times, and with a bit more end product we could've had a few before half time - Nicho's awesome volley and a curling effort from Howe the closest we came.

As good as we were, Accrington were terrible. Time wasting from the first minute and absolutely no attacking intent - 10 men behind the ball. Would've been daylight robbery if they'd even got a point.

As the second half wore on the boys, and the fans, got more and more nervy, and after Mark Ellis somehow hit the bar following good work from Danny to draw the keeper out, it looked like it wouldn't be our day. Thankfully Rene came to the rescue. Jarvis, after doing well to win the ball back from the Accy defender trying to see it out, laid it into Rene's path on the right hand side of the box. He took a touch and curled a sumptuous effort into the top left hand corner. I don't know about anyone else but I went absolutely ballistic!

It could've been 2-0 when a ball got squared across the goal to Jarvis at the back post, but it bobbled nastily for him just before he hit it and it went over.

Full time and a brilliant result!

Few thoughts: first time I've seen the new stand - looks absolutely terrific! Great turnout from the Yellow Army, and a really good move giving us half the away end, certainly added to an excellent atmosphere.

Ref: Dreadful. Remember Keith Stroud being a clown when he reffed our cup ties against Birmingham all those years ago and he hasn't changed a bit. Buffoon.

Hopefully be at Oxford on Monday for another huge game!
tattooedjackass
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by tattooedjackass »

Although Ellis had the 2 misses i still think he played a great part and was so strong throughout the whole game, great win for Torquay! and a very happy fan here!
My Life To Live!
COYY
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I don't think Stanley have been given sufficient credit. Yes, we missed two sitters but only after some great play from them had presented them with at least two great chances to take the lead.

Apart from Mansell our midfield was very poor today, particularly Eunan for whom everything he tried seemed to go wrong. They'd done their homework and always double marked him. Morris to be fair tried really hard and although he lacked impact he did really well in the holding role when Lathrope went off. Stevens seemed to always be where the ball wasn't.

Howe was reliably robust and scored a great goal but Atieno looked so much faster and nimbler when he came on.

Jarvis did really well to create the chance for Howe but then missed an open goal much as Ellis had earlier.

Saah was excellent in defence, covering for the rather inconsistent Ellis.

LRT did really well when he came on too. Would like to see him given more play time.

Really pleased to see almost 4,000 gate but really expected a full house given the bank holiday and second place in the table.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

[youtube]9mg9vAPOHHs[/youtube]

Here's the video that I took today! :)
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

3797 is the biggest 'home attendance' of the season, beating 3124 on Boxing Day against Swindon. Only the Plymouth, Swindon and Bristol Rovers games have had higher total attendances, due to four figure away followings. A very good effort from our fans and some hope for next season.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Just under 4000 there, any idea how many away? I'd guess at 100-150, not a lot. Great move by the club giving us half the away, I doubt they'd have got everyone in else. Any chance we could have a bit of the away end for Southend too, or will they bring loads? Should be a sell out next week I'd imagine.
Tq2Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Post by Tq2Yellow »

All I can say is 'what a Good Friday'!
:keepie: :goal: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Tq2Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Post by Tq2Yellow »

Can I also say what a sensible approach by club and stewards to move the dividing line along as they realised more home support was coming in!
It's great to see common sense only spoilt by the bell end from our fans being ejected!
:keepie: :goal: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Another win ground out and games are running out. We have points on the board and i'd rather have that than games in hand so the table is looking very promising at this moment. A really big well done to Lingy, the lads and all the fans today, (sadly i couldn't afford to be there as i'm going Oxford on monday) this is the best season i can remember being a Gulls fan i reckon. A draw at Oxford for me would be a point gained but i won't be too disheartened with a defeat. A win would be unbelievable and may see us open up a bigger gap over Crawley. Shrews have gone 1-0 up but i feel them and Swindon are the best teams in the division along with ourselves and we just need to keep grinding out wins and keeping ahead of Crawley. Beating Crawley to an automatic spot would be our just desserts and a victory for honesty, decency and integrity in football over all that is cancerous about the game.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

A single goal by Rene Howe was enough for Torquay United to once again take all three points and in the process record their 11th one nil win of an unbelievable season, as well as a mightily impressive 18th clean sheet. Howe struck the only goal of the match in the 73rd minute of a tense encounter, as Accrington, with little to play for, proved to be a tough team to break down. As it transpired, at the same time Crawley Town dropped two points at home to Bradford City, meaning that Torquay's future is now completely in their own hands.

Torquay lined up in their favoured 4-5-1 formation, Rene Howe shrugging off injury doubts during the week to take his place as the figurehead of the attack, and Damon Lathrope also passing a late fitness turn to take his crucial position in the midfield. The only change from Friday's smash-and-grab affair at Barnet was Ian Morris coming back into the team on the right hand side at the expense of Ryan Jarvis, who dropped to the bench. Before the match Boss Martin Ling and Captain Lee Mansell were both handed their richly deserved player and manager of the month awards, another proud subplot in an amazing season.

Shooting towards the family stand in the first half, Torquay set their stall out to attack, and a lot of good work coming from Ian Morris down the right. No doubt spurred on by the desire to quieten the boo-boys who reared their ugly heads during the last home match, the Irishman displayed some delightful touches and was a constant threat. He registered the first shot on target of the match when he cut inside on to his favoured left foot and got his shot away, sadly it was straightforward for Dunbavin in the Accrington goal to gather.

The home side once again passed the ball around confidently, and with real purpose, getting in behind the Accrington defence at will, however, the final ball was often lacking as Torquay struggled to create any clear cut chances. Kevin Nicholson saw his beautifully controlled volley fly just wide of the post, and Eunan O'Kane scuffed well wide after some good work in the 18 yard box from Rene Howe as Torquay attempted to turn the screw. They had their best spell of the match in the 5 minutes before half time but could not force the breakthrough against what looked to be a very youthful and inexperienced Accrington back line.

'Stanley did not offer any substantial threat going forward, Ellis and Saah once again dominating the aerial battle, on the one or two occasions where a winger could whip a dangerous ball into the box, there were no forwards there to apply a finish. Torquay had the best of a hard-fought first half but were guilty of overplaying at times, on many occasions the simple ball was neglected for a failed 'world class' pass, or one too many defenders were took on when a simple pass would have been a better option. All of which led to a slightly nervy, slightly frustrated atmosphere at Half time.

Into the second half and Torquay continued to probe with purpose, this time finding joy down the left hand side. Kevin Nicholson continued his new-found advanced full back role, linking up well Danny Stevens and Eunan O'Kane to give the Accrington right-back a torrid time. Rene Howe often dropped deep, probably as his fitness dictated, to collect the long balls and link the play to good effect. However, once again, for all their possession and territory in the Accrington third, Torquay just couldn't quite make the killer pass.

As has so often been the case this season Torquay refused to panic when proceedings aren't going their way and continued to play their football in the belief they could create the one chance they need. That chance came with 25 minutes to go, some excellent work in the penalty box from Danny Stevens presented Mark Ellis with the chance to score into an apparent open net from 8 yards out, the popular centre-back lashed the ball goalwards but was horrified to see the ball cannon back off the crossbar, it looked easier to score, but instead of letting their heads drop, it appeared to galvanise the Yellow Army.

Ryan Jarvis was thrown on for Damon Lathrope and a quick reshuffle led to Ian Morris moving into a more central position so that the ex Norwich forward could play down the right. By this stage Accrington had laid down their marker that they were happy with a point, highlighted by a booking to Goalkeeper Ian Dunbavin for constant time wasting.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 73rd minute after some excellent work by Ryan Jarvis, the loanee busted a gut to chase the ball into the corner which many thought was harmlessly rolling out of play. Jarvis dispossessed the full-back and laid the ball back to Rene Howe. The big number 9 ran purposefully towards goal and a bit of luck left him with the chance to shoot on his left foot, his curling effort nestled into the top corner as Plainmoor erupted in the time-honoured tradition of hugs, high fives and yellow and blue joy. It was a finish of real class from a striker who had demonstrated throughout the match what a hand full he is when on form. His close control and link up play in and around the penalty box is a real asset to our team, serving perfectly the clever runs of those around him. His 14th goal of the season and his most important, but most crucially- a selfless team player- especially considering he wasn't fully fit today.

Ryan Jarvis missed a guilt-edged chance to make the game safe with 5 minutes to go following some excellent wing-play for Danny Stevens. The dangerous winger nutmegged his opponent and ran towards goal, his squared pass into the path of Jarvis bobbled somewhat misfortunately at the wrong moment resulting in a fairly ugly hack wide. He was nearly left to pay for his ill-luck when Accrington rallied in stoppage time sensing possible weakness in any nerves Torquay may have had. Olejnik made his first and only save of the afternoon in the last closing stages with a smart reaction save at his near post- once again making it look more easy than it actually was.

As the Yellow Army collectively held their breaths through these nail biting final moments, the referee finally blew his whistle after 6 added minutes as Torquay recorded their 12th home victory of the season. With Crawley dropping points it now means that there is daylight between the promotion candidates, even if Crawley win their game in hand they will not be able to catch Ling's men. Many have expected Torquay to slip up in recent weeks, but as this determined and resilient squad refuses to do so, the pressure has increased on the teams below them, and today the pressure told. The promotion pendulum has swung firmly in Torquay's favour today and if we keep on winning, we will get promoted.

At this stage of the season, the back end of a long and tiring campaign, performance levels are irrelevant, the only thing that matters is 3 more points being added to our tally at the end of each match. With little time to rest, Torquay travel to Oxford on Easter Monday and another tough match awaits- they are all tough at this stage of the season. Torquay will be hoping that Damon Lathrope and Rene Howe will be fit enough to start, both vital cogs in the well-oiled machine that is our team. We are a team that does not concede, that can see a game out professionally, and take the chances in front of goal when they come along, with only 5 games to go in this epic season, this is all the confidence we need to believe that promotion is within touching distance.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Northampton 2 Oxford 1. Four yellow cards and defender Duberry sent off for Oxford.

Oxford almost certainly beset by nerves. We have nothing to fear on Monday.
Bearne1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Zebra

Post by Bearne1 »

Just stumbled across this on Shrews forum......

Southends suspensions will affect their game at Torquay next week!!!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Five games left; we can win them all, Swindon will get nervous and drop points, and we can nick the League Two title..
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

gullsflyinghigh wrote:Just under 4000 there, any idea how many away? I'd guess at 100-150, not a lot. Great move by the club giving us half the away, I doubt they'd have got everyone in else. Any chance we could have a bit of the away end for Southend too, or will they bring loads? Should be a sell out next week I'd imagine.
137 Accrington Fans according to the OS.

Thought Accy were there ususal frustrating selfs trying to crowd us out at every attack we had and played on the counter. Didnt think it was going to be our day when Ellis missed the open goal but it happens. And Howe managed to find a bit of class and get us the vital win. Even more so with Crawley dropping points against Crewe.

Roll on Oxford for another tough away game.