Torquay United v Exeter City - 29/12/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I must be the only one who DOES see the logic of taking off a holding midfielder for a forward when you are chasing the game.

Obviously I'm not there so can't comment on who is playing well and who isn't, but this seems like a sensible change to me so lets not go mad over it.

With Marquis (and I assume Stockley as well?) injured, I don't see what else Knill could have done other than play Hawley. Benyon is not, has never been and never will be a target man/lone front man, but it seems like today he has become one just so some people can grind their axe over Knill.

EDIT - This was all written before we pull it back to 2-1
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:I'm not having a go at Knill just because we are losing but because we are 3 unbeaten , two wins admittedly not playing the best of football but we are starting to get something together and then he drops Chappell and starts Hawley? Ok so Chappell has not been his best and not scored for a while and he needs to take some responsibility for this but the alternative is Cameron. See my point? Commendable that Alan wants to change it around a bit but the player he brings in has to be able to offer us something.

Hawley who has scored just twice in 5 months give or take a few games out of the 11 is preferred to Benyon who not only offers a predatory instinct but runs the channels allowing midfielders to get forward in support which when you are playing with 5 across the middle like today I would have thought it would be a bonus. All Hawley does is play with his back to goal holding it up for who exactly?

This is a mess by Knill and totally unnecessary. It could stop us in our tracks and let the doubts creep back in for a massive game at Plymouth. I bet if we DO score today it will be Downes.
go on mate, slag someone else off!!!! quick!!!!!! :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Jeff wrote:I must be the only one who DOES see the logic of taking off a holding midfielder for a forward when you are chasing the game.

Obviously I'm not there so can't comment on who is playing well and who isn't, but this seems like a sensible change to me so lets not go mad over it.

With Marquis (and I assume Stockley as well?) injured, I don't see what else Knill could have done other than play Hawley. Benyon is not, has never been and never will be a target man/lone front man, but it seems like today he has become one just so some people can grind their axe over Knill.

i agree with you Jeff.

and at least hes done it with more than 5mins remaining.............
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025

TUST Member 468

bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

stanley pegged back
still keeping the faith
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

southend level at accres and york now 1-2 at bury

TUST Member 468

bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

had a quid at 100/1 on gulls win!

they've got another man down and all their subs used up
come on torquay, gotta throw everything at them
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

1-3 now
still keeping the faith
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

bo**ocks.
again. :@

TUST Member 468

njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
i agree with you Jeff.

and at least hes done it with more than 5mins remaining.............
If you're going to take off a midfielder McCourt is NOT the one. But you-know-who is apparently untouchable...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Jeff wrote:I must be the only one who DOES see the logic of taking off a holding midfielder for a forward when you are chasing the game.

Proof of this Jeff please.

I don't grind my axe, I say it as I see it as my opinion but if you think I'm somehow looking for an excuse to have a go at Knill why would I need one?

I've no probs with him taking off McCourt for Benyon so shall I make something up so it says that I have because I want to have a go at Knill then?
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

Not to restart the why is O'Connor starting over Pearce debate but it seems O'Connor has been quite terrible today...
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Well well done Alan, haven't felt like this since we last lost to Exeter in the play off semi's. Starting to hope we get thrashed now to speed the departure of this clueless idiot.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Well well done Alan, haven't felt like this since we last lost to Exeter in the play off semi's. Starting to hope we get thrashed now to speed the departure of this clueless idiot.
Yes, If Exeter had scored 5 they would have had to sack him after the game, but now we must wait until after the Argyle game, I guess. :@ :@
Last edited by wodger of awabia on 29 Dec 2013, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

njgull wrote:
How do you know how McCourt is playing today? Are you sure he didn't deserve to be subbed.

Whilst I am a bit staggered at the team selection today, maybe Knill did it as he felt some needed a rest?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

AustrianAndyGull wrote: Proof of this Jeff please.

I don't grind my axe, I say it as I see it as my opinion but if you think I'm somehow looking for an excuse to have a go at Knill why would I need one?

I've no probs with him taking off McCourt for Benyon so shall I make something up so it says that I have because I want to have a go at Knill then?
Go back to page 6, and you'll see you criticise Knill for replacing Marquis with Hawley and not Benyon and just "seeing what happens". Benyon has never been a lone striker, he needs to play off someone so he can run onto flick-ons. Criticism of that move for me is criticism for the sake of it in my eyes and dilutes the argument of those who are vociferously anti-Knill. I can perfectly imagine that if we had started with Benyon today, someone on here (not necessarily yourself) would have slated Knill for picking him for the exact reason I've stated above.

I'm not pro-Knill by any means, but sometimes you just have to look at the players he had available today. Bringing Cameron in for Chappell I don't understand (unless Chappell was fatigued or carrying a knock), but without changing formation - which had us unbeaten for 3 games - Hawley up front was the only option we had available.