Contract renewals and extensions

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

tommyg wrote:I actually hope Mansell stays and will be surprised if he's not offered a new deal given he's been an ever-present in our team when fit. Say what you like about him but our last three managers have always picked him despite other options in midfield. Hargreaves probably sees a bit of himself in him and we'll need his experience and leadership qualities next season, especially as we're likely to blood more youngsters. I've been impressed with his last few performances, although obviously he's had a disappointing season overall. I'd imagine a few Football League teams and just about every Conference club would be keen on his services should he be available on a free.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Jeff wrote:On a different note, what sort of player might we bring in? Forest Green have released some regulars:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27197854

Forest Green rejects I hear you cry?! Some of those names (Hodgkiss, Asafu-adaje, Styche) are regular, top half conference performers. If these were the sort of names we went for, it would suggest to me that we are building a solid mid-table side - which wouldn't be a bad starting point.
Saw that just now too, couple of good names on it.

Walker was the one that caught the eye to be honest - proven goalscorer at that level but failed in League 2, would be a bit like our signing of Sills.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

Following on from Brucies post which I mostly agree with. However
We'll need 3 expereinced CBs so still think we should offer Downes.
Like Lathrope - he's mostly been in Hargreaves teams and his absence has mostly coincided with defeats.
Poke - if proven recovered from injury could offer a pay as you play deal.
I've also looked at Mozika's results and his spell did coincide with a modest upturn in the Knill era.

Of the loanees Cargill, Coulthirst, Goodwin and O'Connor - its got to be worth enquiring that we can have them again.

Lastly, we won't keep all we want but if CH works a miracle we'll have a better basis of a squad than Buckle had to start with all those years ago.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Wish we never let Angus McDonald go, had a good season at Salisbury

On a note about FGR shame we didn't stay up might have got Klukowski and Turley who want to play in the league
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

ferrarilover wrote:

Matt.
I thought it was because of bad refereeing decisions, rotten luck, biased BBC reports and not having Reuben Reid up front?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Mcdonald isn't good enough - thats why he is playing for Salisbury. Lets be realistic we are a bigger club than the likes of Forest Green Rovers or Salisbury. After the statement of intent from our board I don't honestly see us scrabbling around trying to sign players not wanted by FGR.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

tommyg wrote: I thought it was because of bad refereeing decisions, rotten luck, biased BBC reports and not having Reuben Reid up front?
At least have the decency to invent your own nonsense rather than copying someone else's.

Matt.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Gullscorer wrote:Is there a copyright on nonsense..?? :)
You'd be a rich man if there were. :na:

Matt.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Jeff wrote:On a different note, what sort of player might we bring in? Forest Green have released some regulars:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27197854

Forest Green rejects I hear you cry?! Some of those names (Hodgkiss, Asafu-adaje, Styche) are regular, top half conference performers. If these were the sort of names we went for, it would suggest to me that we are building a solid mid-table side - which wouldn't be a bad starting point.
These are the types of players we snapped up early last time and formed the basis of the promotion side. Luke Graham at Hereford is another one out of contract that the top non-league sides will be sniffing around. I hope we have the contacts and scouting in place to be in the hunt for these players.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Reading the Herald today and a couple of things I noticed that caught my attention. Firstly, under the list of "players under contract" they include Nathan Craig which is surely incorrect? I'm fairly certain that he signed a 2 year deal back in 2012 and likewise I'm fairly certain that that has never been extended. Secondly, I had forgotten that Shaun "sick note" Cooper actually signed an 18 month deal with us back in January although it did only contain an "option" to extend his initial 6 month deal by a further 12 months if (presumably) he chose to exercise it.

I'm never quite sure how these "options" work and whether the option is exercisable by the player, the club or indeed both need to agree to such an option as this i.e to extend the contract for another 12 months.

I would imagine that when he agreed the terms Cooper felt it was pretty unlikely that he would take the option up in the event that we were relegated, which in turn would also probably activate a 20 % drop in wages and that he would quite simply find another League club prepared to pay him what he feels he is worth. However, given his appalling record with injuries over the last couple of years (not just since he signed for us!) I would imagine he might find it very difficult to find anyone who would offer him a permanent deal right now. That's not to say that there might not be clubs interested in trialling him in pre season on a "prove yourself" basis but the risk with that is what happens if he breaks down again and/or fails to earn a contract elsewhere. For this reason, I think there is a very real possibility that if it is purely the decision of the player whether or not to take up this option then in his current situation (injured again!) I think he would be mad not to ... given that it guarantees him another year.

What little I have seen of him ( he did play once for us in a PSF under Knill if you recall!) he is a quality player and certainly would be a "cut above" at Conference level and his versatility (he can play in several positions) could also be invaluable in a small squad. Not only that but he was an excellent servant to Bournemouth in his time there and you don't play as many games as he has for a side like that and at the level he has played at to become a bad player overnight.

I guess we will find out soon enough, whether he is staying or going, but while his injury situation has been wholly frustrating for all concerned at TUFC and must also have been a huge drain on the budget Greavsie was given when he was appointed, particularly frustrating given that he/we got absolutely nothing in return for it, there is no doubt that a fit Shaun Cooper would be a great asset next season for us in the Conference IF he can regain his fitness ... that is of course a VERY big IF!!!!!!!