Torquay United set for a take over ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The outcome I foresee is a major downsizing so as to reasonably compete at local district/regional level with a squad of amateur non contract triers. In effect, that has been the reality for some time. What makes me piss blood and steam is some useless relegation virus carriers are being paid(grossly overpaid)!!!

:@
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Trojan 67 wrote:The outcome I foresee is a major downsizing so as to reasonably compete at local district/regional level with a squad of amateur non contract triers. In effect, that has been the reality for some time. What makes me piss blood and steam is some useless relegation virus carriers are being paid(grossly overpaid)!!!

:@

Ive been cheesed off about this for months! Its not as if they are any good either, that's the real pisser!!
TUST MEMBER
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

But us fans should also realise we should not put unrealistic pressure on the board to sign another and another then another player WHEN the real fact is we cannot afford to. Something I have never done! Because the money has to come from somewhere, either bigger attendances, borrowed from the bank or A VERY VERY wealthy benefactor.

The argument is always, "invest" and get results and the attendances will follow. Unfortunately INVESTING as its so called IS NO guarantee of success so if it fails your club is in financial peril. AS WE ARE NOW!

Live within your means, if that means you find a level which is lower historically than your used to, so be it in my books.
TUST MEMBER
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

I was going to post and tell a few truths but I can't be bothered with it I'm so angry as what is going on with our club
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

awww, go on supergulls; otherwise we're going to have to speculate even more ! Awful lot of 'spinning' going on at the moment !
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Boy after this week do we need to win tomorrow or at the very least not lose.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Neal wrote:Live within your means, if that means you find a level which is lower historically than your used to, so be it in my books.
Yes, speculate to accumulate is a load of rubbish. Find talent, nurture it, sell it - having a productive youth set up or finding non league diamonds in the rough is the best way for us to have a sustainable club.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

RussianGull wrote: Yes, speculate to accumulate is a load of rubbish. Find talent, nurture it, sell it - having a productive youth set up or finding non league diamonds in the rough is the best way for us to have a sustainable club.
yeah - that's worked.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

It's not worked for us yet but it's worked for plenty of others.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

RussianGull wrote:It's not worked for us yet but it's worked for plenty of others.
its to late for that now.

we don't have the time or the money.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

What was always going to be the case was that we were lumbered with half a dozen overpaid useless crap parasites who knew that they would be on their bikes at the end of the season and clearly don't give a toss.
Just one example - when Daniel Leadbitter made his debut at home he ended up being applauded off the pitch. A young full back who could motor up and down the pitch all day.
The sum total of that was that he was fecked off by Knill who then bought in his mate Tonge who was probably on four times the money that Leadbitter was on (yet was four times slower).
What a complete and utter farce - its no wonder we have ended up at shot creek.
Thea Bristow bless her openly admits that she doesn't know what she is doing so despite her money why is she the chairperson.
What happened to all the other directors who were there to guide her? - all bailed out and buggered off. Totally depressed by the state of our club to be honest.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Neal wrote:Live within your means, if that means you find a level which is lower historically than your used to, so be it in my books.
This is a very noble sentiment Neal, personally I would never withdraw my support for the club I would go and see games if we were in the Southern premier league, but I will not accept our current situation, nor should anyone else connected with the club. If we're all going to shrug are shoulders and say 'oh well, this is our level now' How long before the club genuinely does slip into the Conference South, and what will we say then.

Yes live within your means agreed, it isn't always about investing, every club does have to do that to an extent to evolve, it's about doing the best you can with what do have, and something our football club hasn't done for some time, before Alan Knill arrived I might add.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Speculate to accumulate isn't rubbish at all, evidence for that two clubs that were relegated out of the football league long before our clubs was, Shrewsbury Town, a club that doubled it's average gates after building a new stadium and look set for a swift return to league 1, and another prime example is Doncaster Rovers who've been a Championship/League 1 yoyo club recently, after going out of the football league virtually bust.

Think our club missed a trick after ML brought in £650k in transfer fee's, yes books did need balancing but the failure to re-invest any of that in the team started the rot. But I do agree with both SNW and Russian, yes, it is to late, and the position the club finds itself in today, bringing through young players and spotting rough diamonds is pretty much our only way forward without significant new investment.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

brucie wrote:What was always going to be the case was that we were lumbered with half a dozen overpaid useless crap parasites who knew that they would be on their bikes at the end of the season and clearly don't give a toss.
Just one example - when Daniel Leadbitter made his debut at home he ended up being applauded off the pitch. A young full back who could motor up and down the pitch all day.
The sum total of that was that he was fecked off by Knill who then bought in his mate Tonge who was probably on four times the money that Leadbitter was on (yet was four times slower).
What a complete and utter farce - its no wonder we have ended up at shot creek.
Thea Bristow bless her openly admits that she doesn't know what she is doing so despite her money why is she the chairperson.
What happened to all the other directors who were there to guide her? - all bailed out and buggered off. Totally depressed by the state of our club to be honest.
Totally agree Bruce!!!

No just because you live within your means does not mean you have no ambition. What it means is that the challenge is harder. I personally have always liked hard challenges. If you do succeed its so much more rewarding. I could play chess against my son when he was 5 and beat him easily every time, heh jump up and down, rub it in etc etc. Playing him now his 26, ah, now much harder, infact probably will never beat him again. BUT if I do, it will be a great feeling.

The journey from the bottom upwards would be great, ask the fans of AFCW, I bet they feel a real achievement.

Picking up on Bruces point. Yes, What happened to the other directors, were they not supportive? Even if they could not help financially. I don't know how wealthy they are but you would think at least one would have stepped up and supported Thea similar to what this guy is doing, seems odd to me!

If I had been one of those directors and Thea came to me and said she was struggling, I would say ok Im not in a position to help financially but lets get together and sort this all out, discuss every part of the club with nothing excluded. I will take over all media if you like etc etc. I just don't understand why that hasn't happened UNLESS there has been a big fallout.
TUST MEMBER
4everyellow
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by 4everyellow »

Fair enough about staying within your means but what pisses me off is that there are at least 2 board members worth more than Thea. They have put next to nothing into the club and seem happy to let the club go down the drain when they could easily afford to help sustain it through this period.