Ajala

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Very good news - a desperately needed signing on the wing. After Young, he was our best player last season and is match fit. A few more like him and we'll stand half a chance.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Quality signing, Hopefully more to come.. Welcome back Toby!
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Somebody should have told him to smile in the photo on twitter.Is he not happy to be back??
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

I don't know... there's the beginnings of a smirk there! Better than when Lennon signed for the Toffees.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Very pleased. One of my favourite players with a great engine.

I think it is obvious why he has come back. He felt appreciated here and enjoyed his football at Plainmoor.

I hope Toby plays an important role in somehow getting us on a winning run and retaining our National League status.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

This is a good start to improving the squad plus Verma's loan extended to the end of the season. Let's hope these two will be followed by others during the week.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Had to say I was skeptical about this happening but now its confirmed im delighted, great player, its not worked out for him at Dover so heres hoping hes back to impress.

Importantly Verma has been extended till the end of the season - also good news!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Verma needs to be signed permanently he's a good player.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

If Ajala can improve his crossing, he'll be a very useful addition. I like what I've seen of Verma.

In short, Nicho has brought in 2 players who are better than the likes of Shepherd (sorry) and Hesflop - Paul Cox's signings. Does this give Nicho's esteem a bit of a boost in the eyes of those of us doubting Thomases (including me)? And it may bode well for more signings to come .........

Added in 1 minute 26 seconds:
arcadia wrote:Verma needs to be signed permanently he's a good player.
What is a "permanent signing" these days????
TUST member 200 ;-)
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

With this signing it may be easier for Nicho to "bench himself" and play Butler on left back. Richards and Verma in central midfield. But if Ajala is to play on the right we are back to Nicho in defense :)
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

rickl wrote:With this signing it may be easier for Nicho to "bench himself" and play Butler on left back. Richards and Verma in central midfield. But if Ajala is to play on the right we are back to Nicho in defense :)
Butts seems to bring less to the party going forward now he plays in midfield than he did when he played at left back.

We need a defensive midfielder, in my book. If the club isn't completely insane, the very next call they'll be making is to Aldershot to enquire as to the availability of Damon Lathrope.

You can win games one of two ways, 6-5 or 1-0. Martin Ling knew the value of the 'nil' half of that second equation. We have a reasonable goalkeeper for the first time since Bobby. In Butts - Smith - Mac - Berry, we have the best defence we've had since Nico - Ellis - Robbo - LRT. Add Damon Lathrope to that and include Richards in midfield and we have 7 players on the pitch who are dedicated primarily to preventing the opposition from scoring. Just as we did under Martin Ling in L2 when we can a whisker away from promotion to L1. All we're asking this lot to do is not get relegated to the place some three divisions below that.
I know he's not fit, but with Young in the side, we have Eunan's replacement. With Waide Fairhurst in the side, we have our Rene Howe.

So, to replicate:

Bobby

Nico-Ellis-Robbo-LRT

Lathrope

Bodin - Manse - Eunan - Danny ****' Stevens

Howe

We have:

Lavercombe

Butts - Smith - Mac - Berry

Lathrope

Ajala - Young - Richards - Daniel

Fairhurst

Young and Fairhurst will have to be replaced in real life by Verma and Marsh or the West Brom lad, which I will concede makes us weaker, but come on, is that side really going to get relegated from a division featuring Guisely and Braintree **** Town?

We're going up, lads.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Yellow-Collins
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellow-Collins »

ferrarilover wrote: We have a reasonable goalkeeper for the first time since Bobby. In Butts - Smith - Mac - Berry, we have the best defence we've had since Nico - Ellis - Robbo - LRT.

Matt.
On paper, I'd agree with you, but our defensive record this season is terrible. That said, if we can be more offensive, it may take the pressure off the defence - could still do with a leader in there though ('Downes-esque'). Lathrope is a quality player and did well for us, but would he come back here? Courtney Richards playing in defensive midfield against Forrest Green and Cheltenham was excellent, so hopefully we'll look for an attacking midfielder. Someone who can create and score from midfield. And a striker who can hold the ball up and to push us up the pitch.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

"This season", as far as I am concerned, is not a concept upon which we should hang our hats. We must think of the season as pre- and post- FGR on Boxing Day. Before that game, we gave away freebies like a crack dealer outside a school, but since then, we've been very good defensively and it's only been bullshit goals which have found their way in.

Ordinarily, I follow your "attack is the best form of defence" line. Unfortunately for us, strikers are MUCH more expensive than defenders and since we've got no money we're going to have to stretch the budget as far as it will go and if that means Damon Lathrope and a shed load of one-nils instead of three grand a week for Constable, then so be it.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ferrarilover wrote:"This season", as far as I am concerned, is not a concept upon which we should hang our hats. We must think of the season as pre- and post- FGR on Boxing Day. Before that game, we gave away freebies like a crack dealer outside a school, but since then, we've been very good defensively and it's only been bullshit goals which have found their way in.

Ordinarily, I follow your "attack is the best form of defence" line. Unfortunately for us, strikers are MUCH more expensive than defenders and since we've got no money we're going to have to stretch the budget as far as it will go and if that means Damon Lathrope and a shed load of one-nils instead of three grand a week for Constable, then so be it.

Matt.

:goodpost:
http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 84634.aspx
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35163006
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Is Toby 'trophy' tied or able to play against Wrexham?