Appeal?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Appeal?

Post by Gulliball »

Anyone know if we're planning to appeal the point we've been deducted? Or why we haven't done it already?

We have nothing to lose, and given that we're the first side ever to lose 'clean' points, we must surely have a great case for an appeal.

The point is absolutely huge to our play-off chances. With it, we can draw and overtake Stevenage and Gillingham if they lose, so in theory can go back into the play-offs with just 1 point from the last two games. Without that point, we have to win an extra game over the sides above us to overtake them.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Yes. We should appeal. Echo your thoughts completely.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Sadly I don't think there would be any point (no pun intended!) in appealing. I cannot believe that the Football League would overturn the decision as it could have a massive effect on another club - the "safer" option for them is to leave things as they are. I doubt any appeal would be heard now until after the final day of the season - let's face it, it took them months to arrange the first one didn't it and by that time the Play Off positions will have been decided. If we should miss out by the one point, a possibility that is loking increasingly likely, then there is no way that the FL would have the courage to overturn that decision and deny the club in seventh place their play off spot, quite simply they wouldn't have the guts and wouldn't want to face potential legal action by the disappointed club.

I just hope that if we do finish 8th (Rotherham and Port Vale are out of it now) that we miss out by more than the one point that we have (unfairly in my opinion) been deducted.

As for the football club, I think it is poor on their part that they haven't already communicated how they intend to proceed as they have (presumably) have had plenty of time to consider the reasons giveb by the appeal panel for their (ridiculous) decision.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

They have so many days to appeal so I don't think it poor at all that nothing has been said. I don't think we should appeal but maybe they are waiting to see how far outside the play-offs we are before making any decision.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I think we should give it a go but If it fails we only have ourselves to blame for the error- if we was to lose out by just a point that would be a devastation.
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular

Why would we not? Surely theres nothing to lose?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

There is absolutely no chance of us appealing.

Wrong decision IMO but there won't be any appeal.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular

The deduction was completely unfair. We lost a point we never had.

It amazes me that people think we don't have a case.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

gullsflyinghigh wrote:The deduction was completely unfair. We lost a point we never had.

It amazes me that people think we don't have a case.

It amazes me that people still can't see the difference between our case and that of Hereford.

They weren't there for the third time in recent history, WE were. The punishment is only unfair in the context of one transgression in one game, that isn't the situation in our case.
Dave

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Spoke to a member of the clubs coaching staff a few days ago,i asked him directly if the club were going to appeal,his answer was ,in his opinion the club can not appeal so from that i would not expect any appeal.

Dave SG has called this right,the one thing that has not been made public so far,is the reason behind the decision to dock our club one point, if it turns out the point has been docked for a tot up of offences and as we all know our club does have previous,then i would say there is no case for us to appeal on.

As it stands at the moment we are going to miss out on the play-offs by one point,to look at it from the point of view that we are missing out because of the docked point in my opinion is totaly the wrong way of looking at it.

2.0 up away at Cheltenham with 9 minutes to go,end result 2.2,1.0 up at Morecambe in injury time,two pens later,0 points gained,etc,etc the list is endless of games we should have drawn or won and did not,not to mention struck the woodwork 26 times,we can not blame being in 8th just on the docked point.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

Time for closure on this one now, I feel. From what SG says above, the process sounds fairer than I had thought: the FL will have informed the Club that we have been docked one point as a result of repeated administrative incompetence. We still have time to put this behind us, beat Chesterfield and Rotherham and go up. What a season this has been and still is!! COYY, let's do it!!!
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

Spot on forevertufc - our failure to close out games from winning positions has cost us far more than any disciplinary panel. Let's focus on matters on the pitch and get it done there.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

forevertufc wrote:as we all know our club does have previous
So people keep saying. Any chance of someone "in the know" letting us know what our "previous" is? I can't recall anything being made public about earlier offences, so just what exactly were they?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Jerry, IIRC they relate to the transfer paperwork for Jake Thomson and Michael Poke. The exact nature of the offence escapes me as it was quite a while ago but I'm pretty confident it concerns those two players.
Dave

Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Thanks Dave.

I would assume that the club have been made aware of the reasons for our "extra" punishment and therefore are accepting of our fate. Whilst extra points being deducted might not now affect us, I would imagine they are wary of a heavily increased fine should we lose such an appeal.