Are some Referees Corrupt?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Are some Referees Corrupt?

Post by portugull »

I have watched Pro Football for 67 years.

I have thought very carefully about what I am going to say. Yesterdays Match was televised Live by BT Sport and Mr Mather the Referee from Yorkshire I believe

disallowed not ONE but TWO perfectly good goals by Kyle Cameron. The second one convinced me that something very sinister was happening.

Had the Referee been bought? It does not matter who you talk to EVERYONE including the Pundits on BT Sport thought the decisions were wrong.

I believe the Winning Team yesterday will receive £2 million pounds for Promotion back to the EFL. I may be wrong on this point but a lot of money is involved.

What will the Referees Assessor make of his performance?

Connor Lemonheigh Evans was brought down No Penalty. A very similar foul when we played at Stockport recently and a pen was given.

The foul on Moxhey was a straight Red. Not given.

At least 5 times our Players nearly had their shirts ripped off. Mr Mather ignored them all.

Was this Referee bribed? I do not know but it looks very very suspicious to me.

I would like to see a full Enquiry into this Referee and I hope we NEVER have to suffer him again. Disgraceful sums it up.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

No, they're not corrupt.

Just inept.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

I sincerely believe that some r corrupt and i would not be surprised if mather was the most corrupt of them all after yesterday's display.ive read that he is now being promoted to the EFL next season, I think there should be a full investigation into him before he ever referees a match.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I don't think the referee was bent simply because if he wanted to fix the game he would surely have been more subtle. Disallowing what appeared to be two perfectly good goals is simply too obvious if he was bent.
I think it was sheer ineptitude on a grand scale.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I have total respect for you Portugull however certainly think, or even strongly advise some of the content of this thread/replies needs editing, sorry but we can not go around putting forward a suggestion in our sentiment, or directly accusing referees of being corrupt.

It has to remembered those who referee at the highest level of football can make match effecting decisions, in the most important games safe in the knowledge there's a VAR that's going to check those decisions and correct any mistakes, referees at our level do not have that benefit and must rely on their instinct , that's not always going to lead to a correct decision.

Teams over the course of season will both benefit from wrong decisions and be the victims of wrong decisions, I was at the game yesterday, but not at the semi final v Notts County a game I watched on BT sport, in terms a bad decisions the play-offs was a tale of two games.

Us Gulls fans have to remember our first goal against Notts County had VAR been in operation could well have been disallowed, and the extra time penalty awarded to us which secured our path into the final, would 100% been over turned as it never was penalty. This is the thing with as football fans we're quite happy to accept inept refereeing when it's in our favour.

I firmly believe the referee made those decisions in good faith, sadly for us the one game we needed a few bad decisions to go our way, it went against us, 24 hours later it still hurts, but I don't regret going.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its quite unbelievable that this referee has been promoted to the football league.

We have to remember that the referee makes the decisions in real time without the benefit of action replays etc etc - however given that, its even harder to see how he disallowed the first header by Cameron. It seems impossible that from his positioning in real time he could have spotted any perceived infringement by Lewis - I still don't accept he disallowed for that reason. 99/100 times that goal would have been given.

The second one is equally abyssmal - its blatantly a legimate goal. There wasn't the slightest protest from any Hartlepool player either time which tells its own story.

I think that Portugull makes an excellent point about the shirt pulling. There looked to be a blatant penalty on Wright early in the game when their player practically ripped the front of his shirt off. The foul on Moxey was also a blatant red card.

To me the two disallowed goals were not comparable with the Ellis penalty in the semi final. Much was made of Ellis getting his foot on the ball but watch it closely and Ellis makes contact with Evans knee before he gets the ball so in my view it was a definate penalty.

Whilst I do hate VAR there was a seasons work, millions of pounds, players and staff's futures on the lines. Not to have VAR was criminal really.

The problem is that far from being sanctioned this referee will no doubt be dining out on the notoriety he caused because that's what they are like. He will probably know that he got the key decisions wrong but won't give a flying **** basically.

I'm not surprised that someone has the asked the question and whilst I would fall short of saying he was corrupt, he missed or chose to ignore a hell of a lot. I do think his decisions to chalk off both goals was not consistant with how he chose to referee the rest of the match ie the shirt pulling, elbows etc - it was a totally disgraceful performance from him that's for sure.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

brucie wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 23:22 Its quite unbelievable that this referee has been promoted to the football league.
I'm wondering if the referee was simply over awed by the occasion, in which case means he is totally unsuitable for promotion.
Referees who have made bad decisions in the past have been sanctioned, usually being suspended for set periods. I hope the club make a formal complaint about the refereeing on Sunday and the referee is punished in some form.
North Curry House
Skipper
Skipper

Post by North Curry House »

The two disallowed goals were both awful decisions. That combined with other key moments led to an overall sub standard performance. This referee was the top marked in this League over the season. It was his first at this level but he had been at the lower level (Taunton level) for FIFTEEN years.

Which tells you, he is s slow learner despite appearing to do well this season. A leopard does not change his spots!!

He has been promoted (unlike us), so yes he does not not give a f*** about getting things wrong. He would have been assessed but, the observer would only be able to "advise" and comment on application of law. Observers do not criticise decisions but may say "If you adopted a wider position, you would have a better view". They would NEVER say you got it wrong.

In short, NOTHING is going to happen to the referee, no inquiry, sanction, just maybe a poor assessment but that means nothing. He will not be at Plainmoor next season but may be at Exeter at some point.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

His lack of consistency was glaring. Ignoring blatant shirt pulling and fouls outside the box , missing the offence where Evans was taken out on the touchline, yet seeing two supposed offences that nobody else in the stadium saw including most pointedly the Hartlepool players , management and fans. The opposition always appeal for everything. He also displayed a rather arrogant manner throughout the game. Can't believe he failed to make Andrews leave the pitch , I don't think I've ever seen a player receive stitches on the field. The best referees you never notice or talk about - everyone certainly noticed him.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

forevertufc wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 20:57 I have total respect for you Portugull however certainly think, or even strongly advise some of the content of this thread/replies needs editing, sorry but we can not go around putting forward a suggestion in our sentiment, or directly accusing referees of being corrupt.

It has to remembered those who referee at the highest level of football can make match effecting decisions, in the most important games safe in the knowledge there's a VAR that's going to check those decisions and correct any mistakes, referees at our level do not have that benefit and must rely on their instinct , that's not always going to lead to a correct decision.

Teams over the course of season will both benefit from wrong decisions and be the victims of wrong decisions, I was at the game yesterday, but not at the semi final v Notts County a game I watched on BT sport, in terms a bad decisions the play-offs was a tale of two games.

Us Gulls fans have to remember our first goal against Notts County had VAR been in operation could well have been disallowed, and the extra time penalty awarded to us which secured our path into the final, would 100% been over turned as it never was penalty. This is the thing with as football fans we're quite happy to accept inept refereeing when it's in our favour.

I firmly believe the referee made those decisions in good faith, sadly for us the one game we needed a few bad decisions to go our way, it went against us, 24 hours later it still hurts, but I don't regret going.
:goodpost:
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

He was poor, very poor, made decisions in good faith? Maybe maybe not certainly disallowed both our goals instantly and with a certain amount of gusto and hesitated to give our equaliser.

Move on though, it’s gone, it hurts but we didn’t lose promotion there we lost it throughout the season.

It’s only a few weeks until we start again
COYY
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Well we lost promotion twice really , through January - March and again on Sunday both through no fault of our own in my opinion. (injuries and a man in black) Imagine if he had disallowed Covolans equaliser, I bet he was itching to, he clearly wanted to be the centre of attention.I don't think he would have got out of the stadium alive.
Got to let it go I guess, but can't help thinking about those two Cameron goals and replaying them , I just get angrier every time so not doing me any good. After a whole season of hard work by everyone at the club that bloke has played a big part in costing us promotion and a million quid.
Ok you can't be certain but if we had gone 1-0 up or equalized earlier our chances would have had a massive boost. Forgot to mention how he did nothing about the blatant time wasting never booked anyone for it so they, particularly Sterry with throw ins just kept on doing it.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Modgull »

No - we lost because we were worse at taking penalties! Covalan gave us two chances to win but we threw both away.
Phil

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We most definitely lost because the referee failed to do his job properly.

Penalties had little to do with it. Wright and Buse's penalties might not have been the best but on another day one or both might have ended in the net Had Waters not slipped he would have definitely scored.

That's just fine margins. The more you look at the disallowed goals the worse they actually look.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Modgull »

brucie wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 13:25 We most definitely lost because the referee failed to do his job properly.

Penalties had little to do with it. Wright and Buse's penalties might not have been the best but on another day one or both might have ended in the net Had Waters not slipped he would have definitely scored.

That's just fine margins. The more you look at the disallowed goals the worse they actually look.
Come on Terry, you know that going back to the disallowed goals just doesn't work - the path of the game would have been altered and who's to say that Hartlepool would not have come out and beaten us in normal time. No, the pens did for us because we had the advantage twice and blew it. As for saying that Waters would definitely have scored had he not slipped - its the same as saying Wright and Buse would have scored if the regulation height for a goal was 6 inches higher! All three penalties were poor whereas the missed Hartlepool penalties were at least on target.
Phil