stewards

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullsonmyroof2
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: branston

stewards

Post by gullsonmyroof2 »

No disrespect to the guys,know at times the job can be challenging but the problems you caused in the family stand were crazy,group of 8 friends went to the game after watching the cup final,popped into boots and laces for a quick pint before game.were told by a couple of fans best if go and get tickets from office even though could pay at turnstile.so one of the guys went to the office and asked for 8 tickets for the pop please.When we got to the turnstile the steward told us that 1 ticket was for the pop and 7 were for the ENCLOSER,and go back to the office to sort out.The office said go in the family stand,then up to where the players come out and talk to a steward.the steward said go to seats next to pop and see steward.Tried to explain to the guy what had happend but not very helpfull .Another steward said go to reception and sort out.One of the guys who has just come out of hospital said he didnt feel to good so sat on the seat near to the gate and 2 of his mates looked after him while the rest of the lands went for encloser transfer sticker. When they got back with the stickers,could only get 1 each and none for there poorly mate or his 2 friends looking after him.Then were told reception closed and were not allowed in pop.The hassle of it all made there ill friend to nearly pass out,and had to have assistance from medicle team.Understandable this caused the lads to loose there cool, a bit of argueing. All they wanted to do was go and watch a football match in the pop with there mates and cheer the gulls on.After about an other 20 mins there mate was feeling a lot better and was allowed in the pop while 2 of the lads had to sit down.Eventually one steward saw common sense and finally let the other 2 into the pop. AT LEAST THE GULLS WON :scarf: what a day :lol:
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I don't know if it's the vodka but my head hurts even trying to read that...
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

What?

It seems to suggest that some guys bought some Family Stand tickets and were asked to sit in the Family Stand, odd that.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I'm going to make a comment about the stewards today, I need some time to compile a mixed bag of thoughts.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Southampton Gull wrote:I'm going to make a comment about the stewards today, I need some time to compile a mixed bag of thoughts.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Southampton Gull wrote:I'm going to make a comment about the stewards today, I need some time to compile a mixed bag of thoughts.
Before anyone goes for the jugular be aware that the stewards in the enclosure were called to attend to someone with a suspected heart attack, successfully I believe.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To be honest i do not think what Dave S/G will have to said will be all bad,they had a lot to deal with at the game last night ,there was an incident towards the end of the game which the stewards dealt with quickly ,correctly and in the proper manner.

That said the mood was set from the moment we entered the ground and S/G was pulled to one side when, Dave and the entire newly named "yellow army" was put under threat of being thrown out of the ground before the game had even started,i think now i will stand aside and allow S/G to have his say if he wish's,and no doubt he will put things across in a better,more understanable manner than i could :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
highweekgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by highweekgull »

On a positive note - I bought an adult and child tickets for family stand - when I found out my nephew couldn't make it, I went back to the club, told them and they gave me a refund and allowed me to swap to popside (uncle simon prefers that!)

No hassle, no problems nice and easy - thanks guys
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Far from going for the jugular, as I said previously it's a mixed bag.

Firstly, as I entered the Popside I was greeted by a steward with an orange jacket who said he wanted a word with me. He told me that one of their head guys wanted to speak to me. He mentioned that an assessor had reported racist chanting and that I was being targetted as a ringleader for the "Yellow Army"/"Ultras". I laughed and asked if he was joking, he wasn't. I mentioned that spending £50 on a quantity of flags to help get them going, and creating a Board on here for the Yellow Army was as far as my involvement went but agreed to go and talk to the head of the "Response Team".

We had a discussion whereby he informed me that it wasn't racist chanting but obscene gesturing that had been noted by the assessor. Apparently there is a bit of a power struggle within the stewarding setup, the Crowd Safety Officer wants the Argyle stewards back, the local ones being used want to continue but were told to deal with things or someone else would. Under those circumstances I can understand totally that they want to cover their bases but do me a favour, if you watch the fans as they always do then they will already know who is responsible. I'm as vocal as anyone with my support but that's where it ends. I don't condone any kind of racist chanting, I don't condone the obscene gesturing and I think some of the songs sung on a regular basis are quite cringeworthy, however, there has always been colourful language used at football and there always will be, I don't like it being used in front of my children but realise that if they go to football they'll hear what they hear on the streets in the form of coulourful language.

Before the game started, there was a bit of a congested area at the away end of the Pop, the stewards moved in, cleared the steps efficiently and the game started. I saw them move in and stop a few people from gesturing with their hands, not a bad thing and also done with reasonable authority as you'd expect. Towards the end of the game a couple of Shrews fans were ejected and a dozen or so Torquay fans rushed to the end of the Pop and were obviously bantering with the couple of Shrews fans. It then fell to a few stewards to move them back and a lot of pushing and shoving started. I saw a steward get pushed, saw him push back and at this time a dozen or so stewards came in to quell the disturbance. I pulled Forevertufc's son out of the way and behind me so he didn't get hurt by other fans or stewards. The stewards were forceful but I really can't fault them for doing what they did in this instance.

What occurred next though is what really bothers me. I saw the head of the response team deliberately goading someone, blowing him a kiss and muttering "any time". It doesn't matter if he was being taunted or ridiculed, if the other person is doing anything wrong then warn him, eject him or whatever else you find necessary, don't stand their and act like a hardman, do your job. Act professionally and remember one thing, you're there to keep us safe, not try and enforce a hardman persona. The game finished, fans ran onto the pitch and the stewards didn't even try to stop it. If the club are really serious about stopping fans running onto the pitch make an announcement 5 mins before the end and then tell the stewards to stop people, and punish those identified.

There are discussions going on about bringing the Argyle lot back, God forbid. Apparently they already cover the away end and our own ones cover all home areas. I hope we manage to continue with those we already have, BUT, they can do so much better. Act firmly when needed, I have no problem with that, but stop the Doorman/Bouncer act, some of us just want to watch a match, support our team and stay safe.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

Please please don't bring the Argyle lot back, they're a bunch of animals. The ones we have now have been brilliant overall. I wish they'ed keep the children off the pitch though, it's really p1ssing me off. Call me a miserable git but pitch invasions ruin it for those who want to show their (true) support for the team. It would have been great if the team + Buckle couldhave come over to the pop side like usual but no. Apart from that though, what a great day yesterday was. I saw the 2nd goal in the pub, was a bit strange missing it but not missing it (if you get what I mean). It was fantastic though, the pub erupted, drinks went flying everyone was going mental, singing and dancing :scarf:
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

you miserable git!
still keeping the faith
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Parry, were you at the ground? If so, why did you watch the match in the pub?

Apologies if I have misunderstood!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

Yes I was, I went in the pub for half time drinks.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Those last minute goals are a real bummer for you then eh!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Well that has to be the worst use of grammar I have ever seen. Used by a person who obviously doesn't think to look at tickets when they're given to him, especially knowing the members of the Torquay United FC admin department are prone to the odd (often) c*ck up.

Oh yes, use the spacebar AFTER a full stop or comma!

Anyway, back on topic. From my rare trips down to Plainmoor in recent years, I have found the stewards to be fine. Most recently, I was at the Wycombe game where I was asked to move off the yellow areas on the steps in the popside, I squeezed up a little bit and all problems where solved. Just don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine with the stewards. If you start trying to go to areas which are likely to be full and you don't have a ticket for it, of course they're going to question you and stop you from going in there, it's their job.

Perhaps for next time, check your tickets before going in the stadium and you wouldn't stress out your recently hospitalised friend (why on earth you'd bring him to a loud, stressful game of football, I don't know) and make sure you clearly ask for the area you want in the first place, then check them as they give you the tickets.

It really isn't difficult.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"