The loyal supporters quiz.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

The loyal supporters quiz.

Post by dawlishmatt »

So you think you are a loyal supporter of Torquay united. Both Mrs Dawlish and I have set you a quick quiz that should be easy pickings for a loyal supporter.
1. In January 1979 Torquay united were drawn away against which opposition in round 3 of the FA Cup. Who were the apponants and what was unusual about the tie ?
2. In the mid 1970s Torquay beat Burnley in an FA cup tie. Who scored the only goal in the match?
3. In January 1988, Torquay played an away fixture at Bolton Wanderers FC. Who scored the winner in front of over 22,000 fans in a 2-1 victory for the Gulls?
4. In May 1988 Torquay played an away fixture at Scunthorpe. Why was the match significant apart from the score ?
5. In 1995 Torquay visited Scarborough. What was the bizarre circumstances that led to a Torquay player being sent off ?
6.In 1996 Torquay played an away match at Gillingham in Kent. Who did they play.
7. In April 1991 Torquay beat Northampton Town 4-1 in an away Division 4 fixture . What was the half time score and which Torquay player scored a hat trick in the match ?
8. In the mid 1980s Torquay won a league match against Halifax Town away. Who scored all 4 goals in a 4-2 victory for the Gulls.
9.Under the disastrous Dave Webb regime, Torquay played 2 away matches in 24 hours. Who were the opposition?
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Well, a loyal supporter who may never have visited Plainmoor.....its pretty well all away questions!
Last edited by Chelston TUFC on 21 Oct 2022, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Here's a question to make it 10....who scored Torquay United's cheekiest goal?
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

dawlishmatt wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 20:50 So you think you are a loyal supporter of Torquay united. Both Mrs Dawlish and I have set you a quick quiz that should be easy pickings for a loyal supporter.
1. In January 1979 Torquay united were drawn away against which opposition in round 3 of the FA Cup. Who were the apponants and what was unusual about the tie ?
2. In the mid 1970s Torquay beat Burnley in an FA cup tie. Who scored the only goal in the match?
3. In January 1988, Torquay played an away fixture at Bolton Wanderers FC. Who scored the winner in front of over 22,000 fans in a 2-1 victory for the Gulls?
4. In May 1988 Torquay played an away fixture at Scunthorpe. Why was the match significant apart from the score ?
5. In 1995 Torquay visited Scarborough. What was the bizarre circumstances that led to a Torquay player being sent off ?
6.In 1996 Torquay played an away match at Gillingham in Kent. Who did they play.
7. In April 1991 Torquay beat Northampton Town 4-1 in an away Division 4 fixture . What was the half time score and which Torquay player scored a hat trick in the match ?
8. In the mid 1980s Torquay won a league match against Halifax Town away. Who scored all 4 goals in a 4-2 victory for the Gulls.
9.Under the disastrous Dave Webb regime, Torquay played 2 away matches in 24 hours. Who were the opposition?
I can answer 4 of them. Wasn't the Burnley match a midweek League Cup tie? If I remember correctly, Colin Lee nutmegged Mike Summerbee in the corner near the mini stand and pop side. Summerbee was fuming. Burnley were a Div 2 side (championship) at the time.
4: Final game at Old Show Ground before Scunthorpe moved to Glanford Park.
6: Brighton and Hove Albion. Albion had sold the Goldstone and were using Priestfield on a temporary basis before moving back to Withdean and eventually Falmer, where they are now.
7: Dean Edwards scored the hat trick.
8: Paul Dobson.
Btw, we used to play 3 matches in 4 days at Easter in the 1970's. One of my early away trips with TUFC was to see Newport and Swansea on successive days at Easter. We stayed overnight at the Mumbles. I think it cost £7.50! :scarf:
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

1 Newcastle? Don't know why unusual
2 Willie Brown
3 Mark Gardiner
5 Jim McNichol? don't remember why
9 Hartlepool, Darlington
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

5 too late for McNichol so can't remember
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

1. Lost 3-1 against Newcastle the game was switched from a Saturday to mid week but I cannot remember why. ? Train problems.
2.Bomber Brown
3.Mark Gardiner?
4.We missed a chance of promotion to Scunthorpe.
5. Cannot recall reason or who was sent off ? Goalkeeper
6.what a game (was there) ah wow Brighton battered by Jason Roberts!!
7.1-0. Deano (was there)
8.Dobbo
9.Halifax and Hartlepool.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

desperado wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 07:41 1 Newcastle? Don't know why unusual
2 Willie Brown
3 Mark Gardiner
5 Jim McNichol? don't remember why
9 Hartlepool, Darlington
I remember going on a supporters coach heading for the midweek cup tie at Newcastle. We got as far as Gordano and found out the match was called off. We were offered the alternative of either turning around and heading back home, or going to London, and watching Spurs v Altrincham. Naturally we decided to go and watch Spurs draw 1-1 with the mighty Altrincham. Wouldn't be allowed now. :scarf:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

So, if someone cant answer any or just a few, then they can't be a loyal supporter?
What a load of b*llocks.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 12:05 So, if someone cant answer any or just a few, then they can't be a loyal supporter?
What a load of b*llocks.
HI SNW, I love it when you bite, it's like taking candy from a baby. I guess that you don't have any answers to the quiz? I don't have to say anymore, you're post says it all.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 12:46 HI SNW, I love it when you bite, it's like taking candy from a baby. I guess that you don't have any answers to the quiz? I don't have to say anymore, you're post says it all.
I think it was you that bit with the above reply....
You were talking about "loyal supporters" - you dont have to answer your quiz questions to be one of those.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Should be retitled 'the loyal Away supporters quiz'.

10 points for anyone who was at the game that ended Wes Saunders playing career? Was only around 30 of us, so I'd be surprised if anyone else knows it.

Ridiculous to question anyone's loyalty, even tongue in cheek, on their Away day knowledge. Most games I try to forget tbh.

Cheeky goal, I'm guessing Kevin Hill when he headed the ball out of the keepers hands?
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Taelee73 wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 13:15 Should be retitled 'the loyal Away supporters quiz'.

10 points for anyone who was at the game that ended Wes Saunders playing career? Was only around 30 of us, so I'd be surprised if anyone else knows it.

Ridiculous to question anyone's loyalty, even tongue in cheek, on their Away day knowledge. Most games I try to forget tbh.

Cheeky goal, I'm guessing Kevin Hill when he headed the ball out of the keepers hands?
Don't worry Taelee 73, much to the dismay of SNW I will give the answers to the quiz on Thursday and post part 2 which is mainly questions concerning home games from the 1970s to the 2,000s.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Or Kevin Hill hiding behind the keeper
v Stockport
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Chelston TUFC »

desperado wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 13:59 Or Kevin Hill hiding behind the keeper
v Stockport
Yes, quality goal and what a smashing guy too.