The Best Players and Marquee Signings

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

The Best Players and Marquee Signings

Post by Stickingitin »

I'll exclude the goalkeepers from this assessment.
Many fans warned the management of TUFC early on in the season that the so called marquee signings were not good enough, the consequences of not acting upon such warnings are the result we have now.
If your best players are the older players with legs ailing it is common sense that they are the backup bench. Time in the last 45 games have proven that this is the case as the injuries have shown consistency was missing.
This means that recruitment was largely lacking as we ALL can agree.
Next season should our best and most experienced players stay at Plainmoor, means that they are bench players ready to back up a recruitment that sees proven players, be it from lower leagues or higher that have legs, age and fitness on their side.
It is a simple formula if the management are able to train those willing to progress.

A loan player is just something that you have to give back and brings nothing to the club and should only ever be backup, this means bringing in players within the above criterea that the club can build upon.
Our reliance on loan players means we are depleted yet again, and therefore, even if we have to dig lower down in the leagues to get players (the irony that we may well play against Tony Lee next season) and, providing our experienced older players stay, means we have the training to make them better players.

We of course will lose Aron Jarvis and Frank Nouble is at least the league we find ourselves in until the next game.
We only picked up in the league, with mainly the same players when we went to at least THREE STRIKERS (you can look back on my posts to see this) as previously we were firing on one or two. I can only think that the competition for places that GJ says was a mist in his mind for two thirds of the season, as you cannot score enough goals only relying on Asa Hall who is the minimum standard of player.

This brings me to a conclusion, where are our scouts? And if I were the Governor I would fire them!
The days of finding the likes of Gregory Goodridge or Rodney Jack seem to be missing.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Confused the shit out of me with that’ll
numbersderkgull
Trialist
Trialist
Watches from: Pop side

Post by numbersderkgull »

I’ve only just joined this forum, long time lurker however, why do even I know you as the ‘Tony Lee Guy’?
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

numbersderkgull wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 22:16 I’ve only just joined this forum, long time lurker however, why do even I know you as the ‘Tony Lee Guy’?
Yes, 18 goals in the last 11 games really says it all.
We had our chance to get him but for some reason it didn't work out. I do believe his contract is up in June though I wouldn't know for sure.
Stickingitin
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stickingitin »

Forest gull wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 22:29 Confused the shit out of me with that’ll
Not to worry as there's a good game to be watched or even scouted at Bolitho Park, Plymouth on Wednesday (26/04/2023) 7.45pm kick off.
It happens to be the Truro City vs Poole Town Play-Off Semi Final of the Southern League, just one league below us soon.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

I don't think your obsession with strikers alone would help the team. We were poor in all departments, especially the right side of defense, lack of width no wingers and midfield incapable of feeding the strikers or protecting the defense.
Football is not a simple game.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

I was very much in favour of Johnson going to try and turn around our form in the National League and avoid relegation. However, I do acknowledge that Johnson has a very good track record and these levels and this season may have been the exception as opposed to the rule. He tried to build a team of talented youngsters, but it just wasn't feasible - I'd be confident if he went back to a less ambitious formula he would be very capable of signing players and building a team to get out of National League South. Therefore, I'm not sat fully in the Johnson out camp, especially as finding a credible replacement is not guaranteed.

However at the same time Johnson will turn 68 this summer and ultimately failed in his task - we're back where we started under Johnson, so searching for a replacement to try and win promotion and build for the future does for me seem to be the best move.