Players

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Players

Post by friendlygas »

Anybody down there any ideas on players Paul Buckle would want to bring to our club. Our Chairman has indicated a list of 8-9 players that aul wants. I would assume that a maximum of 3 from your clkub would be on that list,any ideas who and any others from outside your club who you think he would be interested in.
The other thing I wonder is what do you think of Paul Trollope becoming your Manager?
The type of player I would imagine him bringing to you would be Stuart Campbell who was our Captain and actually managed us at the end of the season and still a very good defensive midfield player. Others I wouldnt be surprised to see join Trolls would be Jo Kuffour(Striker), Charlie Reece (Midfield),Byron Anthony (Defender).
Goodluck to you this season and hope foir two good games against you.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

friendlygas wrote:Anybody down there any ideas on players Paul Buckle would want to bring to our club. Our Chairman has indicated a list of 8-9 players that aul wants. I would assume that a maximum of 3 from your clkub would be on that list,any ideas who and any others from outside your club who you think he would be interested in.
The other thing I wonder is what do you think of Paul Trollope becoming your Manager?
The type of player I would imagine him bringing to you would be Stuart Campbell who was our Captain and actually managed us at the end of the season and still a very good defensive midfield player. Others I wouldnt be surprised to see join Trolls would be Jo Kuffour(Striker), Charlie Reece (Midfield),Byron Anthony (Defender).
I think most of us agree that Branston and Stanley are done deals. Not sure who else, you have any money to spend?
As for us taking Kuffour, we had him until he went on holiday and never came back! I can't imagine him coming, unless we lose Zebs or Kee. Zebroski being one that Buckle might try to buy.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

friendlygas wrote:Anybody down there any ideas on players Paul Buckle would want to bring to our club. Our Chairman has indicated a list of 8-9 players that aul wants. I would assume that a maximum of 3 from your clkub would be on that list,any ideas who and any others from outside your club who you think he would be interested in.
To be honest mate, you have been very fair on here with your comments, but this does feel a bit like "sticking the knife in" if you don't mind me saying! In other words .... "here's what you could have had"!

To answer your questions though, the only real target we knew about was Ross Hannah at Matlock Town (scored 52 goals at Evo Stick Premier level alst season) but we've both missed out on him because he signed for Bradford City. We were also rumoured to be interested in James Vardy at Halifax Town but he would cost you a sizeable transfer fee to prize away from them. I wouldn't be surprised if Bucks looked at one or two Exeter players either as he is aknow admirer of Richard Logan and has, I believe, also tried to sign Jamie Cureton in the past so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he went after him - but I guess you know all about him. The only other player I can think of that we have recently been linked with was a young defender (Josh Meekings I think) who has just been released by Ipswich Town.

I would fully expect him to try and sign Craig Stanley and maybe Jake Robinson (although he did have a habit of substituting him nearly every game, so maybe not) who we had on loan and are now both free agents and there is also a guy called Ben Pringle who was briefly on loan here that has now been transfer listed by Derby that might interest him. It goes without saying that he would more than likely be very keen to be reunited with the likes of Chris Zebroski and Eunan O'Kane but both would cost you quite a few quid as they are under contract for another year and certainly in the case of young O'Kane big or at least bigger things are expected of him than L2 to be honest.

As for Paul Trollope it's by no means certain he will be our new Manager - some on here reckon he might not want it anyway because he is still being paid (probably more than we can afford) a salary by your lot - but if he does come I must admit it had crossed my mind that he might bring Stuart Campbell with him as player/coach.I would also think it pretty much a nailed on certainty that he would also have quite a few of your released players (17 in total isn't it?) on his shopping list.
Last edited by CP Gull on 01 Jun 2011, 11:21, edited 2 times in total.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Suspect you will be signing Poke from Brighton friendlygas. Excellent keeper - we loved him when he was on loan to us. Buckle rates him highly. Was hoping he would return to us but doubt this.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Am I the only one that thinks Branston is over rated? Central defender with high balls fine but his tackling wasn't the best and generally with the ball at his feet he wasn't that good. Can't help but feel league two is probably his ceiling.

Wouldn't want to see Zebs go but maybe it is the right time to cash in.

Let me ask you friendly in a friendly way, how long do you think the Gas faithfulll will put up with PB if things go wrong? There not exactly renowed for their patience at the Mem. He willl need time thats for sure.
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

yes dave..think you're the only one re: guy branston...the man is a rock in defense and shows great leadership
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Richinns wrote:Suspect you will be signing Poke from Brighton friendlygas. Excellent keeper - we loved him when he was on loan to us. Buckle rates him highly. Was hoping he would return to us but doubt this.
Don't think they will be able to afford Poke.....new range rover, 03 merc, reputedly on £4,000 per week.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Poke has been offered and signed a new contract with Brighton in the Championship so don't see that happening. Though wouldn't be that surprised to see him go out on loan at some stage.

As an afterthought, I see that Matt Gill has now been released by Norwich. Given that Bucks has played with him at Exeter before and I believe tried to sign him before I would reckon he would certainly be in for him - hopefully instead of Craig Stanley! That said, in wouldn't be a major surprise if Paul Tisdale tried to re-sign him for Exeter.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

CP Gull wrote:Poke has been offered and signed a new contract with Brighton in the Championship so don't see that happening. Though wouldn't be that surprised to see him go out on loan at some stage.

As an afterthought, I see that Matt Gill has now been released by Norwich. Given that Bucks has played with him at Exeter before and I believe tried to sign him before I would reckon he would certainly be in for him - hopefully instead of Craig Stanley! That said, in wouldn't be a major surprise if Paul Tisdale tried to re-sign him for Exeter.
Last I heard Poyet fell out with Poke over 1 mistake he made. Sorry - obviously not up to speed on that one.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Branston was outstanding when he was here but I cannot help feeling we have had the best season that anyone is going to get out of him. Not sour grapes at all but there is no guarantee that going to another club (assuming he is going) he is going to replicate the form he showed at Torquay. He is not getting any younger and is prone to the odd error. Like buckle he will need to start well - if the fans get on his back he is likely to see his arse very quickly.
If you gave me a choice I would prefer to keep Mark Ellis - it is hard to see another mnager keeping Ellis as bench fodder.
No doubt Buckle would like Zebroski and I wonder if we will stand in his way if they make an offer. Bigger clubs than Bristol Rovers will be interested in O'Kane so I cannot see him going there.
Could not care less if he signs Robinson or Tomlin.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

brucie wrote:Branston was outstanding when he was here but I cannot help feeling we have had the best season that anyone is going to get out of him. Not sour grapes at all but there is no guarantee that going to another club (assuming he is going) he is going to replicate the form he showed at Torquay. He is not getting any younger and is prone to the odd error. Like buckle he will need to start well - if the fans get on his back he is likely to see his arse very quickly.
If you gave me a choice I would prefer to keep Mark Ellis - it is hard to see another mnager keeping Ellis as bench fodder.
No doubt Buckle would like Zebroski and I wonder if we will stand in his way if they make an offer. Bigger clubs than Bristol Rovers will be interested in O'Kane so I cannot see him going there.Could not care less if he signs Robinson or Tomlin.
I agree with you here Brucie. I do wonder if we had the best of Branno, this last season. By his own admission it was "one of his best". I'm not knocking him, I voted for him as player of the season, but he has made the odd error. I am a big Mark Ellis fan and would love to see him playing more games for TUFC. So, to be honest, I would not be that upset if Branno went. It would give us a chance to built a team around younger players. I appreciate that we will ,also, need experience but I think we have that in Manse, Nicho, Zebs and, hopefully, Craig.

Can't see Eunan going to BR. He is still very young so another season here will only be good for him. If he continues to improve then I can see him making a good side in league 1 and, possibly higher.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote:Branston was outstanding when he was here but I cannot help feeling we have had the best season that anyone is going to get out of him. Not sour grapes at all but there is no guarantee that going to another club (assuming he is going) he is going to replicate the form he showed at Torquay. He is not getting any younger and is prone to the odd error. Like buckle he will need to start well - if the fans get on his back he is likely to see his arse very quickly.
No doubt Buckle would like Zebroski and I wonder if we will stand in his way if they make an offer. Bigger clubs than Bristol Rovers will be interested in O'Kane so I cannot see him going there.
Could not care less if he signs Robinson or Tomlin.

Brucie, the reason Ellis wasn't picked is down to Branston who much preferred to play with Robertson alongside him, he (Branston) felt that Ellis was continually out of position and wasn't a good enough marker.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

To try to answer your questions.
1) Do we have any money?
Yes and No!! Our Chairman assures us that our budget is one of the best in League 2 but less than last season.He says it is close to the Wage Cap in League 2 which I am not too sure how much that is. We received I believe at least £500,000 for Will Hoskins but knowing the Club as I do only a small percentage of that will go back into the playing budget. If you are wondering if we will offer over £75000 for any one player then I think it is very unlikely as we need as many as 12 players so I see most of them being free transfers so IMO we will not be bidding for your better players under contract. I could be wrong on that as we did pay £200,000 for Ricky Lambert a few seasons back but it will come as a surprise if we do go above £75000 or maybe even £50,000.
2) How long will the fans put up with Paul Buckle?
Its only my opinion but I think he will be given every chance by the fans to do the job and I think when he leaves us it will be his choice and not the clubs. My feeling that the fans wil give him time is this
1) You probably dont quite realise how bad it has been at our club- I went to 52 out of the 53 matches this season and the majority were awful.(1-6 at Oxford and Walsall,2-6 at Sheffield Wednesday and 1-2 at Darlington spring to mind!!) Paul Buckle wil be given the time to TOTALLY rebuild the side with possibly as many as 12 signings so it wiull be his side from the start (A luxury Dave Penney didnt have) It will obviously take time to blend al those players in and IMO midtable would be acceptable for the Club alkthough we would like to think we will push for the PlayOffs
2) The appointment has been received VERY WELL by the forum and it has suddenly become the most positive it has been for three years.
3) Our average gate last season was probably around the 6000 mark but I would not be surprised to see a gate of 9-10,000 for the first home game next season whoever we play. As a matter of interest the last time we played in Division 2 in year 2000 we had just appointed Gerry Francis for a second time and that was against yourselves and the crowd was 10,200. I really do see the same feeling of optimism with Paul Buckle but football is a funny old game as Jimmy Greaves once famously said so who knows.
Personally I hope that both yourseles and us are fighting it out at the top end of the table.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Southampton Gull wrote:
Brucie, the reason Ellis wasn't picked is down to Branston who much preferred to play with Robertson alongside him, he (Branston) felt that Ellis was continually out of position and wasn't a good enough marker.
Can I agree with you Dave?? :whistle:

Theres also the fact that both Robbo and Ellis are naturally right sided players whilst Branners is naturally left sided. Of course you could say they should be able to play either side but we are talking L2 players not Barca standard ;-)
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

You should take Macklin and Stevens for sure. Brilliant players....
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.