Kuffour leaving Rovers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Kuffour leaving Rovers

Post by Glostergull »

Joe Kuffour is leaving Bristol Rovers today according to BBC Radio Bristol. There are rumours he is going to Northampton. Would love it to bits if he came back here.. I know they say you shouldn't revisit old ground but I am sure he would be a great assett and a better player for our 1st team. Someone on the wing who will torment defences. I doubt we will see himas we couldn't afford his wages, But it seems as if he isn't settled at Rovers any more and I wonder if he has fallen out with Buckle. He didn't travel to orient last night saying his head wasn't right for the trip. so Buckle left him out. Would we want an old player back who can still deliver the goods or would it be wiser to say no if he has shown a tendancy to not want to play because he doesn't feel right. He seems to have been their best player this season. I think by miles. what do you think.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

He's too inconsistent so the majority of fans are happy to see the back of him. Zero chance of this happening though. He wants to move closer to London not further away (get ready for everyone to mention Carayol going to Lincoln again haha).

While he looks threatening at times, he's also pretty ineffective at others and certainly never consistent. I hope he moves on and Zebroski plays up front as he was excellent there last night and looks much more comfortable than on the wing.

I hear Howe went off injured last night. Does anyone know if it's serious? He did struggle with injuries at us and seems really slow at recovering so hopefully nothing more than a precaution he came off. Surprised he's been playing twice a week as he just can't do it and needs a rest to be effective.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

There was a time he was better than Thierry Henry ;0)
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

blueboy wrote:He's too inconsistent so the majority of fans are happy to see the back of him. Zero chance of this happening though. He wants to move closer to London not further away (get ready for everyone to mention Carayol going to Lincoln again haha).

While he looks threatening at times, he's also pretty ineffective at others and certainly never consistent. I hope he moves on and Zebroski plays up front as he was excellent there last night and looks much more comfortable than on the wing.

I hear Howe went off injured last night. Does anyone know if it's serious? He did struggle with injuries at us and seems really slow at recovering so hopefully nothing more than a precaution he came off. Surprised he's been playing twice a week as he just can't do it and needs a rest to be effective.
Well, we've been trying to play him twice a week but for me it's not really working out. At Aldershot the other week he looked well off the pace, and got himself injured last night it seems.

He needs carefully managed game time to get fit - he should have been on the bench yesterday instead of the clearly much fitter Atieno and given Howe half an hour tops. Massive own goal by Ling there IMO.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Kuffour linked with Northampton, Gillingham and Yeovil.

Won't be us.

I see Ling is quoted as saying we won't be signing anyone but that is maybe something he ought to review if Howe is going to be out.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

blueboy wrote:He's too inconsistent so the majority of fans are happy to see the back of him. Zero chance of this happening though. He wants to move closer to London not further away (get ready for everyone to mention Carayol going to Lincoln again haha).

If he was stll like he was at Plainmoor it's possible you may have a point, but you seem to think he hasn't improved or changed. he has. As was proved at the Mem this season. he was arguably their best player that day. His vision and the things he can do with the ball when you least expect it would be something we do not possess in the team partly because if we did we would lose them and if they were not here then we couldn't normally afford them. Joe is getting older now and may be dropping into our league. He may be too expensive but there again he may not. I for one would welcome a much improved player who can turn on a sixpence and change a match when it seems all is lost.
Regarding How. It's hoped it's not serious and will be back in a week or so. we await the outcome of that one with interest. I agree. he has been quite a revelation since he came here but he must be rested and not forced to play every game going. He should have been rested last night. it will take a while to get him properly fit and then he will really cause problems for oppo teams.
After looking at various football news today though. Despite our problems I would 8-2 be an Arsenal fan right now. As one Kid remarked when asked whether he would like to live with his mum or dad. I wouldn't like to live with either cause they beat me. Then who would you like to live with they asked. Arsene Venger he replied. Cos he don't beat no one.

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

What amuses me about JK, is the poster who refers to JK as Joker4. :lol:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Trojan 67 wrote:What amuses me about JK, is the poster who refers to JK as Joker4. :lol:
I assume your talking about the Gas board. They all seem to have wierd ways of refereing to various players. Some of them leave me with a smile on my face.

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Glostergull wrote: I assume your talking about the Gas board. They all seem to have wierd ways of refereing to various players. Some of them leave me with a smile on my face.

Aye, it is someone from the "Gas Board". :nod:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Don't confuse JK (Joker4) with JK ("Rowling" on the floor). :rofl:
Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

Whats weird/funny about spelling his name Joker4??.....it's not a dig at him or anything.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Hi Gashead.
I don't think it's a particular dig at Joe. I don't known if you have met him but because I have also followed Rovers as well over the years I still know Joe and he is a really nice guy. He's matured into a really good players who is generally consistant and has to be one of, if not the best player at the club.

In several matches when I watched him up there at the Mem he changed matches in an instant by a very quick turn and shot which usualy shot into the back of the net. I don't know many other players who you could have said that about even including Lambert who when he got the ball you could see he was aiming for goal. or Hoskins who was very much the same way. They could bang em in but were predictable. Joe Kuffour is not. and that's his strength.

Many strikers will get a ball and you can see how a goal could come about when they have it. defenders don't get to stop them because they can't catch them or get the ball off them. joe would get the ball and sometimes score a great goal out of nothing because you never knew there was a chance of a goal and were not prepared for it.
He will only have my respect. becauase of that skill. and I suspect a lot of Gulls fans will do as well.

What we do notice on many boards is the shorthand that fans use to get over a players name if they either can't spell or remember a not so common name, and somtimes it is genuinly funny what they come out with.

I have often commented on here about how a thread can turn out funny because someone has spelt something wrong or in a shorthand way and it was funny. nothing to be hurt about unless you see that the thread is aimed at being somewhat antagnonistic. I would rather celebrate it as something that can brighten up our day.

We do get a Red supporter come on he (summat like Red Jim isn't it. Can't remember his name) I can't bring myself to mention teams in red. it doesn't matter if I watch the Bristol Blue side or The Gulls I have this problem with a team down the road in red called S***y who are the main local rivals. But sometimes his comments are priceless.
It's just a respect no matter how grudging, that they may support the oppo team but we are all human beings (even if some of them are has beens) and we all have a part in this game and can earn some respect.

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Forgot to ask. I didn't see his name listed anywhere as having finaly left or moved, Has he gone and where or is he still there and are they asking a fee?

Gashead1979
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Gashead1979 »

Glostergull wrote:Forgot to ask. I didn't see his name listed anywhere as having finaly left or moved, Has he gone and where or is he still there and are they asking a fee?
No he's still here, but I suspect he will be off on loan when the loan window opens

About the "Joker4" thing, I just didnt know if you were thinking we were using it in a derogative way or not. I use it and he'd be in my starting X1 every week. Kuffour tends to be spelt in all kind of weird and wonderful ways, not seen too many attempt his full name though!!!
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

The only way the wording of Joker4 can be construded as derogative if it was followed by something like "F***ing useless ****"

I enjoyed watching him in his time at Torquay and would have been a good loan player, but chances are he will go back to London.