Rooney Decision!!.....

General chat about anything else goes here.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Rooney Decision!!.....

Post by tufc si »

What an absolute joke!!! 3 game match ban which could potentially wipe him out of the whole Euro Champs!!

Which alternatives would you lot fancy??.....
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

I wouldnt call it a joke. I'm really not surprised. He deserves it. There was no need for him to lash out and kick the lad like he did. Wasnt the blokes fault Roon mis controlled the ball.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Just desserts for a petulant act in my opinion

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I didn't see the kick unfortunately but i always wonder why Darren Bent is always seen as a 'fringe player'.

Bent consistently scores goals in the prem league and he should be playing every game imo, with a striker that offers more to the team playing alongside him. Ideally Rooney but clearly he won't make the early games, in this case i would say that spot is very much up for grabs, much like the RB slot in the side.

Time for Defoe, Crouch, Zamora and the rest to step up and stake a claim.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

With a ban for all the group games it would be ridiculous for the manager to even include him in the squad. Time for somebody else to step in just as Geoff Hurst did for the injured Jimmy Greaves at the quarter-final stage in 1966 and stake a claim so strong that he keeps his place. When England get a big game anyway Rooney always performs like an overweight donkey, and he clearly hasn't learnt from him booting us out of the 2006 World Cup with his quarter-final sending off. Give him a summer off and let him spend all his spare time in the bookies with his dad! ;-)
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Roberts

Post by BritishGAS »

Rooney is still the complete prick he has always been.

But I do feel the 3 game ban is extremely excessive.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if it was a French, German, Spanish, Italian, or Russian for that matter then it wouldn't of been that severe. Arshavin was only given a 2 game ban at the last Euro's for a similar incident.

That said Rooney is a bellend of the highest order and maybe this will hopefully give the stupid scouse c*nt an incentive to stop his stupid tantrums.

I think we should seriously consider not taking him to finals at all, it would be harsh on the other guys who are going to be needed because of his petulance.

I think the likes of Danny Sturridge, Danny Welbeck, possibly Zamora can step up to the plate, Especially Sturridge who I have seen quite a bit of over the last 3 years and he is going to be one hell of a player.

On a personal level it would be nice to see Zamora given a crack, to go with Geoff Bradford,Gary Mabbut, Keith Curle, John Scales, and Nigel Martyn in the ex gasheads to represent England
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

BritishGAS wrote: On a personal level it would be nice to see Zamora given a crack, to go with Geoff Bradford,Gary Mabbut, Keith Curle, John Scales, and Nigel Martyn in the ex gasheads to represent England
That's not bad a rough count of our full internationals would be:-
ENGLAND: Ken Brown, Tony Currie, Lee Sharpe, Keith Curle, Tony Brown, Gordon Astall;
SCOTLAND: Bruce Rioch, Matt Elliott;
WALES: Neville Southall, Jason Rees, Dudley Lewis, Paul Trollope, Ryan Green, James Jones;
NORTHERN IRELAND: Eric Welsh, Alan McLoughlin, Paul Ramsey;
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND: Jimmy Dunne, Pat Roche, Alan Lee, Jimmy Holmes, Dermot Curtis, Micky Evans;
USA: Jurgen Sumner;
NEW ZEALAND: Colin Walizer;
ICELAND: Oli somethingorother(?);
IRAN: Amir Hashemi;
JAMAICA: Paul Hall, Darren Moore, Narada Bernard;
ST VINCENT: Rodney Jack;
NIGERIA: Chima Okora;
GRENADA: Jason Roberts, Tony Bedeau;
BARBADOS: Gregory Goodrich.

Under 23, Youth, and 'B' Internationals would be too numerous to attempt to count.

Of our managers since entering the Football League 14 have been former full internationals, 5 with England.
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by BritishGAS »

Thats not a bad list Stef, but some of those are players that played for Torquay on loan or in the twilight of their careers, So they dont really count.

A few of those in that list also represented the Gas, the likes of Roberts, Trollope, Micky Evans and Ryan Green.

If I was going the same route as you, I could include Alan Ball, Gerry Francis and Mark Walters for England.

We also had the Latvian captain and all time record appearance maker for an outfield player play for us at the peak of his career in Vitas Astavajevs, he captained Latvia in Euro 2004 when he was at The Gas.

If I was to name all the internationals that have played for us it will take far to much of my precious time.

It probably comes across like I am playing top trumps :~D I dont mean it to come across that way, I am just saying like :)
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

BritishGAS wrote:Thats not a bad list Stef, but some of those are players that played for Torquay on loan or in the twilight of their careers, So they dont really count.

A few of those in that list also represented the Gas, the likes of Roberts, Trollope, Micky Evans and Ryan Green.

If I was going the same route as you, I could include Alan Ball, Gerry Francis and Mark Walters for England.

We also had the Latvian captain and all time record appearance maker for an outfield player play for us at the peak of his career in Vitas Astavajevs, he captained Latvia in Euro 2004 when he was at The Gas.

If I was to name all the internationals that have played for us it will take far to much of my precious time.

It probably comes across like I am playing top trumps :~D I dont mean it to come across that way, I am just saying like :)
No it doesn't I just put up a factual list which I thought may be of some interest to some (and I would bet there are loads of players -if not countries- on that list that you have never heard of BG ;-) ).

PS: At the bottom of your post is that a picture of Ivybridge Town's new ground? I had heard they had built a new stand and looking at it the ground will be right up there alongside Falmouth Town, Buckland Athletic, and St Blazey as a pleasant place to spend a Saturday afternoon enjoying a South West Peninsula League game ;-)
BritishGAS
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by BritishGAS »

I know you are only being sarcastic Stef, but I think you well know that is the splendid UWE Stadium which will be the new home of the mighty Gas in 2013. I bet you all wish Torquay could play in a facility like that? :~D

As for the players you mentioned, I recognise most of them, there are a few who have escaped my radar. Oli Somethingorother, Amir Hashemi and Nerada Bernard have bamboozled me.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Does not matter whether you love him or hate him, this 3 match ban for Rooney is based on the country he plays for , had he been Dutch, German or Spanish it would have been just 1 match.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Smithys
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Smithys »

i agree this could all be part of the little Fifa/uefa hate campaign against English football, but i think to leave out our best player would be the end of us. We haven't got any other forward players with enough class. Rooney showed instant remorse so I think 3 games is excessive and I fear we may struggle without Rooney.
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

What do we expect from FIFA...as the last world cup shwdown showed FIFA are just crooks....dont get me started on Blatter !!
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Regiment »

BritishGAS wrote:I know you are only being sarcastic Stef, but I think you well know that is the splendid UWE Stadium which will be the new home of the mighty Gas in 2013. I bet you all wish Torquay could play in a facility like that? :~D

As for the players you mentioned, I recognise most of them, there are a few who have escaped my radar. Oli Somethingorother, Amir Hashemi and Nerada Bernard have bamboozled me.
we will next season..................................provided Uncle Buck hasn't got you into the BSP by then !! ;-) :lol:

back to the topic at hand, i think Rooney should've been left out of the match anyway as you could just see it coming, so another poor managerial decision by Capello in my opinion. having said that, there's no excusing Rooney's actions. he got the 3 match ban because the committee take into account previous record, so he had no chance of getting anything less.

at his best, you want him in the side, but was abysmal in the world cup last year (not just him of course), but england in general rely too much on the "roy of the rovers" players, Rooney, Gerrard......... it's about time we gave form players a chance, and put a "team" together, rather than playing the superstars just because of their name.

we've made mistakes in the past, taking injured players in the hope they'd be fit enough to play some part. Capello should be using the next few months to assemble a stable first XI, capable of winning, not planning to change the team if we get through the group stages. if the team is good enough to get through, why then change it to accommodate rooney ?? on his day, he is a fantastic player, but i'd wait til the end of the season, to see if his form is good, and whether or not we have a better option(s) available, before deciding whether to take him or not.

once again, our preparations for a major tournament are a shambles.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

BritishGAS wrote:Thats not a bad list Stef, but some of those are players that played for Torquay on loan or in the twilight of their careers, So they dont really count.

Genius! Absolute bloody genius. :rofl:

Some of them are foreign muck too, and some are black, some are gay and there's even a ginger in there as well, clearly, none of these players count.

Sorry Stef, it seems that by the rules of "your players international representation doesn't count because BG said so" TUFC have never had a single international in their squad.

As for the new ground (I'll believe it when I see it), you can't polish a turd and if it's a L2 ground, then it's a L2 ground. Bradford, Northampton, Rotherham all play in big flash grounds, two narrowly avoided relegation last term.
For the perfect example, we need only to look to Darlington, who, for some ungodly reason, have a 25,000 all-seater stadium, but struggle to crack 1800 fans and still ply their trade in the Conference.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"