Crewe Alexandra vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Crewe Alexandra vs Torquay United

Post by Plymouth Gull »

What a difference a week makes in football! After scoring 6 goals last week without conceding, and after picking up 6 points, things are beginning to look up again. We travel to Crewe on Saturday to face the struggling Railwaymen. Our hosts sit in 17th place in the table, having lost their last game, away at Aldershot, where they lost 3-1. They return back to Gresty Road, looking to get a win. Their form has been a bit sketchy, as in the last month, they have LWLWLWL, so on that form, they'll be looking to add a 'W' to that on Saturday.

GULLS NEWS.

I'd expect the same team as what we had on Saturday - Rene Howe went off, which was nothing more than caution, I hope. We have a near-fully fit squad to choose from, as I believe Chris Robertson has returned. Ian Morris is our only injury.

THE OPPOSITION.

I don't think the man in the home dugout needs much introducing, if I'm honest. A cult-hero in Crewe, and perhaps one of the most well-known managers in the lower leagues. Dario Gradi has been with Crewe for over two decades, his history rivalling that of Sir Alex Ferguson. He has managed over 1300 games for Crewe in his managerial career, and is the lynchpin of their excellent youth system, which has been supplying top league players for the last 20 years.

Back to the present now, and in goal for Crewe is Steve Phillips. Phillips has been in professional football since 1997, where he joined Bristol City from local side Paulton Rovers. He made over 250 appearances for Bristol City, before he joined their local rivals Bristol Rovers. He made 136 appearances there in 4 years, before spending time out at Shrewsbury and Crewe. He joined Crewe permanently in 2010. His back up is youngster Ben Garrett.

Onto the back four then. At right back, we could be seeing Matt Tootle. He is one of many youngsters to have come into the Alex first team through their youth system. He got promoted to the senior side in 2009 and has made over 60 appearances. Club captain Dave Artell is a stalwart in the centre of the defence. He moved to Gresty Road from Morecambe, where he made over a century of appearances. Adam Dugdale is another option in the defence, and he is another one who has come through the youth system. Harry Davis is yet another one to have come through the youth ranks, having made his debut in May 2010. Other options at the back are Carl Martin, Kelvin Mellor, and Oliver Turton.

Onto midfield then, where there are numerous players to have come through the ranks. Ashley Westwood is one of those, and perhaps the most well-known. The 21-year old has already made over 80 appearances for Crewe, since 2008. Also, in the middle, we could see Lee Bell, who joined the Alex from Macclesfield, or Luke Murphy, another who came through the youth system. Other midfield options are Danny Shelley, Antoni Sarcevic and Nick Powell, all of whom have progressed through the clubs youth system. Nick Powell is/was linked to Premiership clubs in the summer, namely Liverpool and Tottenham, or atleast I think it was those two clubs.

Finally, the attack. Shaun Miller is the main man, having filled the gap left by Clayton Donaldson. Miller's likely partner is AJ Leitch-Smith. He has been a regular so far this season, and has hit the net 4 times already, with Miller hitting 6. Byron Moore is another who can find the net, and can play either up front or on the wing. He has made nearly 150 appearances for Crewe. Other forward options are Max Clayton and Jordan Connerton.

HOW THEY LINED UP.

This is the lineup that lost 3-1 at Aldershot.

Phillips

Tootle
Martin
Dugdale
Davis

Westwood
Murphy
Bell
Moore

Miller
Leitch-Smith

Subs: Powell, Martin, Artell, Shelley, Sarcevic.

PREDICTION.

Hmm. Hopeful that we'll perform as we've done this week. I'll take a point.

1-1.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Bootiful as always Nick. Quick question though, typically, teams play one at home, one away. Since their record is LWLWLWL, assuming they have followed the pattern of one home, one away, and their last match was away, can we reasonably presume that all their losses were away and all their wins were at home?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Not quite Matt. As we had two home games last week (Tuesday, Saturday) they were away on both occasions. They won at Cheltenham, but the game prior was a home tie with Macc, which they lost 1-0.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I sadly can't go to this one, as I am away for the weekend. I feel that we could get the victory, but like Nick I would take the point and predict a 1-1 draw.

COYY!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I feel we can win this one given an improved away performance. I'll go for a high scoring 3-2 win for the men in yellow (and Olejnik!). It's £19.50 to get in, what value. (I'm sure Royalgull will agree with me what amazing value for money this is). Just hope that off the back of two really good home wins that we got to Crewe with the intention of winning the game. If not Mr Ling, we WILL be beaten.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i'm quite optimistic for this one, and am looking forward to being there having missed so many games already this season. last year Ellis scored twice if i remember correctly, so his recent return to the team could be a good sign.

i'm going 2-1 to us, and hope to see you all up there for a pre-match beer.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
cosmic74
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by cosmic74 »

Well after spending the last few days contemplating whether I was going to go to this one, and subsequently deciding not to as the car failed the MOT today and cost me £300, and also I am going to Port Vale in a few weeks and making a weekend of it. Despite all that I wish i was going because I have a good feeling about this one, i think we will come away with 3 points. It Hwill be a tight afair, but I predict a gritty performance and a late winner from Lee Mansell!!

2-1 to us, Howe and Mansell

P.S - If anyone is driving from Plymouth or passing through Plymouth to this game, and have a spare seat, then please PM me.

Andy
I live for matchdays!!!!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well no one can say the team is going into this match short on confidence, however like most would take a point from this game. 1.1
Formerly known as forevertufc
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

This is one my recent move south means I miss out on, which is a shame cos it was a good game and a good atmosphere last year, although gutting that we were 2 up twice and still didn't win (2 Ellis headers and a craker from Eunan, pegged back by a Donaldinho fluke on half time, and a smashing volley and penalty from their quality midfielder whose name I forget). One of the more expensive entry prices, but one of the few grounds with the away fans in seats on halfway.

Crewe don't have the firepower that made them so dangerous last year, but until our last 2 games (which I should also point out were at home) we've not exactly been watertight, so a tricky one to call. I'll go 1-1 as well.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

cosmic74 wrote:Well after spending the last few days contemplating whether I was going to go to this one, and subsequently deciding not to as the car failed the MOT today and cost me £300, and also I am going to Port Vale in a few weeks and making a weekend of it. Despite all that I wish i was going because I have a good feeling about this one, i think we will come away with 3 points. It Hwill be a tight afair, but I predict a gritty performance and a late winner from Lee Mansell!!

2-1 to us, Howe and Mansell

P.S - If anyone is driving from Plymouth or passing through Plymouth to this game, and have a spare seat, then please PM me.

Andy
Sorry to hear that. I know how you feel as i've just had to fork out for a new throttle cable to be fitted after breaking down last week outside Bakewell. Luckily though i have just enough left to get to Crewe and back and get a ticket (thanks Crewe for freeing up a few quid in my pocket by charging me £20 to get in. NOT!!! Hope we beat you and you go down!) Thieves! Anyway, hope you get sorted with a lift and you have my sympathies re: the car. :scarf:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Sterling job, as ever, Nick. Well done.

For me, i see us thumping back down to earth with a 2-0 defeat, which is sure to coincide with the return of Brucie to the forum! :)
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

For me this will be an interesting test of our defensive credentials. If we can maintain the defensive form of the last two games then I fancy us to go on to win. But, I'm not yet convinced by the Saah/Ellis partnership, well though they both played against Wimbledon and Hereford.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

That is a sensible opinion Modgull and i too would like to see a defensive togetherness that has seen us not concede in two; however, my worry is that Martin will send the lads out there to keep it tight and focus on being defensive. I say defensive but i call it negative if you aren't willing to get forward on the counter attack. Performances at Shrewsbury, Bradford and Southend have all followed the same pattern of defensive football played across the park from side to side. Obviously we are not Barcelona but they pass and move, we just pass.This invites the opposition to press us high up the pitch almost so we cannot escape our own half. This combined with nobody willing to offer an outlet to relieve the pressure results in goals being conceded. Like i have said before, confidence is high at the minute but if Ling sets us up to play like we did in our last 3 away games then we will be beaten comfortably. IMO if we continue in a positive vein and play with purpose and confidence then there is no reason why we cannot go there and win. I just wonder which Torquay is going to turn up on the day. Heres hoping that Martin sees the light and goes gung ho.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Andy, would you rather us go gung ho and lose 3-0, or start to keep it tight at the back and get a point?

At Plainmoor the formation works - not so sure if it'll work as well away from home..
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

NickGull wrote:At Plainmoor the formation works - not so sure if it'll work as well away from home..
In the last two home games the formation has worked, simply because we scored against the run of play/on the break.

Teams that win away are categorised as scoring against the run of play/on the break ?

Carry on our recent home form at Crewe ?
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"