International evening

General chat about anything else goes here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

International evening

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

This deserves it's own thread and allows me to release much joy. AUSTRIA BEAT FINLAND 3-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HALLELUJAH - WE HAVE ACTUALLY MANAGED TO WIN A GAME OF FOOTBALL!!! PRAISE THE LORD!!! :bow:

England came back well and the Phil Jones pass to Young for the leveller was exquisite but they were punished for switching off. Holland were pure class at times and their finishing was clinical. England all round don't have the quality and confidence IMO but they did ok tonight. Italy continue to piss me off as they lost 1-0 to USA. Surely a match fixing allegation in there somewhere? Not by me though in case any legals are perusing ( Matt! ). Germany losing 2-1 against France was a surprise. What wasn't a surprise was Wales' 1-0 defeat at home to Costa Rica and even less of a surprise was Chris Colemans excuses blaming the performance on the tribute night for Gary Speed. Speed's death was tragic but it has been and gone and you are employed to manage Wales to the best of your ability, sadly you don't have any ability as is proven by your record as a league manager therefore you choose to dismiss the game and blame sombreness for the defeat. You can look forward to this Wales fans as Coleman is taking you nowhere. John Hartson is the man to take you forward.

Anyway, Janko - Harnik and enigmatic Ivanschitz give the mighty Osterreich a 3-1 win over that footballing powerhouse Finland. Crack open the Steigl!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Better team lost tonight (see Evans, this time it's actually true, you fat c**t). Sucker punched with two quick goals and a deflected winner. First England goal offside, but he was in so much space, that's merely a technicality, since that extra 18 inches wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference (don't bother, we're all already there).

Nice to see that we were good and we managed it without the usual gaggle of crocked old retards who have served us so embarrassingly for the last 20 years.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I only watched the last bit of the England game and we looked fairly good for that. I've heard the rest wasn't quite so good though. We really need a manager in quickly so he has time to prepare for the Euros, and that person cannot be Pearce.

Slovakia beat Turkey 2-1 away. A very good start to the post Weiss era, even if letting him go was an unbelievably bad decision. Weiss and Stoch were excellent on the wings, helped by Turkey giving them a huge amount of space to counter. But with Hamsik, Weiss and Stoch, Slovakia have a pretty good counter attacking midfield. If they can carry on that type of form, then the 2014 qualifiers should be fun to watch at the very least.

Weiss's opener is well worth a watch too:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/go ... -v-turkey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I'm not sure whether to say it's a refreshing change or not. Most of the names were known but none could have really been what you would call the usual household names as the major stars with perhaps the odd exception. Gerrard . No Terry.No Lampard. No Beckham. no Walcot he was on the bench. None of the old has beens etc. it had the air of a team rather than a gaggle of "stars" managed by a guy who has worked hard. isn't nec the star we are looking for but cold possibly galvanise the team to play for each other and spring a few surprises. I have always admired the Dutch with the exception of the world cup winning team that played dirty. In the main they have been an entertaining team with flair and style and can shoot like they are firing off excocet missiles.
we managed to keep up with them in the main after all they only lost by the odd goal. Granted it was pure class which we haven't quite got yet. but a winning team is more than a bunch of single stars swanning about highly paid thinking of the next girl they can get in bed and how much money they can con out of us.
This team had none of that. They had to work hard. it reminded me of the Welsh team. no real stars. Just working hard for each other so that any class they do have can flourish in a relaxed atmosphere. I am not a particular England supporter, But I would rather watch this team than the lazy has beens that have been in the team for the last few years.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

austrianandygull wrote:This deserves it's own thread and allows me to release much joy. AUSTRIA BEAT FINLAND 3-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HALLELUJAH - WE HAVE ACTUALLY MANAGED TO WIN A GAME OF FOOTBALL!!! PRAISE THE LORD!!! :bow:

England came back well and the Phil Jones pass to Young for the leveller was exquisite but they were punished for switching off. Holland were pure class at times and their finishing was clinical. England all round don't have the quality and confidence IMO but they did ok tonight. Italy continue to piss me off as they lost 1-0 to USA. Surely a match fixing allegation in there somewhere? Not by me though in case any legals are perusing ( Matt! ). Germany losing 2-1 against France was a surprise. What wasn't a surprise was Wales' 1-0 defeat at home to Costa Rica and even less of a surprise was Chris Colemans excuses blaming the performance on the tribute night for Gary Speed. Speed's death was tragic but it has been and gone and you are employed to manage Wales to the best of your ability, sadly you don't have any ability as is proven by your record as a league manager therefore you choose to dismiss the game and blame sombreness for the defeat. You can look forward to this Wales fans as Coleman is taking you nowhere. John Hartson is the man to take you forward.

Anyway, Janko - Harnik and enigmatic Ivanschitz give the mighty Osterreich a 3-1 win over that footballing powerhouse Finland. Crack open the Steigl!
Are you off your head? USA are a decent TEAM. Yes team. They have good players but work very hard for each other.
Aussie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Aussie »

New manager, new captain, new strip, lots of new players same old England! No decent centre backs and same sideways/backwards passing, needs a sh1t load more work doing to it before the Euros and there`s only one friendly left! No chance England are going to win this coming tourno so why not use it to build for the next World Cup, No offense Scoucers but Stevie G is finished at international level ( if he was ever good enough in the first place ) I`m glad to see Lampard, Rio and some of the old rubbish assigned to the bin, this next 2 years should be about the F.A. regulating foriegn imports to the Prem and trying to help the national team progress instaed of line their filthy pockets with our money!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

usagullmichigan wrote: Are you off your head? USA are a decent TEAM. Yes team. They have good players but work very hard for each other.

I really meant in terms of expectation. If England, Holland, Germany etc played the USA they would be expected to beat them so from that perspective it was a surprise. USA are a good team like you say but not in the same league as the countries i have just mentioned including Italy therefore my jape about the match fixing was appropriate. However, i do apologise for getting on your tits about England a few days ago and now USA. Sorry USAMG :-/
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

There were some possitives from last night and lets not forget that Holland were in the final of the World Cup so there are a decent team.....thought Walbeck and Sturridge played well...and Young had a good game too...well taken goal...and Scott Parker gave 100% ....it was importtant to let the younguns have experience at top level as they are the future.....what a game and Damn that Robben !!!!
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

austrianandygull wrote:
I really meant in terms of expectation. If England, Holland, Germany etc played the USA they would be expected to beat them so from that perspective it was a surprise. USA are a good team like you say but not in the same league as the countries i have just mentioned including Italy therefore my jape about the match fixing was appropriate. However, i do apologise for getting on your tits about England a few days ago and now USA. Sorry USAMG :-/

I was only messing around the other day. I would not expect any team to beat the US anymore. Don't get me wrong I follow the team as I live here but England is my passion. The US team is a strong team now and is getting stronger.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

austrianandygull wrote: I really meant in terms of expectation. If England, Holland, Germany etc played the USA they would be expected to beat them so from that perspective it was a surprise.
Really.

England couldn't beat USA in the World Cup and finished behind them in the group.

USA will win the World Cup before England will.

Plus following the US teams is so much more fun than watching the build em up smash em down tactic that the media in England use for the national team.

http://www.matchfitusa.com/2011/06/its- ... ts-me.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Additional - have the England players not been watching Arjen Robben at all for any of his career. The thing you know about his is don't show him inside onto his left foot. They did it twice. This is why everybody thinks footballers are stupid - because they clearly are.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Italy won the world cup in 06 by cheating their way past a better team who out played them. That team was the US. In about 3 world cups time the US will be a super strong soccer nation. When you see all the academies and soccer programs here. I think we English could learn a thing or two from the states right now.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I was mildly impressed with England under Pearce.

However, there do seem to be a group of doom-dwellers for England that can only see the negatives, particularly on the BBC blogs!

Some people on there were actually complaining about Cahill scoring that goal, because apparently it showed tactical ineptness (is that a word? Sure...). I have, and many people have, longed for an England side that shows some inginuity and creativity. I would much prefer us to lose 4-3 and shows some flair and to want to win the game, than meandering our way to a 1-0 defeat. There were signs of some returning creativity and flair, and for that i applaud Pearce.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Never mind all that, what about ex-England manager Peter's Taylor's current charges Bahrain handing out a 10-0 whooping to Indonesia? They needed a 9 goal margin of victory of margin to proceed, and had to hope that Qatar lost to Iran.

That game was 2-2. oops.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

happytorq wrote:

USA will win the World Cup

Not in your lifetime ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Southampton Gull wrote:
Not in your lifetime ;-)
Blatant piss-poor editing; I said 'before England do' Whether or not I've snuffed by that time is irrelevant. :)

(even though I think it'll be within 30 years, so there's a fair-to-middling chance I'll be around)