Michael Poke...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Michael Poke...

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Doesn't look like he is getting a look in at Brighton...just one League Cup appearance as sub - can't imagine he is enjoying that.

With the way Scott has played this season - would he get a game at Plainmoor now???
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

He has made one howler this season, it was shown on soccer am a month or two ago. Maybe that is what put poyet off of him? He is third choice now I think
The gulls are going up
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

gullno4 wrote:He has made one howler this season, it was shown on soccer am a month or two ago. Maybe that is what put poyet off of him? He is third choice now I think
It wasn't just one howler, I thought there were 3 in one game? Either way I am liking where Bevan is at the moment and it is the best I have seen him play since he joined us (also everyone I contact in Southampton seems to know him).
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Michael Poke did the job for us and that's what counts.

Bevan or Poke at the time I was happy with. Neither let us down and the job got done.

Scotty is currently doing his job well IMO.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Trojan 67 wrote:Michael Poke did the job for us and that's what counts.

Bevan or Poke at the time I was happy with. Neither let us down and the job got done.

Scotty is currently doing his job well IMO.
i have to say, now scotty has fully recovered from his long term injury that held him back from being a top class keeper, he is now IMO better than poke.
holsten
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by holsten »

Surely he could see that he's not going to get 1st choice at Brighton all the time. I feel for him, one mistake has cost him.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Pokey has always been a bit of a funny one for me in terms of on-and-off form.

When he first joined us I thought he was outstanding, but his loan deal was cut short and we were punished by it. When he signed for the second season in the conference I was ecstatic, but he seemed to suffer with the general poor form at the start of said season and didn't look anywhere near as good. Sure enough he got injured, we brought in Bevan who looked (at the time) the better keeper, the form improved and Bevan kept his spot.

Fair play to Pokey, who still did his bit for the club and was required at the end of that season and was instrumental in the play-off success - tipping that last minute shot onto the bar at Histon was breathtaking. It was clear that Bevan was struggling with injury at the start of last season and that massively affected his form, Pokey came back and turned in game after game of outstanding performance.

I was fairly gutted that Pokey didn't sign permanently in the summer, but I'm guessing he wouldn't have been cheap. Bevan has clearly worked hard (I'm sure I read in the summer he forsake his place on the annual TUFC summer holiday to stay at home and work on his fitness), and in my opinion has come back better than ever. To be honest this thread is the first time Pokey has crossed my mind since he left.

There isn't a lot between them in ability - I'd say Pokey is the better shot stopper but Bevs is a much more sound cross-handler. If Pokey were to come back, he certainly wouldn't make the starting XI as there is no reason to drop Bevs.

I don't think the role of Danny Potter should be belittled either. Seems to be the model number 2, has a good rapport with Bevs and as wel all know would be a more than capable deputy if required. Its a testament to the fitness work that Bevan has done that he's kept himself injury free and thus kept Potter confined to the bench.
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

Talking of goalies, anyone know what's happened to Martin Rice? Did he move to Truro? Anyone seen him lately?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Does footage exist of these "howlers?"

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

ferrarilover wrote:Does footage exist of these "howlers?" Matt.
I think it was in the PSFs Matt. Poyet critisised him publicly and went out and got another keeper, moving Pokey down to 3rd choice (which probably didnt help his confidence) :(
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Shirley though, this is why God invented the PSF, such that players could settle in to plying competetive matches once again. So he flapped in his first match, he takes himself outside, gives himself a talking to and redoubles his efforts in training.

I guess this means no footage, which is a shame, because I'd like to see just what qualifies as a clangar so bad that Poyet effectively writes off a player, his salary and his transfer fee after 90 minutes.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

He played in all the Brighton PSF's along with their other "reserve" goalie (Poke played most of the match and then the sub goalie came on in the second half each time). it would appear that neither of them gave Poyet much confidence in their ability as he went out and signed another keeper and put him straight into the team for their first league match. He has been there ever since.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Pokey did the job for us, that's what counts and we'll remember him for that. When Scotty got injured towards the end of THAT season, we had another great 'keeper who came in and did the business.

Scotty is in such good form at the moment (and I hope it stays this way) that none us really know how Danny Potter will perform.

I put my trust in the judgement of our fine young manager (who's learning all the time) to have picked a capable No.2 who could well become our capable No.1.

And if one of our 'keepers were out through injury ?

Get on the phone Bucks and get him in, he's not let you down.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

After seeing Potter play against Swindon in the JPT I was immediately reminded of Martin Rice. Harsh on just one game but he really didn't look capable of displacing Bevan.

Goalkeeping is all about confidence however so maybe if he knew he had a run of games we would see a far better performance than the one I saw.

Poke was always my favourite out of him and Bevan and I would disagree with smiffs that Bevan is a better aerial keeper, Pokes command of the box and handling of crosses was fantastic apart from one glaring error away at Crewe last season.
Dave

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Southampton Gull wrote:After seeing Potter play against Swindon in the JPT I was immediately reminded of Martin Rice. Harsh on just one game but he really didn't look capable of displacing Bevan.

Goalkeeping is all about confidence however so maybe if he knew he had a run of games we would see a far better performance than the one I saw.
Agree with you Dave and "we're only as good as our last game."

I'm only as good as my last effort at anything and always know there's room for improvement. I'm sure Danny Potter will have been disappointed with his performance in that game. Each and everyone of us wants to excel at what we do best and are disappointed when we don't achieve it.

In my last game of football I scored a goal in a 5-1 win. The fact I was playing up front and should have scored more I won't argue with. "Twitch" my strike partner on the day, got the other four so job done.

As my last game was a success it doesn't mean I was any good. :)