The Olympic Thread

General chat about anything else goes here.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

The Olympic Thread

Post by stevegull »

Figured we should have a place where we can post our musings on the games.

Women's football kicked off the Games last night and aside from the North/South Korean flag blunder it started okay for Britain!

Looking forward to the opening ceremony tomorrow so the real olympic sports can get going!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Team GB men's team in action tonight.

Don't agree with this all staring before the opening ceremony though.

Also - this is a celebration of the Olympics coming to Britain - and David Beckham was an instrumental part in achieving this. He should be (without doubt) in the Team GB squad and really angers me that he is not.

Pearce has gone right down in my estimations - bloody Bellamy? What has that rat faced tool ever done for football - let alone Britain? Sod off!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

I'm not sure on this Beckham thing. Lord Coe helped get us the games; but it doesn't mean i want to see him enter the running!

I don't really think football should be in the Olympics anyway. I think that the olympics should be the pinnacle of the sports involved. So i would also rule out Golf and tennis. If these sports do have to be involved then I'd make it so amateur athletes have the chance. Like take a GB squad from Blue Square Premier and below.

I agree with you on Bellamy though. You've said it all!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Most people on the street don't give a fig about Olympic football including myself, so why should the players make an effort. If i was playing and i was aware of the massive general apathy towards the footy then i wouldn't want to be playing in a million years. I liken it to the early rounds of the JP Trophy where none of the players are happy to be playing and can't motivate themselves because they know most fans don't give a toss about the competition. Football shouldn't be at the Olympics IMO like Steve says.

As for most of the other events, well they are pretty much all on substances anyway so there isn't much raw athleticism going on. Just let them ALL take whatever they want and THEN have the events. We'll at least have a level playing field unlike Underhill!

I am looking forward to to the K1 KAYAK slalom, the mens events get underway on the 29th but apart from that i'd prefer to watch repeats of Superstar on ITV1 than the Olympics.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

austrianandygull wrote:Most people on the street don't give a fig about Olympic football including myself, so why should the players make an effort. If i was playing and i was aware of the massive general apathy towards the footy then i wouldn't want to be playing in a million years. I liken it to the early rounds of the JP Trophy where none of the players are happy to be playing and can't motivate themselves because they know most fans don't give a toss about the competition. Football shouldn't be at the Olympics IMO like Steve says.

As for most of the other events, well they are pretty much all on substances anyway so there isn't much raw athleticism going on. Just let them ALL take whatever they want and THEN have the events. We'll at least have a level playing field unlike Underhill!

I am looking forward to to the K1 KAYAK slalom, the mens events get underway on the 29th but apart from that i'd prefer to watch repeats of Superstar on ITV1 than the Olympics.
Horrible! Surely you can appreciate top level sport with athletes from around the globe playing in our back yard! I can't wait for it!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Yeah it is horrible Steve but better than watching the Olympics and billions of pounds cheaper too. :clap:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

it's totally f**ked the traffic around here !! and the public transport is a shambles.

i was looking forward to it from the moment we were awarded the games, but the ridiculous "lottery" of getting tickets to any decent events (yes, i was one of the thousands who applied for lots and got sweet fa), has spoilt it for me. would've been great to take the kids to something at the olympic park. was even thinking of going just to stroll around and be a part of it, but refer to my first comment for that !!

could've got tickets to the footy at wembley, but to me that wouldn't really feel like "the olympics" and would be nothing new/special, so i didn't bother.

other than that, i'm really looking forward to it. =D
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

austrianandygull - I see you have not got an avatar

This is for you - you miserable g1t!!
Attachments
2012.jpg
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

:rofl:

Quality stuff Richinns!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Nice to see the Women Team GB will be in the next round of the olympics.

Not sure if the men will be considering we couldnt beat Senegal who played for a draw.
GazTheGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: ...

Post by GazTheGull »

Saw the women start the Olympics on Wednesday, got tickets for GB vs Uruguay on Wednesday, some Beach Volleyball on Friday, a couple of athletics over the weekend into the next week and then the mens football final at Wembley. Still laughing about Gareth Bale, not fit enough to play at the Olympics, but fit enough to sprint round the pitch for 60 odd minutes for Spurs.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

How disappointing were the men in the long road race?! Leading the peloton counts for nothing if you can't catch the pack! It was such a frustrating watch and you knew that the GB Team only had to be near the leaders to give Cavendish a good shot for a medal. Tactics cost them big time.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It wasn't their tactics that cost them the race, it was the tactics of rival teams in not doing their share of the work to try and stop Cavendish.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

The nationality of the doubles pair who knocked out the Murray brothers in the tennis yesterday anyone? :~D
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

German?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com