Mathieu Manset

General chat about anything else goes here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Mathieu Manset

Post by ferrarilover »

YES PLEASE!

It's been mentioned on the Hereford match thread that this guy is a bit of alright. For those unsure, he was the MASSIVE, negro, no 9 who gave Ellis and Pickles a torrid time yesterday. Unfortunately, the Hereford forum is populated entirely by idiots, so the only thread relevant to yesterday's match is about the total non-event in the pub beforehand, so we can't get a handle on whether yesterday was a one off, or if he is that good every week.

I know we have no money, and the last thing I want is for us to 'sell' Bucks to raise some cash, but Hereford are looking to spend money to dig themselves out of the poo and I'm sure a small but reasonable offer would prise him away. Perhaps ship out Gritton to save the relevant wages?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
robc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by robc »

Er, no offense meant, I'm a regular reader but not regular poster, but negro? Really? Is it me or did we just enter 2011 and not 1971...
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

On the subject of Hereford and idiots my dear papa was asked if he'd had a decent journey. He replied that he only lived a short walk away to which the Man United shirt wearer told him that he should be supporting his local team. :rofl:
On topic, yes this fella is good would love to have him with us.
Also no offence intended but I see robc's point.
robc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by robc »

Just before this escalates, I am not for one minute suggesting that ferrarilover intended any malice or negativity in his choice of word, but I think it's a bit naive to think it's an acceptable word these days.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I didn't think the word negro was offensive to be honest, but am open to being proved wrong.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I would think/hope that Matt is just messing around. Usually his posts are fairly random, so I doubt any malice was intended, like you say.

I understand where you're coming from though, rob.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Having read many of his posts I agree that nothing was meant by it. He's a very entertaining poster, shameless MOTM canvassing aside :)
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Sort of bringing this back on topic, there was a lady sitting behind me who - from what I could gather - was a Hereford local, and said the Manset normally only lasts an hour and was used as more as an impact sub. On the strength of that I was hoping he was going to be taken off, but he lasted the 90. To be fair he did look knackered midway through the second half, but still was able use a burst of pace or a bit of trickery to cause problems.

After all that, although he was impressive yesterday I wouldn't want him. Come on, this guy would just be another Morike Sako! As much as I loved the big man, he was a bit-part impact player who could pull out the sublime or the ridiculous. Ask any Bristol Rovers or Wycombe fan and they'd tell you how great Sako was, but then ask any Lincoln or <insert League 2 club name here> and they'll say he was useless. Manset looked to be exactly that. Yesterday was a good day for him and he paid for it, but if he did that week in, week out he wouldn't be prancing around league 2 defenses.

I'd love us to have someone with that sort of impact, but if we were to make a signing now I'd much rather have a Scotty Rendell-type player who could consistently deliver the goods.
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

Southampton Gull wrote:I didn't think the word negro was offensive to be honest, but am open to being proved wrong.

Of course you don't find the word Negro offensive Dave...because your'e not a Negro!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

HardofHerringGull wrote:
Of course you don't find the word Negro offensive Dave...because your'e not a Negro!

Martin Luther King and Malcolm X used the word negro to describe their race so I'm not the only one am I?

I wasn't for one minute dismissing that it could be, just that I didn't think it was. Do you?
Dave

Chow Mein
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Bruno Meirelles

Post by Chow Mein »

If Hereford were looking to get out of trouble then why would they contemplate selling Manset?

Reid from Newport County would be worth a gamble, release Gritton free up some wages. I'm sure Chris Todd would recommend a move to the Gulls.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Just to get back on track

I would love to see John Akinde join the club. Surely a better prospect than Manset, who lets face it caught a Torquay side desperately weak in defence yesterday, I have heard Bristol City are prepered to let him go. That is not surprising he been loaned out several times already and is currently at.....Bristol Rovers. His loan spell is ending so e could be up for grabs.

Buckle would know him well from his time at Ebbsfleet. He is best known recently for his loan at Wycombe which saw him score for fun. Bristol City were not in the position to let him go there, but since signing Pitman and some other forward I can't remember they are quite strong up front.
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

Southampton Gull wrote:

Martin Luther King and Malcolm X used the word negro to describe their race so I'm not the only one am I?

I wasn't for one minute dismissing that it could be, just that I didn't think it was. Do you?[/quote

Yes I do find the word Negro offensive...but obviously it's just me eh!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

John Akinde would be decent. Targetman, useful in the air, bit of pace on him.

His scoring record isn't that good though. Only that stint at Wycombe saw him be a consistent scorer, getting 7 in 11. Currently he's played 13 for Rovers in L1 and is yet to score.

Maybe League One is too hard for him at this stage in his career - he is only 21 after all.

As for Manset; I think he is only standing out in a piss-poor Hereford squad, really.

A striker I'd like to see is George Donnelly. a couple of successful stints with Stockport but I think his loan ends in January. Can see him going back there though.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

No not just you, Del. Personally I didn't see it as an offensive term, my post was intended to gauge opinion and then decide what if any action to take, but as usual you just want to turn it into something personal which is just harming the smooth-running of the site, so I'll just ignore you from now on and we can sort it out next time we meet, over a beer.
Dave