Important match tonite

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Important match tonite

Post by Glostergull »

Apologies to the mods in case they think this should be on the bante board. but we play them shortly and i thought it relevant.

I have been keeping an eye on the goings on with fans giving me reports of what is happening at the Memorial Stadium at the moment. I have brought this up as we are playing them in a couple of weeks time.
Normally i wouldn't be too worried as they have had a torrid time lately with awful atmosphere, but I got a nasty feeling that things are about to change there.
One main reason is a signing they made a week or so ago.
Derek Riordan. I have done some groundwork on this guy. he fits nicely with Mcghoos philosophy. He is looking to ressurect a career that looked to have gone off the rails. and he is still only 29 so should be at the peak of his career. he played for 3 of the top SPL side and also gained 3 full caps with the national team. Was Scottish Young player of the year in 2005. and has topped the score charts for 3 season with 18. 23. 20 goals for Hibs. he transfered to Celtic but didn't seem to get too many chances and found himself eventually transfered back to Hibs. he is also the third highest goalscorer in SPL history behind a couple of better known players. he seems a dark horse but it seems his attitude has spoilt what could have been a glittering career. he is a little bit of a Zebroski having a troubled history. he is also due in court to answer charges over a fight. he is accused of affray. It seems Rovers one one hand show the door to those who have a troubled history. ie Pipe. yet are ready to welcome others in.
This guy alone could destroy us. he was wanted by both Cardiff City and Burnley who both offered big fees. 500.00 was touted.I have no doubt that had he taken the offer he could have either been a top player for them now or in the Prem.
We have to play them on the 20th and I have a nasty feeling that he could upset the applecart.
his debut on Saturday apparently excited Rovers fans, and the ones I have spoked to say he was instrumental in helping them win the game. he outplayed all on the park, but seemed to stay under the Radar. shame we hadn't spotted him. He was exaclty what we are looking for. Providing he keeps his nose clean he will do very well. He has just become a dad so it may galvanise him too.
His last club in the SPL was St Johnstone.
I will keep an eye out for his display tonite and report.
I just hope our management team are watching he needs tagging.
I would love to still keep the ascendancy over them for a good while longer if possible.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Released by St Johnstone. Signed for a League 2 team. He doesn't scare me, whoever he is!

EDIT: Good record for Hibs, mind... ;-)
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Not a very good player at all. Gary Kenneth is a much better player they signed from Scotland this summer alone. Riordan is similar to players like Zander Diamond at Burton - decent enough at this level but no-one to be scared of.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

I wouldn't be too complacent. He has the record you cant take that away from him and if he contibues his start at Rovers you might well have to swallow your word. We hope not. I have never taken things for granted. Most of the time he left a team is because he made bad choices not because he wasn't very good. after all how many Cambridge fans said Brian Saah wasn't very good. or those who previously had David Graham on their books. He wasn't very good? then came a set plainmoor alight. I have a hunch Riordan could be the one. I pray his problem temperament gets the better of him for our sake. Having said that. It's only 3 points. But hate to lose even one point.

Mr Burnz
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sako

Post by Mr Burnz »

But we have Rene.

If anyone is to fear, its him.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Graham and Saah were both relatively young when they arrived in League 2. Riordan is at an age where he is not going to improve. I stand to be corrected, but can't see him running rings around our centre halves.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Hehehe, Zebroski has scored for Cheltenham.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

& Brizzle couldn't respond.

:)
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Interesting match tonite.
I have never seen such a bunch of fans who couldn't agree on the colour of the sky let alone who was best on the pitch tonite.
Some of them say Broghammer was awfull. He was very good. shame for them he didn't manage to get a goal.
Some acknowledge he was their best player on tonite.
Many point to Riordan being off the pace of Saturday. He had only just flown down from Scotland having seen his wife give birth. he shouldnt have flown down really but it does show the commitment on the man and they need players like him. I thought he was ok and when not knackered from flying straight into a match he would be a lot better.
Eaves looks a good prospect. sharp and intelligent tonite but not if you listen to Rovers fans. do they have any IQ
Clarckson was a threat yet again and if he form a partnership with Broghammer and Eaves forms a partnership with Riordan then the two pairs could really cause problems.
I have seen teams where two players can form a partnership and be a real pair of tearaways scoring freely, but I don't think I have seen two pairs form two sets of partnerships. I remain to be proved wrong. break up these two pairs and you stop Rovers dead.
Their goalkeeper was brilliant. reminds me of when we first got Bobby, this guy should be pushing for the first team at Fulham very soon.
The rest of the team, very ordinary. nothing to worry about, Zebs looked decent but should have been a far greater threat. he wasn't really. Norburn was ok but we have the players to nullify him, provided we keep him quiet we are ok. he can really make the midlfield tick if allowed. Garry Keneth had a quiet nite except for the high ball he badly misjudged and let Zebs in for the goal on a rebound.
For Cheltenham, Guess who was their main threat. Yup Mcglashan. I would love to see him in Yellow. if agains't us then it would be custard but our own shirt would be better. Elliot was good too. we should have had him when we had the chance. that's of course assuming we could have afforded him.
I cannot comment on what threat or how Harrold fits in, having not seen him with this team and these players.
Give them a couple of games and it will be interesting to see how they go. Having said that. The politics behind the scenes seems to have a bearing on what happens on the pitch. Thats the overiding problem I am sure. it started way back in Trollops days and hasn't stopped. I have seen this happen before and it spreads like a cancer. There is reports from fans I know of problems higher up but I cannot confirm or deny it. But something is not right there. it seems a shame that the club still has a fair way to go. I remain cautious about our match but will be watching with interest the next couple of weeks.

Having done all that. I will be glad to get back to just watching our team. rather than spending all my time anylising why and what makes a team tick. I cant watch all the other things that go in the match.

SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Reading their site, it seems Rovers fans are getting what they deserved. I know you can't make broad stereotypes but it seems they have a tendency to destroy players confidence.

They won't turn it around while their home games have such a poisonous atmosphere. I wonder how long they'll give Mr Magoo?
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

I dont know about slagging off the players. You want to hear what they say about Mr Mgoo. He is on borrowed time already. Yes it seems he may have made a couple of mistakes but I heard his interview on radio on the way home last nite and he seemed so apologetic yet at the same time he was saying it's not all bad desite supporters saying it was crap. he took a lot of positives from the game. I tend to agree, The atmosphere is poisonous there and they are not as bad as some would make out. But with such an atmosphere i wouldn;t want to go back there for a long time. well maybe to see us wallop em. And thats a sore point. a very sore point. I have to do an expo in cardiff on that day and i cant get out of it. Booohhoooooooo. Waaaaaaaa sniffle it aint fair. I am going to make sure it rains for 3 days before and make it torrential so it get called off. then I can go.
Or I could make sure there is borax in the tea. hehe. hubble bubble toil and trouble.