Oastler or Leadbitter...??

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Oastler or Leadbitter...??

Post by Gullscorer »

Based on recent/current form, who would you have in the team on Saturday? Oastler or Leadbitter? Difficult choice, but since Leadbitter had a very decent game tonight, I would keep him in the starting line-up..
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Never change a winning formula. Leadbitter didn't do a lot wrong tonight, and as much as I rate Joe it was his own poor performance that has brought about this quandary, Danny deserves the chance to continue.

Probably not too disimilar to Atieno playing instead of Howe last season despite Howe being available again following suspension. Danny has had to be very patient in waiting for his chance, and didn't let anyone down, it is now down to Oastler to earn his place back. I am sure he will bounce back and play a big part of our season though.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Agreed. Oastler will have to wait for his chance - he has not been at his best this season that's for sure.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Joe Oastler is a young player with stacks of potential, personally rate him, however I really do think Joe is not having the best of times on the pitch and as said Danny leadbitter didn't do a lot wrong, in fact just got better as the game went on.

Leadbitter deserves his chance.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Modgull wrote:Agreed. Oastler will have to wait for his chance - he has not been at his best this season that's for sure.
This thread suggests otherwise!
http://www.torquayfans.com/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=4786

Tough one this for me. Leadbitter has taken his chance but Oastler (for me) has been a very consistent performer this and last year. If you had said we would be seriously considering this choice 3 games ago I would have falling over laughing but fair play to Daniel for changing that.

I will trust Martin's choice but personally I think he will go with Oastler
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Both good players with big potential who will both play their parts in the Gulls' future, but teams are selected on players' current form as much as on their potential and their innate abilities and other factors.

As you say, will trust in Ling, but it's great to have this dilemma: the squad overall is stronger than it was last season, and with greater potential, and I can see us making a promotion challnge after the new year.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

i think he should stick with leadbitter, he did a solid job last night and he has pace which joe lacks
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Leadbitter has got such an engine on him. Hes like Mansell but 10 years younger.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Got to say that I was impressed with Leadbitter last night and suprised - first time I have seen him show anything. At fault for their goal but I thought he did really well. On that peformance I wouldn't drop him for oastler on saturday
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

brucie wrote:Got to say that I was impressed with Leadbitter last night and suprised - first time I have seen him show anything. At fault for their goal but I thought he did really well. On that peformance I wouldn't drop him for oastler on saturday
:O
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Ben makes a good point in mentioning a similar dilemma last season with Howe and Atieno. On that occasion i said you have to stick with your best players therefore Howe should get the nod. Atieno was about as talented as the line up about to be unveiled on I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here so it was a no brainer. Oastler v Leadbitter though is a different kettle of fish, and not a small kettle filled with sticklebacks but a MASSIVE kettle rammed with Sturgeon! I haven't seen a lot of Leadbitter but from what i've seen he has done really well and he is quick. Joe, you all know i rate highly but admittedly his form is beginning to deteriorate not helped by his red at Rovers so perhaps on this occasion it may be wise to keep Leadbitter in there and let Joey recharge and reflect and see what happens.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

NickGull wrote:Leadbitter has got such an engine on him. Hes like Mansell but 10 years younger.
Imagine a Lee Mansell with the pace of Leadbitter. THAT would be some player.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Leadbitter for me. He hasnt done anything wrong on the whole to deserve being dropped. And I dont think we should change a winning team. Especially one that played so well against the league leaders.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I was surprised by the pace of Leadbitter last Saturday. There he was running for the ball towards the goalie, then I blinked and he was up t'other end of the pitch.

Oh and I wouldn't change a winning team unless it is absolutely necessary through injuries/ suspensions.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Thankfully, I don't think that right back is one of the critical positions for us. Leadbitter or Oastler can both do a decent enough job in there for my liking.

I am more concerned with the midfield. The margins this season seem to be very fine between challenging for playoffs and looking over your shoulder at the bottom 4/5. A midfield that clicks and can accomodate changes as required is much more critical to our success this season.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.